cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cool Mods - Thread restored 10/18/2012

2Rad4U
Explorer II
Explorer II
My daughter was getting a little warm in her bunk during our last camping trip, so I decided to put her a fan in to keep the air flowing.

I had been wanting to add a 12-volt fan to the main living area anyway, so I decided to tackle both jobs today. A trip to Wal-Mart for two fans($8.48 each) and we're halfway there.

She picked the spot, and I got to work -

I picked up the power from her overhead light. All I have left is to install a short piece of wire cover and I'm done -

I added one in the main area -

I dropped by Lowe's and found this cool soap dispenser. I also just installed these Pop-a-Toothbrush holders -

I added a sopa dispenser to the kitchen area as well. I also installed a Pop-a-Napkin under the radio -

Here's an easy mod. I found this over the door towel rack at Walmart and it works great -

Chris
2005 Rockwood 2516G (sold)
2005 Max-Lite 24RS (sold)
2019 Rockwood 2608BS (sold)
2020 Grand Design 337RLS
2018 Chevy 2500HD
2,727 REPLIES 2,727

g_cvaughn
Explorer
Explorer
Nice job on the fireplace! Looks so cozy and warm.
2011 R-Pod 182G Hood River Edition
2000 Ford F-150 5.4L TV
The DW, 1 mini-mutt, 1 Chug, 1 fuzzbutt Golden Retriever
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans..." -John Lennon

Slayerman
Explorer
Explorer
tmprkswyo wrote:
The fireplace looks great!

I agree x2
My Website: Alberta Campsites
My Blog: RvBlogs.net

2005 Chevrolet Avalanche
2012 Shadow Cruiser 280QBS

tmprkswyo
Explorer
Explorer
The fireplace looks great!

thrasher053
Explorer
Explorer
After spending too much time looking at all these mods I thought I would add a few of my own.
There is a lot of discussion on closets next to the bed. I got two of these from Bed, Bath and Beyond.

They are a tight fit in the closets and give us 2 small drawers and 2 small shelves, and we can still hang things.

My simple and quick battery disconnect-battery connected

Battery disconnected

I modified a spark plug socket so I could run the stabilizers up and down with a cordless drill.

And I modified the cabinet below the television:

by changing it to a fireplace.

The best thing is it heats the trailer using park electricity instead of my propane. It looks good, too.
Bruce and Jennie
2012 Shadow Cruiser S260-BHS
2014 Silverado Crew Cab 1500 5.3L

Fisherguy
Explorer
Explorer
BillB800si wrote:
Fisherguy
Yeah, and an idea of cost? It's a fairly cheap option if you order a new trailer but I bet it would be almost twice that to change them after....................
---------------------

Not to fairly cheap. It ran me $1250 adder back in 2007. Don't know what it is now...
but they do make a big difference...

1250 isn't too bad compared to the 1500 he paid above for only 4 windows. How many do you have in your trailer? We have 9 in ours, so like $3000 as retrofits I'm guessing?
06 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins 6 spd std with a few goodies.

2007 Komfort 274TS, 480 watts solar, Trimetric 2025RV, PD9280, Honda EU2000i, Xantrex SW600

2019 Timber Ridge 24RLS, 600 watts solar, 3-100Ah Lithiums, 12volt Norcold Fridge

nadkaw1957
Explorer
Explorer
ADK Camper wrote:
Here's a simple mod I designed to keep the gridle, cutting boards, and other assorted stuff organized in our camper's cupboard. We stored these things on edge against the cupboard wall, but they were always falling down and shifting around. This mod keeps them secured against the wall.

That's a great idea - I have the same problem with things I keep under the sink cabinet. Thanks!
2018 Grand Design Imagine 2250RK
2018 Toyota Tundra 5.7L

ADK_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a simple mod I designed to keep the gridle, cutting boards, and other assorted stuff organized in our camper's cupboard. We stored these things on edge against the cupboard wall, but they were always falling down and shifting around. This mod keeps them secured against the wall.

Note that the botttom of the bracket is cut at a 10 degree angle to tilt the bracket towards the wall. At the bottom I installed two small spring hinges so the bracket can be pulled away from the wall for easy access.

This photo showes the bracket pulled back.

toprudder
Explorer
Explorer
I had a couple windows leak in a motorhome I used to own. It is not difficult to pull them out and mount a new one.

This is an upgrade I might consider on my present camper. The only window I might have a problem with is one that is a fire escape. I will have to see if they have one that will work for that.

