cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cranking up the top

fmattox73
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 12/24 pop up that works very well, but I am unclear about this.
When you crank it up and install the corner braces, do you then lower it to the top of the braces (or door. whichever comes first) or do
you leave it in the extended position. I leave it extended and have
had NO problems with leaking etc.

Any Advice?
6 REPLIES 6

fmattox73
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks All.
The general consensus is that you leave it up at the level that the cord (cable) in the front corner is the determining factor and that is what I have been using with the corner braces installed. Unfortunately, the info on lowering it to the top of the door is a little late as I have already put a slight warp in the door. I used weights and blocks on a flat floor to take the curve out of it back to the point where it is serviceable/useable.

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
Leave it up, use the braces one in front and one in opposite corner of the back, pay attention to the cable that should be over your left shoulder (mine is green, some are red)and when it is taut, not tight that is far enough, if you raise it to far and break the cable you could over raise and have problems with the lift mechanism.
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
I would leave it up so the cable stayed tight.

bondebond
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have any documentation to fall back on, so this is just my thoughts.
I would leave it up fully. I do know some that lower theirs back down onto the bars. Either way, I don't think it should hurt anything. Personal preference of mine would be to have it all of the way up and have less possible wrinkles in the tenting that might lead to unintentional leaks. Highly unlikely, but taut is better than loose in this case. If it is resting on the door, that might cause it to warp some over time. And one are we don't need help with is warped doors and frames.
This space left intentionally.

2006 Fleetwood Sequoia and mods...one of the tallest highwall pop-ups on the planet after flipping the axle.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have two of these safety braces that slips in adjacent corners after you raise the roof up. I usually drop it back and let the safety brace take all of the weight.

My door works just fine with no drag if it is level end to end...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
fmattox73 wrote:
I have a 12/24 pop up that works very well, but I am unclear about this.
When you crank it up and install the corner braces, do you then lower it to the top of the braces (or door. whichever comes first) or do
you leave it in the extended position. I leave it extended and have
had NO problems with leaking etc.

Any Advice?

We popuped for 20 years. I always raised it to the max and left it there. Don't want it sitting on the door.
The last 2 pups we had. Had a cord that was attached to the box, and the other end attached to the roof. When it was tight. the roof was where it was supposed to be.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers