cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dealing with bow wave

stationaryfullt
Explorer
Explorer
I'm having issues with the bow wave from passing trucks. I have a Jayco 328RLS towed by a 1991 Chevy Suburban. I'm using a Reese Strait-Line WDH with 1500 pound bars. The front axle is about 100 pounds lighter than the unhitched weight, though I intend to fix that by adjusting the hitch a little.

I typically drive around 55mph on the interstate, and when the 18-wheelers fly by at 70, I get blown to the side a little. It's bad enough for me to be on-edge when towing, but I also don't have thousands of miles towing my camper under my belt yet.

I believe my bow wave issues may be partially due to the steering on my Suburban. The older 80s bodystyle Chevy trucks (for which my 91 shares bodystyles with) have very easy steering. The steering on these old trucks is so easy, that you can easily dry-steer from lock to lock with your pinky finger. Coincidentally, it's VERY easy to steer when the truck is moving. The entire steering/suspension assembly including steering box, tie rods, adjusters, ball joints, etc has been recently replaced and aligned, so they're all in good condition. I think the ease of steering is allowing me to be more easily blown around on the highway. Is this possible, and if so, would adding a steering stabilizer (shock for steering) improve the bow wave issues? How else other than watching the rear view mirror like a hawk and bracing for it can I help reduce the bow wave from passing trucks?

Thanks in advance. I'd really love to be more at ease when towing my home.
49 REPLIES 49

stationaryfullt
Explorer
Explorer
When I get pushed, it feels like it get pushed as one. I think the Strait-Line is really doing its job well.

I hate the 1500-2500 question, since I seem to always get yelled at for this. Technically, as the truck shipped from the factory 20 years ago, it was a 1500. Now, everything except the frame is now 2500 or 3500 parts. I try to not claim it's as strong and as good as a 3500, but it's definitely not a puny 1500 either...

The hitch is a Reese Strait-Line hitch with 1500 pound bars. The Strait-Line part includes built-in sway control. I need to pull a link or two to get the 100 pounds I'm short back on the front axle, but I'm already at the minimum links showing, so I need to tilt the head some.

As for pictures, they'll have to wait. I have a couple at home that I can possibly post.

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
I think what you are referring to is commonly called sway. All bumper pull trailers will do some of that, but it should be very mild. The first thing that hit my mind was either you don't have enough tongue weight, or most likely you don't have enough truck for that trailer. You might take a look at the load rating on your TV tires. If they are P rated try a stiffer tire. How much air do you put in the tires? If you are not at max pressure as stated on the sidewall, try that first. It's definitely the cheapest and easiest. I know you don't want to hear it, but mostly it sounds like you don't have enough truck. Just my opinion, that and $1.50 can get you a cup of coffee.

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
What is your tongue weight percentage?

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
32 foot trailer.
You have a good hitch...as you stated, get more weight to the front of your tow vehicle so that you don't have under-steer.

Your 91 Burb: How are the shocks - need repacing? How about the tires - P rated or LT's? LT's will give you more stability

Some slight bow wave is not out of the ordinary.
See a "big boy" coming and move slightly to the right before he passes might help
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Let me ask you a question.

Does the bow wave push your Suburban and your trailer as one or does the trailer and the truck feel like separate units?

Also, is your rig a 1500 or a 2500?

Tell us about your Weight Distribution Hitch.

And a picture of the sweet vintage Suburban is required ๐Ÿ˜‰

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~