cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Counter top issue

lovemytt
Explorer
Explorer
We went camping this week and I fixed a few things on the road and ordered a part of a missing vent. Somehow I didn't get water mopped up behind the sink and there was a break in the caulking. I know have a swollen countertop. Is there any way to fix it without replacing?
2006 Dodge Ram Mega Cab Hemi Engine
2012 R-Vision Crossover 200
9 REPLIES 9

lovemytt
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you I will check. Yes it is a small area.

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
Any chance it's narrow enough to find a vinyl cove trim to put along that area? Sorry for the damage. You might check with the manufacturer to see if they still have that design countertop and get by just replacing that area if it's in just a small section.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

lovemytt
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone. I will recaulk and glue the trim so I don't cause any more damage. I will then see if I can live with it.

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
If you replace it, use plywood instead of particle board. It's lighter and will last longer.
Good luck.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
Unless it is confined to a small area and isn't too noticeable you will have to replace it. Fortunately, if you are semi-handy, you can do it yourself. Particle board is cheap and easy to work with, and so is Formica.

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
I had a similar thing happen to my countertop in a small area by the sink. I clamped it as tight as I could all winter long and then in the spring I removed the clamp and sealed the particle board with varnish.

It is still slightly swollen, but unless you know it is there you don't notice it at all. Never did replace the countertop.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

lovemytt
Explorer
Explorer
I was afraid of that. Thanks.

lovemytt
Explorer
Explorer
I was afraid of that. Thanks.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Probably not. You could peel the caulking off and try to insert some glue, weighting the top until the glue sets. Unfortunately, most RV countertops are built with particle board core and once swollen, are impossible to shrink.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton