cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Does my usage warrant diesel? Cummins 6.7 with AISIN...

Danattherock
Explorer
Explorer
First of all, having read many, many, old threads here. I want to say up front, the initial cost of the diesel, gas mileage, and ongoing cost of regular oil changes and maintenance are not considerations with my decision. My only concern is which motor will be most reliable in the years to come.

Wife and I have decided on Dodge 3500 Mega cab Laramie SRW 4x4. Hauling 27-28' Airstream (7-8k lbs) through Smoky Mountains of NC and Tenn a weekend or two each month and a big 2-3 week trip each summer out west is main towing usage.

My concern, my daily driving is just 5-7 miles (45-55 mph) into and from town, once weekly driving 30 miles away and back seeing family. And once a month 2.5 hours away to the coast to see family. Sometimes more highway driving, but this is the minimum average.

Then soon adding an Airstream, which we plan to do soon after buying TV. We will take at least one weekend trip a month to the Smoky Mountains of NC and Tenn which is 4-5 hours one way.

Is that enough to keep a diesel happy?

Read they need to be driven a lot to 'clean out'. Read various ramblings about 'Regen', throwing 'Error codes', and such, but not sure how much driving style plays into this. My concern is my driving style may better suit the gas 6.4 Hemi.

An additional variable, I'm very interested in the AISIN $2400 transmission upgrade, but it's only available in the Ram 3500 with Cummins 6.7 diesel. So if going with gas, I don't have this option available to me. Anyone familiar with AISIN? Would love to hear about it.

Our primary goal is to have a long trouble free engine life. Plan is to keep truck a long time. We don't buy new cars often. We take care of them and keep them around. My main question is for our intended usage, do you think the Cummins or Hemi 6.4 would be best?

Thanks for any insights you may share.

Dan
NC
113 REPLIES 113

Danattherock
Explorer
Explorer
NC Hauler wrote:

Next time you get around this way, shoot me a PM, maybe we can meet up somewhere, put a face to a name.....

Jim

Will do man.

Dan

kzspree320
Explorer
Explorer
RAS43 wrote:
Danattherock wrote:

Here's the video I saw of the Hemi 6.4 struggling so miserably.
It was towing 12k lbs up Ike Gauntlet in Colorado. At one point, 30 mph in first gear, and losing speed.

Skip to 15 min and 30 sec and listen.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BeWhXy_ciuM

Dan

Interesting video. Never heard I70 and the tunnels called the Ike Gauntlet. Must be a media thing. Anyway, having traveled that route many times over the years with lighter loads and lesser equipment I was impressed with the run. 30 mph with a 20000+lb gross at 11000 ft elevation was good, IMO.

We are talking about Interstate 70 an hour or so west of Denver. Ike Gauntlet is the approach to the Eisenhower tunnel at extreme elevation, where gas engines lose power due to altitude.. They just call it the Ike (Eisenhower) gauntlet after our past president.

Op is talking about a much lighter Airstream (which tows real well due to being rounded). Op - you don't really need a diesel, but I will say my 6.7 CTD sure tows well. Get what you want even if it's more than you need as long as it's in your budget Good luck.

dapperdan
Explorer
Explorer
Get the Cummins with the Aisin, you'll love it! I had an '06 Ram with the 5.7 and the 48RE. I thought I had a great truck, this last February I traded in the '06 on a '15 with the Aisin (both DRW). NOW I have a great truck. It's amazing the extra power not to mention the EB, which is equally fantastic.

The new diesel with the Aisin will serve you well and treated right will last you a long long time.

We have just over 8k on this truck already and every time I get in it I just can't believe how nice it is to drive. Love my RAM.....

Dan

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
Danattherock wrote:

It was towing 12k lbs up Ike Gauntlet in Colorado. At one point, 30 mph in first gear, and losing speed.

Dan

Interesting video. Never heard I70 and the tunnels called the Ike Gauntlet. Must be a media thing. Anyway, having traveled that route many times over the years with lighter loads and lesser equipment I was impressed with the run. 30 mph with a 20000+lb gross at 11000 ft elevation was good, IMO.

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
Danattherock wrote:
Seeing the above post, don't get hot and bothered guys. I really appreciate both of your vantage points. I value both of your well intentioned advice. My lack of insights into diesel motors, and what I will need to tow my first camper are the real problems here. Let's stay focused on the real issue, my ignorance. Im so dumb my hair hurts and my teeth itch.

Jim,

We live in Rockingham. We come through your way often. We take our whitewater raft to Johnson City,Tenn and float and fly fish the Watauga. Spend lots of time in Bryson City too. Floating and fishing the Tuck and mountain biking Tsali. The SW tip of NC and NE tip of Tenn are our favorite areas to play.

