cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did some damage to the TT

Scott_P
Explorer
Explorer
We had our first camping weekend in our recently acquired 2005 Dutchmen 18b and I was trying to put it back into the storage unit before the heavy rain started. While backing in, I caught the rear corner trim on a beam and it pulled away when I pulled up to straighten the camper out. It's only the third time I put the camp;er into the storage unit and the previous two attempts were successful. I guess I was rushed and not as careful as I should have been.

So, now I have something that needs to be fixed before our next adventure. It looks like The only thing that was damaged was the corner bead. I did not damage any of the metal that makes up the sides or rear of the camper.

What am I looking at for a possible repair cost? I am pretty handy, but I will probably take it down the street to a local RV shop to have it fixed. I'm trying to get an idea so I won't be caught off guard by the price quote.

12 REPLIES 12

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
That corner piece is a generic piece. nay RV dealer will be able to order it.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Scott_P
Explorer
Explorer
I guess I feel a little bit better about things. I just hate doing damage to something that we just used once. It's not exactly a new camper to begin with and I was hoping the repairs wouldn't more than the thing is worth. I have some more maintenance and minor fixes/upgrades to do to it now that we used it once.

I'm more embarrassed than anything. I am not looking forward to the grief I am sure to receive from the neighbors if I attempt this repair. They have done worse in the past, so I know it is all in good fun.

Where is a good spot to get Dutchmen RV parts? Do I go to a local dealer? Is there someplace online that would work?

CampingN_C_
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, you may have actually just done yourself a favor by exposing that wood rot. Guessing you barely hit it? Probably didn't take much to pull that trim apart.
Don't panic, if you're handy with basic tools you can repair it fairly easily. I rebuilt the entire back wall of our old camper in a a weekend with a buddy.
2018 Ram 3500 DRW CCLB Aisin 4.10 4x4

2018 Jayco Talon 413T
B&W Companion

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
cbshoestring wrote:
Sorry for your BOO - BOO.

Am I seeing this correctly...the metal channel is screwed to the trailer, then the rubber gasket seals it up????

Yes, I am trying to learn from your mis-fortune.

The front, bottom of my trailer is seperating a bit, and I am planning on removing the trim, then re-chaulking where the siding goes under the trim. Mine looks as if the siding is too short in that area....I was kinda hoping the corner trim could be "tightened" up. Looks like it may do just that....judging by what our autopsy revealed.

Can anyone tell me how hard it is to slide the rubber seal out of it's channel? Sure wouldn't want to tear it.

The vinyl strip can be easily just pulled up and out of the track.

But I would recommend for ease of installation and to prevent you from tearing all your hair out just by a new roll of vinyl insert.. You can typically find that at any RV dealer.

New vinyl insert will be much more flexible which will make installing considerably easier.

Don't forget to get some new butyl caulking rope from the RV dealer and replace all the old stuff that was under the strip.

The metal strip can be bent back into shape once you have it off but it may not look like new anymore. If needed your RV dealer should have or be able to get new corner molding.

And from my observation of your pix I would also agree you have some damp rotted wood under that corner.. Good chance you might have to replace some of the corner wood..

At the min, you will need to fix all the holes where the screws go since you will have stripped the wood in the holes. Toothpicks and glue inserted into the screw holes is often a decent fix for stripped out wood holes.

I would also recommend you pull the remaining three corners and replace the caulking.. This is an often overlooked maintenance item along with the trim strips along the roof line (they may also be in need of new caulking and removal of the trim strips is the best way to do that.

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
Messed up, but easy fix. Might look like junk though.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
amandasgramma wrote:
cbshoestring wrote:

Am I seeing this correctly...the metal channel is screwed to the trailer, then the rubber gasket seals it up????

The front, bottom of my trailer is seperating a bit, and I am planning on removing the trim, then re-chaulking where the siding goes under the trim. Mine looks as if the siding is too short in that area....I was kinda hoping the corner trim could be "tightened" up. Looks like it may do just that....judging by what our autopsy revealed.

Can anyone tell me how hard it is to slide the rubber seal out of it's channel? Sure wouldn't want to tear it.
My DH didn't have problems.. sprayed a silicon lubricant on the channel and it slid right in.

Very easy repair. Just pull out the vinyl insert that is placed in that channel for looks. You will then find the screws that hold the metal channel in place and make the corner water tight. Using butyl caulk tape, screw in the new metal channel and insert a new vinyl insert. Use lots of caulk and sealer ti ensure no water intrusion.

The picture looks like you do have some water damage and here's hoping the wood is solid enough to hold new screws.

Now is a good time to get on the roof and ensure that everything is caulked water tight.

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
daystrom wrote:
Also, hard to tell from the photos but it looks like the wood may have some wetness in the one part. The screw looks a bit rusty as well. Might take a look at that while the molding is off.

I agree, unfortunately it looks like that corner has some wood rot and if so you will have a hard time getting it water tight and the leak might be up a lot higher which is common in a lot of units because of the was the corners are constructed.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Welcome to the club! I did a similar thing in my driveway. I was moving the trailer over getting ready to leave early the next morning and as I was backing up "BUMP". Someone must have moved to house 6 inches forward. I bent that same channel, but into the trailer, and that in turn wrinkled the aluminum siding on the side of the trailer. I was able to get behind the siding and work it back out. It now looks like someone just leaned against it.

Oh well!

Good luck!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

amandasgramma
Explorer
Explorer
cbshoestring wrote:

My DH didn't have problems.. sprayed a silicon lubricant on the channel and it slid right in.
My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds

Dee and Bob
plus 2 spoiled cats
On the road FULL-TIME.......see ya there, my friend

cbshoestring
Explorer
Explorer

daystrom
Explorer
Explorer
Also, hard to tell from the photos but it looks like the wood may have some wetness in the one part. The screw looks a bit rusty as well. Might take a look at that while the molding is off.
2012 Crossroads Zinger ZT26BH
2012 Ford F350 Lariat 4x4 6.7L PSD SRW
11,500 GVWR, 3522 lbs of payload

daystrom
Explorer
Explorer
Been there, done that!

Clipped a car mirror with mine and did the same damage and put a softball sized dent in the skin

Total insurance claim was $2200. I took the cash, paid down the balance and fixed it myself.

The corner molding was $12.00. Shipping was $120 since it was over 8' and had to be shipped freight.

Easy fix. Use lots of butyl tape underneath and ProFlex down the sides.

Get yours water tight first and foremost before you get water intrusion.
2012 Crossroads Zinger ZT26BH
2012 Ford F350 Lariat 4x4 6.7L PSD SRW
11,500 GVWR, 3522 lbs of payload