Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

decided on floorplan, now which manufacturer, need advice

bigbullelk
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all.

We’ve outgrown our first TT (bought used, a 2007 Forest River Surveyor 255RS (fiberglass) we’ve had for 4 years) and are looking to upgrade. We’ve decided to buy new, not used. We’ve settled on a floor plan style that we like:

- Bunkhouse
- Center island in the kitchen
- Entertainment center on an angle (not perpendicular to couch)
- Outdoor kitchen
- King or queen with space between end of bed and wall (I’m 6’3” and need the room for my feet to hang off) and space between side of bed and wall of trailer (no closet from bed to roof – need space for my arm to hang off)

We have narrowed it down to 3 manufacturers with similar floor plan options. We’ve had no experience with these manufacturers. Would appreciate any insight or advance on the good, bad or ugly of these manufacturers and/or these specific models/floor plans. Would love to hear from the owners out there. I don’t want to start a fiberglass vs. tin/aluminum argument here but I’m open to either (I’ve read a lot on pros and cons of each).

- Keystone Cougar 34TSB (fiberglass w/ painted front cap, aluminum framing)
- Jayco Jayflight 33RBTS (stick and tin)
- Prime Time Lacrosse 329BHT (fiberglass front cap w/ black diamond plate at bottom, aluminum framing)
- Prime Time Tracer 3200BHT (fiberglass front cap w/ black diamond plate at bottom, aluminum framing)

And, of course, there is no one dealer we can go to to see all of them in person at the same time. They are spread out across several states, so am looking to try and further narrow the options before we spend the time and money to go see them in person.

Thanks in advance.
23 REPLIES 23

bigbullelk
Explorer
Explorer
MBarmer wrote:
The reason i went with Jayco was purely past experience with their trailers. I'm sure everyone makes a quality unit though. For me, the Jayco was the one that first spurred my interest in upgrading trailers and after looking at many similar floor plans, i was able to get the best deal on the Jayco.

Just curious. What is your tow vehicle? These are beastly trailers and will need at least a 3/4 ton to tow IMO.

It's a 3/4 ton. 06 2500hd duramax. By my calcs I think I will have about 800-1000 pounds of payload capacity to spare.

MBarmer
Explorer
Explorer
The reason i went with Jayco was purely past experience with their trailers. I'm sure everyone makes a quality unit though. For me, the Jayco was the one that first spurred my interest in upgrading trailers and after looking at many similar floor plans, i was able to get the best deal on the Jayco.

Just curious. What is your tow vehicle? These are beastly trailers and will need at least a 3/4 ton to tow IMO.

MBarmer
Explorer
Explorer
Bigbull,

Sorry, i mis-spoke. I actually looked at the Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDSLE. I didnt like the TV position in that one at all. It was 90 degrees to the sofa.

bigbullelk
Explorer
Explorer
MBarmer wrote:
I was actually in the exact same position as you a month ago. I ended up purchasing the Jayco Jayflight 33RBTS after comparing it to the Keystone and Grand Design. I absolutely love it. I couldnt see the point in paying so much more for the other two.

I've owned 2 Jayco's and have never had any issues out of either.

Thx for the input. Were you looking at the same Keystone model as I'm considering? Did it come down to price or were there other pros to the Jayco (or cons to the Keystone) that swayed your opinion in favor of the Jayco?

bigbullelk
Explorer
Explorer
evanrem wrote:
Gran Desgin

I'm looking for the same setup. This is top of the list for me only drawback is no u dinette

Wow that is a beauty! Out of my price range and at limit of my TV though.

bigbullelk
Explorer
Explorer
fx2tom wrote:
From what I can see the Jayco stick n tin is at best $32k. For that price and with more options you can pick up a Surveyor. Look at the 321BHTS, it is basically the same layout but a better value.

Thank you. The queen bed in that Surveyor won't work for me as the end of the bed is basically flush against the wall - no room for my feet to hang off unfortunately. RVs and tall people don't jive all the time gosh dern it!

fx2tom
Explorer
Explorer
From what I can see the Jayco stick n tin is at best $32k. For that price and with more options you can pick up a Surveyor. Look at the 321BHTS, it is basically the same layout but a better value.
2002 Ford F250 Lariat 7.3l 4x4 CCSB
2007 Forest River Sierra Sport M-26FBSP

MBarmer
Explorer
Explorer
I was actually in the exact same position as you a month ago. I ended up purchasing the Jayco Jayflight 33RBTS after comparing it to the Keystone and Grand Design. I absolutely love it. I couldnt see the point in paying so much more for the other two.

I've owned 2 Jayco's and have never had any issues out of either.

evanrem
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gran Desgin

I'm looking for the same setup. This is top of the list for me only drawback is no u dinette