Dan

Next time you get around this way, shoot me a PM, maybe we can meet up somewhere, put a face to a name.....

Jim
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

Danattherock
Explorer
Explorer
I said "not likely to buy" Dodge truck with 68RFE transmission.

The fact that I'm considering Cummins and Hemi is also me conceding the fact that some of the many complaints I've seen online about the 68RFE may be old resolved issue. Or just BS as much of what we see on the Internet is. But I certainly have more faith in the AISIN than the 68RFE. But can only go that route with diesel, which is the very purpose of this thread.

Dodge is last thing I've seen. I'm a Chevy guy but can't make myself like their trucks. Was all set on buying Ford F-350, but then saw the Mega Cab. It accommodates our family and German shepherd as dog has room in backseat center floorboard. All other trucks will require a cap on bed for dog. That's an issue as we take whitewater raft and fly fish. With bed available we can assemble raft and run between boat ramps and campground easily. It's a snowball effect. But the mega cab appears the solution. That forced me to look at two motors I'm not familiar with.

Dan

FishOnOne
Nomad
Nomad
Danattherock wrote:
My only concern is which motor will be most reliable in the years to come.

IMO the gasser will be the most reliable in the long run with your type of driving. The emission system alone on the gasser is so much simpler than the diesel. The fuel injection system again is so much simpler on a gasser.

I'm a bit perplexed because you state you will not have a 68tranny and that's basically what's behind the gasser so why ask these questions? :h

And as always take a hard look at the other two manufacturers trucks that are produced on American soil! :W

Good luck and choose wisely...
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Danattherock
Explorer
Explorer
Seeing the above post, don't get hot and bothered guys. I really appreciate both of your vantage points. I value both of your well intentioned advice. My lack of insights into diesel motors, and what I will need to tow my first camper are the real problems here. Let's stay focused on the real issue, my ignorance. Im so dumb my hair hurts and my teeth itch.

Jim,

We live in Rockingham. We come through your way often. We take our whitewater raft to Johnson City,Tenn and float and fly fish the Watauga. Spend lots of time in Bryson City too. Floating and fishing the Tuck and mountain biking Tsali. The SW tip of NC and NE tip of Tenn are our favorite areas to play.

Dan

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
Slowmover wrote:
NC Hauler wrote:
Slowmover wrote:
2500 with gas motor. 5-link coil rear means better ride and stability. As with others, fears about the standard auto aren't warranted.

Takes a lot of miles to warm up a diesel. Engine oil temp will probably reach op temp at the 45-mile mark while solo (unless the factory has some trickery happening). Then one needs that many more miles to boil off acids.

Low annual miles and light trailer mitigate against diesel. An Airstream needs 20% less HP than a box shape trailer to maintain highway cruise.

And the solo mpg reports are encouraging for the gasser. The percentage fuel cost difference is not favorable for the diesel in this application.

And with long term ownership, years out the gasser will need less in maintenance and repairs. The truck will time out before the gas motor needs replacement.

"Better ride and stability"?? sounds more like "your opinion", based on no facts whatsoever..

Diesel will warm up in about 10 mins or less with EB on, we're talking 2013 and up .. When was the last time you read up on the "modern diesel's" of 2013 and up, or owned one other than your 04'??? Less noise, smoother ride, DEF addition helps reap much better mpg...Low annual miles and light trailer DON'T mitigate against the diesel. :R

Diesel will get better mpg towing and possibly better mpg empty. ...Where are your facts coming from about all this information you've tossed out and won't be able to back when comparing a 6.4 gasser (2014 and up) and the 2013 and up cummins...??

Do you not understand the difference between leaf and linked coil? I guess not.

As to warmup I already qualified the statement. But no diesel warms up as fast as a gasser. Guess you didn't see his normative use.

And you need check fuel reports on the gassers. The percent difference between that and the diesel won't work against initial cost, operative cost and potential eleventh year repairs. The gasser motor is already overkill. You obviously don't understand this last part.

The OP will get what makes him happy. You, on the other hand my friend, need some education as to how the numbers work if spec'g the truck for the job matters. Not to mention suspensions, trailer design, and closer reading of the OPs intended use.

