cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cleaning Awnings and roofs

luvmydogs
Explorer
Explorer
I know there are expensive products in the rv stores that do this, but last time I did that to clean sensors, the product did nothing and someones home remedy worked better. So's not to spend a fortune unless I have to does anyone have any advice on cleaning an awning? It's white with alot of black on it. As for the roof, its also white and now mostly black. Any ideas?
15 REPLIES 15

MKirkland
Explorer
Explorer
I will also use a magic eraser product, but it is a sponge mop. This magic eraser product is larger so it covers a bigger area. Got it on amazon.

As far as the roof, I take it into our our RV shop. They clean it and take pictures. We have a meeting and discuss what to do next.

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
For the awning I get it wet, spray tilex on it and roll it up for about 30 minutes, unroll it and spray it down and it looks like new. I never clean the roof.

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
I do not clean the roof very often when I do I just slop on a detergent and scrub with a push broom. I cannot walk on my roof so I have to get at it from a ladder on the side.

You can clean our awning all you want but after the first rain, water seeps I to the ends and settles in the low spots. This gives me nice dirt stripes when it unrolls.

Over time I discovered that the awning gives just a much shade with the stripes as without it. So now it is a twice a year type of thing.

Be safe
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

sam22
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've found using a swifter mop on the awning works pretty good
Camper:
2015 Evergreen Ascend 232BHS
Towed with:
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn

luvmydogs
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for your ideas. We did the roof and simply used Dawn and water and a soft scrub brush. I dont know that it looks new, but its not black anymore. A conditioner though sounds like a great idea. The awning we havent tackled yet although used Dawn and a soft brush just on the black you see when its rolled up and it turned white immediatly, so we'll see if when we unroll it, the rest of it comes white that easy too. Thank you all for your help.

WolverineState
Explorer
Explorer
For the awning, I use a Thetford spray on cleaner. You apply, roll the awning back up for some time, and then spray off with a hose. I have had success using this product, but also use the elbow-grease method with a mild cleaner in warm water. Looks like new after 5 years. My main suggestion is preventing mold from forming in the awning when it's rolled up. I found a suggestion on this forum of adding 2 liter bottles (modified) to cap off the ends when it's stored. This is to stop moisture from wicking into the closed awning. Works great and I use them every time it's in storage.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
2x on the Mr. Clean Magic eraser with a bit of elbow grease. Actually, we found the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser on a mop handle, and it's so easy to reach the underside of the awning.

Directions for Mr. Clean Magic Eraser for success: Make the sponge wet, but not completely dripping. Simply wipe it over a small area, about 2 feet x 2 feet. Take a dry towel and wipe if off. Move over 2 more feet and do the same. If there is still some black left, wipe it again and dry off with the towel. DO NOT SCRUB, just a simple wipe.

Mr. Clean Magic Eraser also has the right combination of chemicals that prevents mold and black from coming back. I do my awning, usually during our first camping trip of the season, and then just a simple spot touch up the remainder of the summer to get squashed bug and bug poo off. There again, simple wipe and dry, and done!

Actually, I opened my awning yesterday, (temps got up to about 50 degrees here), and there is no black anywhere. I haven't touched it all winter.

Roof:
I am old school here and bit more protective and a LOT more skeptical. I use only RV rubber roof cleaner sold at WalMart or my local RV dealership, and ALWAYS follow up with the RV roof conditioner. Pour a little on, use a window squeegee to spread it around and let it dry. Keeps the rubber membrane nice and slick! (careful walking on it after applying it will be slick).

That's how I do it.

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
On my awning I have used Magic Eraser with very little elbow grease.

On the EDPM roof I use Murphy Oil Soap and a soft push broom.

IBcarguy
Explorer
Explorer
I just cleaned my awning last week and used Simple Green with a few caps full of bleach to kill the mildew in a bucket with a long scrub brush. It now looks brand new. I suggest using eye protection. Also might want to wear a poncho so your favorite sweat shirt doesn't get bleach spots. I got soaked.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
EdTheEdge wrote:
I use a ladder and good old American elbow grease to clean my awning. A little soap and water helps too....

I tried that too, and never had much luck getting the awning clean. The bleach rollup method works a lot better, and it's a lot easier.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Mikek13
Explorer
Explorer
Iuse Soft Scrub and a brush on the roof and Fantastic 5 in 1 spray on the awning. Be careful with the Fantastic it will bleach you clothes if you get too much on you. As with anything that has bleach in it you should be careful anyway.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've tried commercial products and the various home remedies suggested by forum members and nothing gets it back to factory new condition. As well, our power awning is high off the ground and is harder to use elbow grease on it. Leaves make stains on the top and underside that I just can't get completely out and I gave up (sigh).

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
drsteve wrote:
For the roof I use a push broom and spic and span, simple green, or basically any mild detergent. Keeping the roof clean will also help prevent those nasty looking black streaks down the side of the trailer.

To clean the awning, I use diluted bleach @ 1 cup per gallon or so in a small garden sprayer. Apply to the awning and roll it up. Let it sit for a half hour, unroll it, and hose it off. Heavy soil or mildew may require actual scrubbing.

My only add to this is I use bleach in the soap mix on the roof too.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

EdTheEdge
Explorer
Explorer
I use a ladder and good old American elbow grease to clean my awning. A little soap and water helps too....
HaRVey - 2013 Thor Chateau 22e