cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

closing off second trailer door

kris09foust
Explorer
Explorer
I was wondering if anybody has taken out a second door on their trailer. My plan is to take the door out and seal it up. Then cut a hole and put a window AC unit in the wall. Just want suggestions on how to do that
9 REPLIES 9

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
My two door model has an escape hatch on one side, a door on the other in the bedroom. The A/C mod is an idea, but I'd probably sooner get a portable unit and vent it out a hole in the door (using a rodent-proof dryer vent) as opposed to completely sealing up the door.

Keith_Haw
Explorer
Explorer
Some 2 door models have an emergency escape window,ours does.

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
Bull Rider wrote:
Most trailers with only one door have an escape window with special hardware that allows the window to be popped out. What will be your second way of egress?

X2 That was my first thought. You should have an emergency exit.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I think I'd make a new door with the AC cutout and bracing built in. You could just bolt it in place and would be able to return to the stock door, if needed. Making a new door may be easier than building new frame and attaching siding, etc.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Bull_Rider
Explorer
Explorer
Most trailers with only one door have an escape window with special hardware that allows the window to be popped out. What will be your second way of egress?
If you receive help from other members, don't forget to update your topic with the results.

kris09foust
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah sorry the trailer is parked. Is also a travel trailer and wall unit in looking at is smaller then the door

Sea_scape
Explorer
Explorer
You didn't say if this is for a parked unit, or a travelling unit. My door is 25.5 inches wide and there is a good chance a vertical unit could be found to fit in that space. I would remove the door and build a frame to support the unit and seal the space. Then if you want to go back to normal, reinstall the door.

If you don't care about the door, you could cut it to fit the vertical unit. Be careful to make sure the outside is well braced.

Another option, though more costly, is a split unit. Then just a hole for the hoses is required.

For travelling, the weight on the outside would be the problem. Could damage the walls due to bounce. Take it out when travelling?

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
Any chance you could just leave the door as is and put the A/C in the rear wall? Trailers aren't built like houses and once you start modding, especially big mods, you can get in way further than you expected. If you feel really strongly about doing this, suggest you start with a call to the manufacturer and ask for a diagram of that wall so you know what's where. Remember that you're going to have to connect into a power supply somewhere, so ask the manufacturer for that drawing, also.

But agree, you could be over width.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

Keith_Haw
Explorer
Explorer
If your talking about putting the AC in the wall where the door is I don't think you can without being over width.

As for closing off the door, can't help you there.