cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cover for electric tongue jack?

Tennessee_Nomad
Explorer
Explorer
I've seen a couple of mods that cover folks electric tongue jack With a plastic trash can or 5 gallon bucket. Should I be doing this? Mine has a plastic cover on the top of the jack like this here. I just bought it this winter and was wondering if this was something I should do.

Thanks...
-DH
2010 Keystone Montana 3455SA Quad Slide
4 Goodyear G614's
2017 RAM 3500 DRW 4x4 Crew Cab
6.7L Cummins® Turbo Diesel
B & W Companion Hitch
All Made In USA

*I chose the road less traveled... Now I don't know where the hell I am*
34 REPLIES 34

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you want one or think you need one, they do make them like this UF one: http://www.ultra-fab.com/new_detail.cfm?mfgnum=38-944020

pwcdfrcamper
Explorer
Explorer
The first jack I had when it rained water would get in and short out the jack. I called the company and they sent me another one, and so far no problem. I cover because I am OSD and rather be safe then sorry.
2013 Sunset Trail ST32BH
2011 Toyota Tundra Crew Cab

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
The jacks I've seen (including the one in the link above) are marginally water tight but the switches generally aren't. A cover will keep the switches dry and working longer.
A cover isn't mandatory but it keeps it working right and keeps the UV from attacking it so it looks new longer.

If folks have a"Barker" brand jack then they can get a fitted cover that has a lifetime warranty.

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
No problem with my uncovered Atwood for the 7 years I had it.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

rrupert
Explorer
Explorer
I have had two trailers with that same jack and sitting out in the weather has not been a problem. They are designed to be weatherproof. Perhaps if it would get damaged in some way you may want to cover it until you find a replacement cover.
Rich and Joyce
2018 Jayco Jay Flight 21QB
2012 Ford F150 4X4 Supercrew EcoBoost
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch

Amateur Radio K3EXU