Wow, .I've met my first 100% genuine no-it-all:)..It appears I DO know quite a bit about the numbers AND also know more about the NEWER diesels than you do...I know exactly what the OP is going to tow, a little ole 7 to 8K Airstream, He could tow it with a 1/2 ton gasser...but if YOU read all of his post, you might see that he seems to REALLY, REALLY want the Cummins diesel with the Aisin...just like "I" did....I didn't need it, but I purchased what "I" wanted anyway....Heck, a 2500 with the Cummins would work for the OP, ( BUT, if you re-read all his post, again, he's pretty adamant about the Cummins engine), but wants the 3500 Mega Cab SRW with the Aisin...I quite a bit about the Gen 4 Cummins and the Aisin, as well as the 68RFE, I've only owned these trucks for about 5 years, but know about the NEW/NEWER one's, but nothing before 2010, (then I owned Chevy D/A equipped trucks as my first diesel's).

To "assume" you know more than others doesn't make you right......
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

Slowmover
Explorer
Explorer
NC Hauler wrote:
Slowmover wrote:
2500 with gas motor. 5-link coil rear means better ride and stability. As with others, fears about the standard auto aren't warranted.

Takes a lot of miles to warm up a diesel. Engine oil temp will probably reach op temp at the 45-mile mark while solo (unless the factory has some trickery happening). Then one needs that many more miles to boil off acids.

Low annual miles and light trailer mitigate against diesel. An Airstream needs 20% less HP than a box shape trailer to maintain highway cruise.

And the solo mpg reports are encouraging for the gasser. The percentage fuel cost difference is not favorable for the diesel in this application.

And with long term ownership, years out the gasser will need less in maintenance and repairs. The truck will time out before the gas motor needs replacement.

"Better ride and stability"?? sounds more like "your opinion", based on no facts whatsoever..

Diesel will warm up in about 10 mins or less with EB on, we're talking 2013 and up .. When was the last time you read up on the "modern diesel's" of 2013 and up, or owned one other than your 04'??? Less noise, smoother ride, DEF addition helps reap much better mpg...Low annual miles and light trailer DON'T mitigate against the diesel. :R

Diesel will get better mpg towing and possibly better mpg empty. ...Where are your facts coming from about all this information you've tossed out and won't be able to back when comparing a 6.4 gasser (2014 and up) and the 2013 and up cummins...??

Do you not understand the difference between leaf and linked coil? I guess not.

As to warmup I already qualified the statement. But no diesel warms up as fast as a gasser. Guess you didn't see his normative use.

And you need check fuel reports on the gassers. The percent difference between that and the diesel won't work against initial cost, operative cost and potential eleventh year repairs. The gasser motor is already overkill. You obviously don't understand this last part.

The OP will get what makes him happy. You, on the other hand my friend, need some education as to how the numbers work if spec'g the truck for the job matters. Not to mention suspensions, trailer design, and closer reading of the OPs intended use.
1990 35' SILVER STREAK Sterling, 9k GVWR
2004 DODGE RAM 2WD 305/555 ISB, QC SRW LB NV-5600, 9k GVWR
Hensley Arrow; 11-cpm solo, 17-cpm towing fuel cost

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
Danattherock wrote:
Jim, just saw your sig. Thanks for your service.

Thanks Dan, appreciate that buddy. Hey, where in NC are you?
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good move choosing a 3500 Megacab...I have seen 2500 Megacabs with the Laramie Longhorn package, 4x4, and the Cummins have as little as 1700-1800 ish lbs of payload.

As far as motor...the 6.4 is a beast of a gas motor but the Cummins is a monster.

Good luck!

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

Danattherock
Explorer
Explorer
Jim, just saw your sig. Thanks for your service.

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
Slowmover wrote:

B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

Slowmover
Explorer
Explorer
Let's imagine your trailer at 7,600-lbs. .125 TW after WD means about 700-lbs on truck. This is half ton territory. Investigate what others are seeing as to TW.

If GM trucks with IFS had the 5-link rear I'd recommend that, but I know you're sold on the Megacab.

Mine has plastic bedliner. Easy to slide tubs. But knowing what my old knees tell me now with this eight foot bed I'd go for Line-X body color and a bed rug.

I have Leer topper. Zero complaints. Investigate ARE also.

Adiredneck on AIR has a Highway Products Pickup Pkg. if you want to spend money, investigate that. He has pics up. Also a bed slide from them. But id be sure of my camping load before ordering. Huge range of customizations possible. Far better space utilization. And better visibility.

And can't go wrong with a ProPride.

Trailer disc brakes is the other end of performance. See TUSON. And reviews on MR TRUCK.
1990 35' SILVER STREAK Sterling, 9k GVWR
2004 DODGE RAM 2WD 305/555 ISB, QC SRW LB NV-5600, 9k GVWR
Hensley Arrow; 11-cpm solo, 17-cpm towing fuel cost