cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

De winterize in Massachusetts or wait for warmer weather in the south

richd44
Explorer II
Explorer II

I have a Lance 845 truck camper and plan to go to Florida leaving on March 2nd.  My question is when to de winterize.  If weather permits I could do it before we leave,in Mass. and hope it does not get too cold before we get to the warmer south.  We could also do nothing and wait till we get to Virginia and do it there in a full hook up campground.  My final thought is to do it before we leave and just drain all the water from the camper, travel dry and just add water when it is warm enough in the south.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.  This is our first time doing any driving with the camper in the winter.

thanks

6 REPLIES 6

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III

What exactly is your de-winterization process? 

I just close the fresh water tank drain, fill with water and run each tap until it comes out clear...usually just 2-3 gallons. I see no need to do anything ahead of time, just wait till the first night (when presumably, it will be warmer and you will be running the heat anyway)...then fill and go on with life.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Cybergrunt
Nomad
Nomad

I'm in Iowa and anytime we do a spring break trip (DW is still teaching 6th grade), it is always early March. We just pack, go, and I dewinterize at our first stop. Now my winterization is 15 psi blowing, draining everything and some antifreeze only in P-traps, so getting things all back in service is pretty quick and really there is no flushing of lines needed. Other than closing faucets, capping low point drains, throwing bypass valve and installing the water heater plug, its normal setup at the first overnight. Coming home, I don't gamble, so I winterize it at our last overnight (blow, drain, antifreeze in P-traps).

2021 Forest River Wildwood Heritage Glen 24RLHL: 810-825# TW, ~7500# GVW
2020 F-250 XLT Super Duty SRW: 7.3 V8 gasser, 3.55, 10spd

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III

What would you possibly need to do, unless you filled the potable system with antifreeze?  Guess you’ll need to be more specific what your concerns are to get more accurate advice. 

PS, this is the travel trailer group. (Not that it matters)

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Or not….

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II

If there is antifreeze in the pipes I would drain it now and just don't add any water. If you have access to compressed air you can buy an adapter for a couple bucks and blow out the majority of the antifreeze. Just remember low pressure is the name of the game if using compressed air. You don't want to rupture a line by going too high.
Then when you get to the south you can add water and flush out the lines and start camping.

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Thanks that's what I was thinking.