cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dicor self leveling lap sealant caused roof to ripple

Lacey999
Explorer
Explorer
I used Dicor SLLS on, what I believe is a TPO roof (white on both sides). Within a day of applying this, the roofing material rippled and lifted, even where it was applied on top of previous SLLS. I did this at the front end cap but still have the rear of the trailer that needs SLLS applied and want to avoid this happening.
What, if any, SLLS can I use that won't cause this? I panicked and removed the sealant thinking it was destroying the roof. I've since been told it will smooth out in time as it cures but that could take weeks given it being October in the Pac NW. I'm selling the trailer and this is not a good look.
8 REPLIES 8

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Unobtanium wrote:
It sounds like the OP used self leveling Dicor on an Alpha Systems Superflex PVC membrane roof, which requires a specific sealant made by Alpha systems.

DITTO, I've had the same thing happen.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
Dicor on the info sheets will tell you that Dicor sealant on a EDPM roof WILL cause some " buckling" etc as the sealant cures and usually will go away. Part of the reason is the sealant has hydrocarbon solvents (naptha etc) that Dicor says will cause this to happen. That is why the say to never use such solvents to clean the membrane. I suspect the solvent in the dicor is controlled and designed to not cause damage but to aid in adhesion.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Planeteer
Explorer
Explorer
I also had this happen on our last MH. Sealed up good, and smoothed out over time.
2021 Gulf Stream 197BH

Unobtanium
Explorer
Explorer
It sounds like the OP used self leveling Dicor on an Alpha Systems Superflex PVC membrane roof, which requires a specific sealant made by Alpha systems.

gwalter
Explorer III
Explorer III
I had the same thing happen. There are 2 types of TPO roof and the newer one with a smooth surface on the underside will ripple with Dicor 500 series. You need to use the Ultra Dicor and solvent to clean with before applying. I used this and no problems. There is a You tube video on how to tell the difference in type of roof you have.
2010 Ram 3500 Laramie
2021 Bighorn 3120 RK
B & W Companion Hitch
Air Bags

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
I have had this happen. It will lay back down over time.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Iโ€™ve never heard of your issue. Was the temperature above Dicorโ€™s minimum for application?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
Since 2003 I have applied a fresh coat of Dicor liquid roof almost every year to my TT without any issues what so ever and no ripples. My roof is regular roof material and non TPO. Perhaps there is a special product for TPO?????