cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do we need weight distribution hitch?

BeerBrewer
Explorer
Explorer
I have another new-bee question. We are about to buy our first travel trailer, a used Grand Design 2600RB (GVWR is approximately 8000 lbs) from dealer about 6 hours away from us, if all goes well when we get there. We do plan on purchasing a weight distribution hitch, but I'm not sure if the RV dealer sells either of the type that we'd like. Assuming not, I'm wondering if it is safe to tow the trailer home without a WDH? Our TV is a 2018 Ram 2500 with a 6.7L Cummins diesel.
40 REPLIES 40

Vintage465
Nomad
Nomad
djsamuel wrote:
Vintage465 wrote:
BeerBrewer wrote:
Wow.....I didn't think my question would cause so much debate.

Just so I'm clear we definitely plan on getting WDH, even if the specs say we don't technically need one. I thought about buying one upfront and bringing it up with us. Only I figured that I'd have to install it in a random parking lot near by. I never thought that the rv dealer would install one that I purchased, but I will certainly ask now that I know it's possible.

I was more worried about towing an empty trailer, meaning I'd have almost no way of altering the tongue weight, but you folks calmed my worries about that.

There's about 5 topics that are button pushers
1. Gas or diesel
2. If diesel....Ford, GM or Dodge.
3. WD hitch or not.
4. If WD hitch....which one.
5. 6v batteries or 12v........

And by the way, I'm in the WD camp. Takes me 6 minutes to do all the lash up. So time is never really the issue. I think there are a number of folks that see the WD hitch as a crutch proving their pickup isn't stout enough. I firmly believe it is just a nicer and safer ride with it. I've nothing to prove or be ashamed of.

You forgot tires. :B

I haven't seen a knock down drag out regarding tires yet. I have something to look forward too!
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad
Vintage465 wrote:
BeerBrewer wrote:

Just so I'm clear we definitely plan on getting WDH, even if the specs say we don't technically need one. I thought about buying one upfront and bringing it up with us. Only I figured that I'd have to install it in a random parking lot near by. I never thought that the rv dealer would install one that I purchased, but I will certainly ask now that I know it's possible.

I was more worried about towing an empty trailer, meaning I'd have almost no way of altering the tongue weight, but you folks calmed my worries about that.

1. Gas or diesel
3. WD hitch or not.

And by the way, I'm in the WD camp. Takes me 6 minutes to do all the lash up. So time is never really the issue. I think there are a number of folks that see the WD hitch as a crutch proving their pickup isn't stout enough. I firmly believe it is just a nicer and safer ride with it. I've nothing to prove or be ashamed of.

You forgot tires. :B

2013 Camplite 21BHS Trailer, Ram 1500 Tow Vehicle

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
The hitch on my truck, which is rated to tow something like 15,000 pounds, is rated at 5,000 weight carrying. That speaks for itself.

Vintage465
Nomad
Nomad
BeerBrewer wrote:

1. Gas or diesel
3. WD hitch or not.

V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

BeerBrewer
Explorer
Explorer

rangerjean
Explorer
Explorer
It is huge under the truck and I will look tomorrow . my dh painted things so all I can see are two numbers top one is 5,000 and bottom one 10,000. I took a photo but can't get it on here.

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
We don't, cuz we already have one. (grin).

You should, and I would if I were you.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

rangerjean
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Chevy 3500 dually

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
rangerjean wrote:
Hate to ask a dumb question but how do I know the hitch rating?

Not dumb as the ratings can vary by manufacturer. Most have a sticker or stamp on them or you can generally go by the class of receiver (1 thru 5) based on the size of the square tube receiver size. See here for an explanation of each.

OEM receivers are usually rated for the highest tow rating of that model line with a tongue weight at a max 10 percent of tow rating with a wd hitch or around half of that without. What vehicle do you have?
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

rangerjean
Explorer
Explorer
Hate to ask a dumb question but how do I know the hitch rating?

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
One thing for certain, as many have stated, if you think you need a WD hitch, then you need a WD hitch. Otherwise, every gust of wind or rut in the highway will have your knuckles turning white. Besides, who will ever say they spent $500 on something that was not "necessary"?

There are ratings and truck scales that can help more than guessing.

js218
Explorer
Explorer
I've towed 128,ooo miles without WD, but my tow vehicle is larger than most.
2017 Haulmark 45' Super C 600hp, 12 speed I shift transmission, tandem drive axles, 3 stage engine brake, towing 26' trailer with an 08 explorer inside.
Jim

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:

Bigger heavier trailers like boats or construction trailers tend to have a LOT more toungue weight and handle better.

Not true. Boats actually have much lighter tongue weights than a tt. Most of a boats weight is over the trailer axles leaving little tongue weight usually averaging around 5-8 percent compared to a tt at 10-15 percent. Also, most construction type trailers are short with the axles near center, again leaving light tongue weights unless they are front loaded.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
My buddy bought a new 7000# TT and didn't believe in WDH either. He had towed a 15000# boat with his HD truck many times just fine. I finally talked him into the WDH and he was amazed at the difference. Much less steering correction and it felt far more stable.
Bigger heavier trailers like boats or construction trailers tend to have a LOT more toungue weight and handle better.

BTW, a WDH by itself DOES do a lot for sway because it keeps it from starting as easily in the first place.