cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Water Pump "Bumping"

sgrizzle
Explorer
Explorer
Gotta question about our Shurflo water pump...it is really loud. I needed to replace my 3-way shut-off valve that I use to winterize the camper this week...As I'm doing this, I think it is a good time to address the loud pump.

What I noticed is that there is a lot of vibration and "bumping". I was able to reposition the pump a little to decrease some of the vibration, but there still is quite a bit of noise. It seems that where the "city water" connection hose connects to the water pump outlet hose, it seems to try to take water/air from the city water hose.

My question is this...if I install a "shut-off" valve on the short hose between the city water inlet and the water pump Tee...when I am not using city water, I "turn it off" that line, that should stop the "bumping" shouldn't it?
8 REPLIES 8

sgrizzle
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys! Sounds like great ideas! Happy camping!

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
An accumulator would help. And even though the pumps are on rubber legs, I further insulated mine with heavy rubber hose sections between the legs and the floor. Adding flexible hoses from the hardware store also helps isolate the noise.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
sgrizzle wrote:
Yes, this was part of the problem and when I loosened the pump and repositioned it...I was able to decrease the vibrations...it is better, but I still have "bumping" noises and it seems it is due to air from the city water line...

Have you considered using an accumulator tank, also by Shurflo? I have both a Shurflo pump and tank with no other noise-mitigating components (flexible lines between pump and PEX, cushioning under pump, etc.) and I don't have the noises you describe. There is some noise but not enough to make me pursue this further. Had the tank in my previous RV also and that too was acceptable afterwards.
Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
If it's just a matter of the lines thumping against a hard surface, add some pipe insulation where ever this happens and it will quiet it down nicely.

sgrizzle
Explorer
Explorer
Huntindog wrote:
Lots of times the excess noise is due to the installation. The factory usually connects the pump directly to the pex water lines. These are a hard plastic, that will transmit any pump movement down the water line. It can be really bad if the pex is close to a cupboard etc. as it can actually vibrate against it.
The solution is to isolate the pump from the pex by installing flexible lines in a loop from the pump to the pex.
There is actually a water pump silencing kit available that has everything needed.
Or you can go to Home Depot and get the lines and fittings needed to save a few bucks.

Yes, this was part of the problem and when I loosened the pump and repositioned it...I was able to decrease the vibrations...it is better, but I still have "bumping" noises and it seems it is due to air from the city water line...

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
water pump noise
More water pump noise
pump again 2011
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of times the excess noise is due to the installation. The factory usually connects the pump directly to the pex water lines. These are a hard plastic, that will transmit any pump movement down the water line. It can be really bad if the pex is close to a cupboard etc. as it can actually vibrate against it.
The solution is to isolate the pump from the pex by installing flexible lines in a loop from the pump to the pex.
There is actually a water pump silencing kit available that has everything needed.
Or you can go to Home Depot and get the lines and fittings needed to save a few bucks.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would think so unless you have another leak somewhere in the lines.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine