cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dead batteries in 04 Duramax 3500

trailgranny50
Explorer
Explorer
Question for all the savvy after market wireless back up camera users. Installed Garmin GPS unit that has bluetooth and also back up camera that came packaged with it. Wired it to constant hot to be able to check on trailers when pulling and set it up with a plug-in at the bumper to be able to disconnect easily when removing camper. My question is, does the camera and transmitter draw power, I know there is power TO that stuff, but does it DRAW any from the battery is not being used and cab GPS unit unplugged? IF the old Duramax sits for a week the batteries go dead. Bells and whistles work just won't start. Am checking the interior light door switches and the glow plug switch as well. The camper is totally disconnected from the truck when parked as I Haven't gotten a switch installed to turn of gas leak detector. We've had this 04 model truck since December 2003 and this problem just started in May of this year. Only did it once at that until today. Hadn't been driven in two weeks since getting the bumper fixed from deer collision and getting the blue tank bracket mounted. May be needing to get new batteries, they're 2012s?, wet cell replacements on list and dual battery trickle charger as well for future. OK guys, it's open season now, go for it!
2004 Chevy 3500 Duramax all stock
1990 950 Shadow Cruiser Hard side multiple add-ons
Ancient Valco 10'x5' John boat
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser Trail Team
One-eyed Trail Horse and one horse trailer
Rocky, Annie, Muffie traveling Fur Babies
11 REPLIES 11

trailgranny50
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the input. Am pretty certain it was, in the first case, a sticking indoor light switch. The second time I failed to unplug the new camera transmitter at the back bumper. The inside is always unplugged whenever we park it for more that a day. Batteries are new and matching. They always tested good just low. Tested them indivually rather than as a pair so they don't appear to be the issue. In a 04 truck put into service December of 03 there could be additional issues with wiring we aren't aware of. ...yet. So far so good for now. DH has instructed me to fire it up and leave it run 30 min a day every 3-4 days. His thoughts are "If it ain't broke don't fix or and if it moves an inch it ain't broke". That thought process has cost us a lot more than fixing things at first sign but he's old and set in his ways. Big sigh! After 47 years of this you'd think I'd be adjusted to it, but I'm stubborn too.

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
Have the batteries checked for a dead cell . After 2 weeks a bad battery will drain the good one enough to not let the starter spin fast enough to start . A Duramax has to spin at a minimum speed to start or the computer won't allow it to start . Also the batteries may not be charged enough . Shops are notorious for leaving doors and hoods open while working on them with all the interior lights on . Good luck
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

Ozlander
Explorer
Explorer
Unplug the new stuff and see if the problem goes away.
Also, maybe one of the batteries is getting old.
Ozlander

06 Yukon XL
2001 Trail-Lite 7253

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Use a multi-meter to test the amp draw off your battery. Disconnection the battery cable and use the multi-meter as an "in-line" tester. Isolate the draw by pulling fuses to locate what individual circuit the draw is coming from.

In my case , the engine hood light was remaining lit when the hood was closed.

how to find a parasitic battery drain

ijon
Explorer
Explorer
I just installed a rear camera on my trailer. Its powered when the headlights are on. I decided on a camera after a incident two years ago when I switched lanes and this guy going like a bat out of what ever was on the shoulder beside me honking his horn. Mind you both my wife and I checked the mirrors before we changed lanes.

trailgranny50
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for input. Solar not an option as our unit is shedded when not in use. All things that plug in are never, ever, left plugged in when we're not driving, except my "duh" moment leaving the new back up camera plugged in. GPS is a Garmin windshield mount that is only plugged in accessory outlet when driving. New back up camera is only connected to power from truck when driving, otherwise it's unplugged. We unplug the camper from the truck completely and just use shore power of we want to do anything in it at home. That's why I'm looking, now, at glow plug switch and door switches that control interior cab lights as they have been known to stick on. Was told to pop hood and check fuses one by one to see what is always hot even when functionally turned off to see what is actually drawing power sitting. Checking for maybe intermittent battery cable or other short somewhere as well. What a pain but what else would I do for entertainment waiting for it to be travel time..... but that's another thread entirely!

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sounds like you might want to install one of those solar panel trays that you lay inside the windshield on the truck dash. This plugs into a always hot 12VDC socket and should keep your battery topped off when you leave it sit for weeks on end... Most that ypu find on-line are 5WATT Panels or less. You really need to locate at least a 10-watt model or more to really help out...

Something like this GOOGLE SEARCH photo...

I had one for my OFF-ROAD JEEP setup and it did me well for years... I need to do the same thing for my 2010 F150 FX4 truck. They have too much electronics always on in the new trucks. There is probably three or four computers running all the time...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
As a possibility & since the GPS is Bluetooth there may be a power draw with that feature. Can you turn on/off the Bluetooth feature on the GPS ?

Just a thought.
I'm an expert in only one field....I believe it's somewhere in Kansas.

2000 / 22' SKYLINE NOMAD LITE
1998 DODGE DAKOTA / 5.2L= 8mpg.
2006 POLARIS ATV
1500/1200 Watt Champion generator
Yada Wireless Back Up Camera
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74

trailgranny50
Explorer
Explorer
Would not the plug in at the bumper do the same thing? Unplugged no draw, plugged in draw? When the truck is sitting at camp or in the shed the camper itself unplugged and the camera not plugged in-no wiring connection to truck batteries. I'm just trying to find out if, since this happened a second time, after the install and once before, if leaving that receiver and camera drew enough to run down the batteries or if it could be something else.

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
kaydeejay wrote:
I'd switch the camera supply to "ignition hot" rather than "always hot".

Ditto.

In the fuse panel on the side of the dash (driver's side) you can tap in to an ignition hot fuse. Trial and error with a test light will reveal a fuse that is only powered when ignition on.

I am thinking that will solve the problem.
Bob

kaydeejay
Explorer
Explorer
I'd switch the camera supply to "ignition hot" rather than "always hot". This way it will work whenever the truck is running, but no current draw when the truck is off.
It will be drawing a small current all the time it is connected. Not an issue when driving but may be enough to take down your batteries in a couple of weeks when parked.
Keith J.
Sold the fiver and looking for a DP, but not in any hurry right now.