Thanks for the info.
Bob, Martha, and Matt.
Tucker, the Toy Poodle
'09 K-Z MXT20, '07 Chevy 2500HD Duramax

Toprudder.com

BillB800si
Explorer
Explorer
Fisherguy
Yeah, and an idea of cost? It's a fairly cheap option if you order a new trailer but I bet it would be almost twice that to change them after....................
---------------------

Not to fairly cheap. It ran me $1250 adder back in 2007. Don't know what it is now...
but they do make a big difference...
Bill B. (S.E. Michigan)
2015 Dodge Ram Crew Cab 4x4 Hemi
2016 Rockwood Windjammer 3029W

SteveAE
Explorer
Explorer
You bet.

I ordered my windows from Motion Windows in Vancouver, WA. http://www.motionwindows.com/
I only have four windows (not counting the door) and they aren't very big.
Here are the sizes and prices (width x height):
- 56" x 21.75" $446.00
- 30" x 20" $358.00
- 23.75 x 21.75" $346.00
- 30" x 21.75" $366.00
I chose to have them installed because????? Well heck, I just felt more comfortable about it...and the wife said to. This costs an additional $100.00 per window (not included in the prices above).

The glass is "Solar Cool Bronze" (a light bronze tint that will look nice with my trailer) for no extra charge and I "splurged" $80.00 (total for all windows) for the powder coated frame option (included in the prices above).

I toured their facility a couple weeks ago and was impressed. While the frames are not thermally broke and there is no inert gas between the panes, "I believe" they are good quality windows for the RV market (I have an engineering background). And since I live only 150 miles away, and my parents live near the factory, it's not too hard to find a reason to go up there. No idea what shipping would cost but they said it was rare for them to actually meet their customers as most of their widows are shipped out.

We use our trailer year round (actually prefer winter) so for us, it "sort of" makes sense. I first tried building double pane window with Lexan over my existing windows and desiccant between the glazing. While it help immensely, we still got some condensation between the panes (much less than before though) which was difficult to clean out and of course, the windows were not operational.

One thing to look at before you go this route though is to remove the inner trim ring of your existing window (you will need to do this anyway to measure your windows prior to ordering) and look for a gap between the window frame and the rough opening in the trailer wall. We had about an inch all around. It’s easy to plug up this gap with some insulation which should help....some.

Hope this helps answer your questions.

I will report on the windows after I have used them. Unfortunately, winter will be gone by then (I get the windows on March 21st) so the coldest that I am likely to be able to test them out at will be in the 20 to 30 degree (F) range....until next winter of course (-:

Safe Travels,
Steve

Fisherguy
Explorer
Explorer
DURAFITZ wrote:
toprudder wrote:
SteveAE wrote:
Next big mod will to replace all windows (except entry door window) with double pane windows for increased comfort, reduced condensation and reduced noise. More later ater I get those windows installed in March.

Do you have a good source for those windows? I might be interested in that myself.

Same here.

Yeah, and an idea of cost? It's a fairly cheap option if you order a new trailer but I bet it would be almost twice that to change them after..?
06 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins 6 spd std with a few goodies.

2007 Komfort 274TS, 480 watts solar, Trimetric 2025RV, PD9280, Honda EU2000i, Xantrex SW600

2019 Timber Ridge 24RLS, 600 watts solar, 3-100Ah Lithiums, 12volt Norcold Fridge

DURAFITZ
Explorer
Explorer
toprudder wrote:
SteveAE wrote:
Next big mod will to replace all windows (except entry door window) with double pane windows for increased comfort, reduced condensation and reduced noise. More later ater I get those windows installed in March.

Do you have a good source for those windows? I might be interested in that myself.

Same here.
2006 Chevy 2500HD LBZ Duramax/Allison CCSB LT3 4X4
2008 Starcaft Aruba 308DBS
Prodigy Brake Controller
Equal-i-zer WD hitch

toprudder
Explorer
Explorer
SteveAE wrote:

Bob, Martha, and Matt.
Tucker, the Toy Poodle
'09 K-Z MXT20, '07 Chevy 2500HD Duramax

Toprudder.com

SteveAE
Explorer
Explorer
I had thought I was doing good with all the mods I have already done to my trailer until I found this forum. 178 pages and four days later and I now have a list of 19 more to do. Thank you to all for the great suggestions.

Steve

TreeSeeker
Explorer
Explorer
Deleted