cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Colorado Truck of the Year again!!

MARK_VANDERBENT
Explorer
Explorer
Colorado , Motor trends pick again!! New Camaro got it too !!
54 REPLIES 54

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Bionic Man wrote:
Bird Freak wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:
They should rename it to "New or redesigned Truck of the Year" since those are the only one they test.
There you go!!:B

Or, one could just read the qualification criteria, and know what the award is about.:R

Exactly.

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
Bionic Man wrote:
Bird Freak wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:
They should rename it to "New or redesigned Truck of the Year" since those are the only one they test.

Or, one could just read the qualification criteria, and know what the award is about.:R

Exactly, the criteria reads new or redesigned vehicles so the awards title should reflect that since that is what it is about.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
Truck of the Year and Car of the Year do matter, the title sells vehicles (I would agree it is more influential to those who are less informed). Whether you or I personally agree with the selection or the process by which they are selected, doesn't really matter. It is a process and it is pretty well conducted. A mid size truck is still considered a truck, in this case it is substantially newer than the version that won last year so it qualifies. Don't like it, start your own truck of the year competition and see who salutes.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Bird Freak wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:

2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
ShinerBock wrote:
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
ksss wrote:
I have no issue with the way they select the pickups from which compete for TOTY. You cant test every truck available in the market every year, do you want to read about the Nissan Titan this year that was the same one you read about the last ten years, that was a POS at intro and still is, it finally just now is being put to death? It is not practical and no one cares. You have to draw the line somewhere and I think this is a good place to draw it. Lastly it is their award so they make the rules, pretty simple. I don't agree with their criteria most years, their emphasis puts working trucks at a disadvantage most of the time, but again it is their circus. Consumers pay attention to it, like it or not it is the biggest award in the business. It certainly is more hype than substance but the award sells vehicles, always has. Those of you who are not happy with the C&C winning two years in a row, deal with it. Now you know how I felt when Ram recently won two years in a row, those were dark times no doubt. Watch.....the new Dmax will take it for 2017.

I have no issues in how they do their tests but rather what they name their tests. It is really not a "Truck of the year" if not all trucks in that year are able to compete for that title. This is why I think they should name it "New or redesigned Truck of the Year". Myself and many others that I know think their "Truck of the year" title is about as useless as tits on a bull since not all vehicles that are available can compete. This really makes the title a rather useless on and nothing to brag about. The only people that I see that actually give two scngits about the award are those that have their favorite brand or vehicle win. Only those people will try to justify such an award where not all the vehicle's available to the public are tested. Basically, if you want a GM or midsize truck to win then of course you are going to for this kind of testing.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
ksss wrote:
I have no issue with the way they select the pickups from which compete for TOTY. You cant test every truck available in the market every year, do you want to read about the Nissan Titan this year that was the same one you read about the last ten years, that was a POS at intro and still is, it finally just now is being put to death? It is not practical and no one cares. You have to draw the line somewhere and I think this is a good place to draw it. Lastly it is their award so they make the rules, pretty simple. I don't agree with their criteria most years, their emphasis puts working trucks at a disadvantage most of the time, but again it is their circus. Consumers pay attention to it, like it or not it is the biggest award in the business. It certainly is more hype than substance but the award sells vehicles, always has. Those of you who are not happy with the C&C winning two years in a row, deal with it. Now you know how I felt when Ram recently won two years in a row, those were dark times no doubt. Watch.....the new Dmax will take it for 2017.

X2

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Bird Freak wrote:
RobertRyan wrote:
Bird Freak wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:
Bionic Man wrote:
Have you read the criteria for the awards? Only vehicles that are new or have some sort of redesign are eligible. With that criteria, what RAM or Ford should have been in the running?

Yeah I have known that from past "Truck Of The Yea" articles, and still think it is is a win by default. It kind of makes the title useless to me because they do not test all of them, but that is just my opinion.
Award means NOTHING unless all makes are tested.

They are only testing Pickups released in that financial year, not current older models
I am aware of that but for a true truck of the year they should test EVERY model for that year,

Then it should be rephrased all Pickups that are on sale.

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
I think he wrote several not seven.

You are right, it could mean three or more by definition. When I think of several it is seven or more, but exactly how many can vary from person to person or culture to culture.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
I think he wrote several not seven.

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
RobertRyan wrote:
Lessmore wrote:
rjstractor wrote:
RobertRyan wrote:
The max payload is only 1500lbs. No will NOT carry much

That's actually more than many full size 1500 series pickups. There are several configurations that are rated at less than 1000!

I think this pickup has great specs for its intended purpose- a daily driver that gets decent mpg (very good with the diesel), and have the ability for light duty towing and hauling.

Exactly.

Frightening. Put several people in a DualCab and there goes a lot of your payload. Pass on that.

Is the need to fit seven people in a midsize global truck a common occurrence in Australia? Can you even fit seven people in those small midsize trucks?
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
RobertRyan wrote:
Bird Freak wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:
Bionic Man wrote:
Have you read the criteria for the awards? Only vehicles that are new or have some sort of redesign are eligible. With that criteria, what RAM or Ford should have been in the running?

Yeah I have known that from past "Truck Of The Yea" articles, and still think it is is a win by default. It kind of makes the title useless to me because they do not test all of them, but that is just my opinion.
Award means NOTHING unless all makes are tested.

They are only testing Pickups released in that financial year, not current older models
I am aware of that but for a true truck of the year they should test EVERY model for that year,
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds