cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

City water connection

tshirtman
Explorer
Explorer
New to us 3 year old Jayco and looking at the city water connection it seems to need cleaning. what do I use and how do I do it .
Familiar with the fresh water sanitizing, is it the same procedures?
Or should I just replace and not have to worry about the cleaning?
Thanks to all:)
4 REPLIES 4

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
You mean the screen or internally? The inlet has a removable screen that can be pulled out and replaced. The city water inlet has a check valve inside with a spring/valve mechanism and these can get plugged up with sediment. With the screen off, you could try flushing the valve. Don't poke anything in there that can damage the check valve. If the check valve cannot be cleaned, there are two options. One - replace the entire city water inlet which will also involve a little caulking - not a big deal really. Two - undo the water line from the inside and punch out the guts of the inlet, clean and install a new check valve on the interior side of the inlet. Make sure to get all the pieces out. Interior side of the inlet will have standard 1/2" threads and check valves are available at any plumbing or RV parts supplier.

I removed the guts from our city water inlet and enlarged the opening to improve flow and then installed a good quality commercial grade check valve on the interior side. Our inlet was easily accessible behind the kitchen drawers and had a 1/2" swivel fitting that made this mod easy.

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
Mine has a removable screen just inside. I did replace after eleven years as it began leaking. If you bleach rinse rinse rinse. Best of luck
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
tshirtman wrote:
New to us 3 year old Jayco and looking at the city water connection it seems to need cleaning. what do I use and how do I do it .
Familiar with the fresh water sanitizing, is it the same procedures?
Or should I just replace and not have to worry about the cleaning?
Thanks to all:)

I'd start with bleach/water and if that doesn't work just replace it. I replaced ours this past weekend for about $20 & 30 minutes of time.

Here's a link to my post:
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/28777517.cfm
2000 KZ Sportsman 2505 (overhauled & upgraded 2014)
2016 Chevy Express 3500 15 passanger van
6 humans, 2 cats, and a dog
Visit our blog at www.ROWLESmade.com
Our trailer re-build thread

kalynzoo
Explorer
Explorer
I would use the same concept as fresh water sanitizing. Clorox diluted as a cleaning solution. Clean the exterior with Soft Scrub or equivalent. Since the exterior needs cleaning I would sanitize the tank at the same time. JMHO