cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cooking under awaning

mgpassport
Explorer
Explorer
Is it ok to use your camp stove under the awning....?
10 REPLIES 10

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Chuck has probably been using his longer than us and we've been using it for nearly 9 years now.
NO issues or problems.

if there was a real concern, i don't think every RV manufacturer would still be installing this setup for the past 15 years+.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Roo_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Chuck,
I saw that in the manual.. but I didn't get the rack ๐Ÿ˜ž and been looking for a replacement without success I might add..
So you feel it's safe/ok.. to have it there.. under the awning?
RooCamper...
Retired and loving every minute of it !!

Chuck_S
Explorer
Explorer
Got all the parts?

It shouldn't sit on a table, there's a rack for it to mount on the trailer itself. Little table mounts next to it.

-- Chuck
'06 Roo 23SS behind '17 Expedition out of Richmond
Our Photo pages

Roo_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
I was thinkin about this to..last weekend ( my first trip out)..I used the portable grill that is supposed to sit on the removable table on the side of the camper..stood there thinking.. this might not be the best idea they came up with..so guess next trip, will have to move out from under the awning..that is IF the propane line is long enough to do that.. hmmmm
RooCamper...
Retired and loving every minute of it !!

Ozlander
Explorer
Explorer
Chuck_S wrote:
It's fine despite "the sky is falling" warnings on some Canadian installations.

It's also OK to run your refrigerator on LP when driving. ๐Ÿ˜‰

-- Chuck

And it's OK to leave your water pump on all the time.
Ozlander

06 Yukon XL
2001 Trail-Lite 7253

Chuck_S
Explorer
Explorer
It's fine despite "the sky is falling" warnings on some Canadian installations.

It's also OK to run your refrigerator on LP when driving. ๐Ÿ˜‰

-- Chuck
'06 Roo 23SS behind '17 Expedition out of Richmond
Our Photo pages

Jim549
Explorer
Explorer
In my opinion, it depends on what you plan on cooking. If it is anything that might give off a greasy smoke, I stay away from my awning. I have seen ceilings in kitchens that have had grease build up on them from cooking and I donโ€™t want anything like that on the underside of my awning.
The Haights
Jim & Nancy
Bear (our little furry Shichon)
Home State: Michigan
HOC #3976
2017 Pioneer QB300

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
The hazard is melting/catching the awning on fire. As long as you keep the fire small and the gap big, you should be fine. But if you grill some really fatty steaks and get a big flareup, that would present a major issue.

So, use a camp stove with a little/controlled flame, no problem. Use a grill for those items likely to flare up, that's a problem.

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, we do it most every trip. I think the attached gas grills are a concern IMHO but stove is fine
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
Yes as long as there is at least 4 feet separation between the stove and awning material.