cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cleaning EPDM Rubber Roof

facory
Explorer
Explorer
Is it OK to clean the rubber roof with a pressure washer? What to use for cleaning agent.
2008 Cruiser RV Fun FinderXtra
Ford F150 Lariat 4x4 SuperCrew 5.4L 6.5' Bed 150" WB 3.73
Schwinn Mountain Bike
11 REPLIES 11

mommo76
Explorer
Explorer
Hubby is a roofer who works with EPDM. He agrees with simple green, a broom, and a garden hose.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Simple Green and a push broom.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Spray a mixture of bleach, water, car soap on the roof and let it stand for 15 minutes. Rinse well repeat on stubborn areas.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

path1
Explorer
Explorer
I would never recommend anybody use a pressure washer in your roof. But I use a pressure washer with good results and have for many years now. But first a few cautions like anything else.

I have a max 2500 psi that I can turn down the pressure. I use the biggest nozzle I have which is a 40 degree. I won't let the nozzle below my knee level, so nozzle does blast a hole in roof. I don't use soap when using pressure washer, to slippery. I also got tired of inspecting the chalking around all the vents wondering if I missed any little tiny spot where water can get in. So every year I put a coat of rc2000 on the roof. Takes me about hour or hour 1/2. When putting it on I can tell exactly what and where I've done and where I've missed, because its wet looking. That way no surprises with leaks if I've missed a spot. And it turns out great. Just brushes on but takes forever to dry but looks good when done. That is in the spring. (Just finished yesterday, I'll take a pic if I remember) and in the fall I do my soap thing but I Don't get on top of roof when using soap.

Check out inland coatings and some of their "case studies" Surprise for many but RV's aren't the only thing with rubber roofs. Check out some of their case studies

http://www.inlandcoatings.com/casestudies.html

(For fall) If you do use any soap be sure to use something that won't be to strong. I use Dawn maybe a 1/2 cup and put in a garden sprayer, then working with ladder because I don't want to slip and fall. I move around the RV with sprayer in hand and soap down the awning and the roof. After about 20 min I hose it off. I use just enough soap so I can tell where I've sprayed by looking for soap bubbles.

Guess what...I'm doing everything wrong according to the maint guides for EPDM and 99% of people on here. But I don't have any more problems like I used to with neighbors trees and very little mold. And I know I don't have any leaks when I get done.

Takes me longer to break out the ladder, take off vent covers and set up pressure washer than anything else.

(In pic vent covers are still off)

I also bought a 10 foot section of vinyl hose to put over the black pressure water hose because when you pull it around the edge of RV my hose used to leave black marks. Not anymore with clear vinyl tubing around hose.

Forgive all the RV's in back yard. Only some of them are ours.

Lets see, to many RV's

Wife Arctic Fox, Friends parking their pop up while they are in Alaska, Tow vehicle for wives Arctic Fox, Friends very good looking new Dodge 1500 for their pop up, and my great traveling machine "The Mighty Majestic".

PM me if you need more info
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
I have stripped the paint off my house with my pressure washer. I wouldn't recommend it.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
I use Dawn detergent and a soft brush. Takes about 30 minutes to clean the roof, A/C cover and vent covers. Be careful those wet roofs are pretty slick.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

daystrom
Explorer
Explorer
I personally wouldn't use a pressure washer on the roof and if I HAD to I'd use the widest nozzle pattern there was. Mineral spirits will clean the lap sealant.
2012 Crossroads Zinger ZT26BH
2012 Ford F350 Lariat 4x4 6.7L PSD SRW
11,500 GVWR, 3522 lbs of payload

facory
Explorer
Explorer
We store the trailer at home and it's under trees. It accumulates black (dirt?) and debris from the trees. Generally, I wash the roof with Murphy's Oil Soap and a soft brush I use to wash the rest of the trailer. The lap sealant is really blackish. The thing I was afraid of using a pressure washer is forcing water in around the vents and skylights.
2008 Cruiser RV Fun FinderXtra
Ford F150 Lariat 4x4 SuperCrew 5.4L 6.5' Bed 150" WB 3.73
Schwinn Mountain Bike

daystrom
Explorer
Explorer
Ditto. No reason to wash rubber roofs. If you are getting black steaks, clean the gutters.
2012 Crossroads Zinger ZT26BH
2012 Ford F350 Lariat 4x4 6.7L PSD SRW
11,500 GVWR, 3522 lbs of payload

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I would say its a bad idea generally.
bumpy

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Sure, if you know how to use one and aren't concerned with reducing the longevity of the material. It's pretty much a known fact that EPDM sloughs off the outermost layer as it ages so washing intensely only moves that process along quicker.

Some folks have an unusual situation with their parking location, trees, birds, etc. so washing is probably a good thing. If you store your trailer out in the open, there is really no reason to wash the roof.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton