cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dometic fridge

kennyd63
Explorer
Explorer
I am going thru my pre-check list to make sure that everything is in working order before heading to Texas tomorrow AM. So I decided to disconnect the Dometic fridge from the Electric source to make sure it would switch over to propene. ( yes I have it on auto ) I hear the electric click then it stops after a few seconds. The question is, Am I suppose to hear the flames turn on like when the hot water tank comes on, or the heater? I can not remember if it did this last time I used the T.T.:h

Thank you all in advance...
2019 Braxton Creek 24RLS
2010 Forest River Salem 403FB-Destination Trailer
2014 F150 4X4 Crew Cab
12 REPLIES 12

bbaker2001
Explorer
Explorer
this is why I like this group
BB from California
2015 Ram 3500
2001 Cardinal
best friend is my wife 🙂

kennyd63
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to everyone I did turn the stove on and that did the trick!!:B
2019 Braxton Creek 24RLS
2010 Forest River Salem 403FB-Destination Trailer
2014 F150 4X4 Crew Cab

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
braindead0 wrote:
You should be able to easily access the burner, remove access door.. and a couple of sheet metal screws so you can remove the shields. It's a good idea (IMO) to get a visual on the flame every year or so.. There are websites out there that have pictures of what a good flame on a fridge should look like.

It may be working, but not working optimally. Do this and you will know for sure.

If the check light is on no propane, however if your anal remove the vent panel and place your hand on the vent stack if warmer than ambient it's working. I have remote thermometers in fridge, freezer, basement and main read out near my usual relaxing chair, always know what is happening.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

bbaker2001
Explorer
Explorer
i turn stove on until it lights, then turn off.
I turn refer to gas and listen for clicking and then hear it light. if I am not sure I open the outside door and if I look at the small door and can see the flame.
also you might used can air and spray up the tube to get rid of any spiders. that 4" tube will get very warm if pilot is working, and I can hear the flame if I press my ear to
BB from California
2015 Ram 3500
2001 Cardinal
best friend is my wife 🙂

braindead0
Explorer
Explorer
You should be able to easily access the burner, remove access door.. and a couple of sheet metal screws so you can remove the shields. It's a good idea (IMO) to get a visual on the flame every year or so.. There are websites out there that have pictures of what a good flame on a fridge should look like.

It may be working, but not working optimally. Do this and you will know for sure.
2015 RAM 1500 4x4 5.7, 3.93
2013 Econ 16RB TT

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Did you get a 'check' light?

If NO....then fridge swapped to propane

Flame is very small........folks confuse it with being a 'pilot flame' when they look at it.
Flame may not have lit off if fridge t-stat didn't sense a need -------fridge cold.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
ALl the above notes about air in lines are correct.... and purging the line by lighting the stove/furnace/water heater.
(applicable if the propane bottles have been off since your last trip)

I light my furnace which is on the same propane gas line as the fridge. I always shut off the gas bottles after each trip.

I can hear the Fridge flame from inside my rig... but it has to be very quiet outside to hear it inside.

Sometimes I have to shutdown and power the fridge back on 3-6 times before it will light, since there's still air in the lines.
Bob

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
Before I switch the frig to LPG, I will run the stove top for a few seconds because the line is full of air after some time of non-use. I will stick my ear at the rear of the back vent and will listen for the clicking and then the flame. If it is windy or noisy around I will not hear it. My fridge check light will come on and the lighting attempts will stop after a few failed attempts of the frig auto lighting process.

Alabama_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
It is so quiet that you probably won't hear it.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
No, you wont hear the flame like you do with the water heater. It's a tiny flame.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
If the propene is on, and the lines aren't full of air, yes.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
You might "hear" it if you place your ear directly on the fridge. It is a tiny flame compared to the water heater and furnace.

Heat output is about the same as 3 standard tea light type candles.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.