cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

DIY project for Generator rack

Snomas
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone made a rear rack for supporting a 110# generator & about 80# of misc items.
I'm thinking about an Aluminum 24"X 48" long rack attached to the back of my 22' trailer. Does the additional wt affect the tow set up and will I need to add some bumper supports. I see some solutions on the internet for about $200 but I would like to do it for less than that.
2006 WINNEBAGO ASPECT 29H Ford E450 Super Duty
2018 F150 Lariat Crew Cab, Coyote 5.0 L RWD
26 REPLIES 26

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
You'd do well to reinforce your trailer bumper with a Mount-n-Lock Safety Struts Kit. That said, putting all that much weight at the far rear of such a short trailer will unduly unload the trailer's gross tongue weight. Bottom line - regardless that some do it anyway a genset doesn't belong at the far rear of any trailer. ๐Ÿ˜ž
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
I added a 2โ€™x5โ€™ cargo rack to the rear of our camper. It is attached to the top of the frame between the bumper and the camper. It weighed in at 35 pounds or so. I had a tongue scale set up and put 100 pounds on the rack (2 grandsons). The tongue weight went down only 25 pounds. I put a bike, spare tire, 6โ€™ aluminum ladder, patio mat and sewer tote on it. I weighed each one and the total came out to just over 100 pounds.
Itโ€™s been about 4 years now and still works well. I have never experienced any sway, with our previous Frontier or the present Silverado. With the small amount of unloading, tongue weight is between 12% and 14%, depending on loading.
And, GASP!, itโ€™s on a Lippert frame.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Snomas wrote:
Sounds like I need to put the generator on the front rack where the battery goes. The generator alone would add about 110# to the tongue wt. How would that affect towing?

I don't want to have to move the generator in and out of the trailer or tow vehicle when on a trip for obvious reasons.

Yeah, this is the only place I'd mount it on a short trailer. More tongue weight generally makes the trailer itself more stable, as long as the truck can take it.

Etrailer has some over-the-tank generator racks which might be a good, easy solution.

How big is your trailer frame? Does the A-frame go through or under the front header, or is it welded to the face of the header? Some smaller trailers have marginal A-frame construction to start with, so you might need to reinforce that before adding the genny.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Snomas
Explorer
Explorer
stevemorris wrote:
no way!!
the bumper isnt strong enough and 200 lbs plus on the rear is going to affect all kinds of stuff mostly related to tongue weight
put the generator inside the trailer or tow vehicle

Inside the trailer or tow vehicle would be a last resort thing for me to do, because my DW needs a cooled down trailer when we make quick stops on trips to eat lunch, etc and I don't want to take the time to fool with a 110# generator.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Jebby14 wrote:
your rear bumper is likely little more than a pop can. remove it and integrate with the frame. also expect tongue weight issues and sway problems. can you put it on the nose?

While the bumper is usually of "pop can" quality, the frame may not be much better. Some frames are pieced together and have little capacity to carry additional weight.

Snomas
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like I need to put the generator on the front rack where the battery goes. The generator alone would add about 110# to the tongue wt. How would that affect towing?

I don't want to have to move the generator in and out of the trailer or tow vehicle when on a trip for obvious reasons.

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
All the weight that you add to the rear will remove about the same from the hitch, and add all of it to the axles

Example: 200 pounds on rear + 200 pounds removed from the hitch = 400 pounds added to axles.
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

stevemorris
Explorer
Explorer
no way!!
the bumper isnt strong enough and 200 lbs plus on the rear is going to affect all kinds of stuff mostly related to tongue weight
put the generator inside the trailer or tow vehicle
2017 Ram 1500 4door, 4x4, 5.7 l hemi, 8 speed
2008 KZ Spree 260

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
your rear bumper is likely little more than a pop can. remove it and integrate with the frame. also expect tongue weight issues and sway problems. can you put it on the nose?
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Be careful of the weight distribution.

All in, your rack will likely run 250lbs and depending on the exact spacing, I would expect around 150-200lb reduction in hitch weight.

Given your's is a relatively small & light trailer, that could easily push you under 10-12% hitch weight...too light of pin weight can cause handling problems.

Please don't bolt such a heavy rack the rear bumper...it won't last long.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Dont forget that 200+ pounds off the tail end will affect tongue weight. You will likely end up light on the nose and have handling problems if you dont compensate.

K_Mac
Explorer
Explorer
Man, I thought I was cheap$, lol. Most bumpers aren't very strong by themselves, the metal they use is usually a thin gauge. Try to attach to trailer frame and save some weight by letting your rack extend a little past your frame extension. Check your states regulations also as to weather you'll need lights, reflective D.O.T. tape, etc...