cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outdoor Shower

Camsmom
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone use their outdoor shower when camping with no sewer. Any ideas for rigging something up for privacy. Going to be at the Michigan race, not sure what showers are like there. No grey water tote, seems expensive to get one just for our once a year trip to the track. We have an oxygenic head we could put on our outside shower, husband built a nice cedar 2'x2' platform, but what about privacy.
Any ideas?
18 REPLIES 18

rbtglove
Explorer
Explorer
Use it to wash the dog.
Bob/Beavercreek OH
2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ/Trail Lite 8230

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on the GI showers,

but, we have also used our outdoor shower and a small plastic pool. We all shower, and catch the water in the pool. We will use an old hose to siphon the water out and direct it toward a ditch or drain or whatever we can find close by.

I had a couple of old large hula hoops that we put shower curtain hooks on, had 2 old stained shower curtains (so there was plenty of fabric to go around) and hung it up in front of our outside shower. It worked great at the beach for "de-sanding" bathing suits without putting on a show for the neighbors.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
I've used my outdoor shower.. in the woods, in remote locations.

I've also used the indoor shower without sewer hookup, since I dry camp most of the time.

Is your gray tank small enough that you are concerned about filling it up at the race?

When I dry camp, I always follow the "GI Shower" technique.

Turn water on, get wet. Turn water off, lather up with soap, turn water on, rinse.
In and out. Saves water, and doesn't fill up the tank like a shower would if you left the water running the entire duration.
Bob

Camsmom
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies!

Cdaddy
Explorer
Explorer
Swim suits

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
Where the water goes is the big issue. Most of the portable showers I have seen were to rinse or cool off. Minimal soap and water at events with no public facilities.

Of course, we have grassy fields not bare ground.

At campgrounds I believe mud rinsing is the main use because of the high traffic.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I never really found a good use for ours except to clean up things before they get stowed away... They would be good for the little kids to wash off the sand from the beach perhaps... Great for squirting squirrels...

Back in the Jeep OFF-ROAD days someone usually brings along a portable shower and then dare all the girls to use it while they all watched drinking beers. geesch... So much for privacy there...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

xteacher
Explorer
Explorer
I don't imagine the track will want water running all over the ground creating a mud pit. Take along baby wipes - they'll do for a couple of days.
Beth and Joe
Camping Buddies: Maddie (maltese/westie?), Kramer (chi/terrier?), and Lido (yellow lab)

2017 Keystone Bullet 248RKS
2014 Aliner Expedition Off Road
2013 Ram 1500 HEMI

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
bobndot wrote:
Make sure the shower tent has a floor (that vents the water) your weight keeps it secure.
If you choose to just rig up a tarp and a strong wind hits like a rogue wave on 'Deadliest Catch' , your neighbors will probably remember you.

:B

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Opie431
Explorer
Explorer
Neighbors used what looked like a one person ice fishing shanty. Looked like a narrow, tall, one person tent. Saw someone else standing in a small child's wading pool. They had a swimming suit on.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Make sure the shower tent has a floor (that vents the water) your weight keeps it secure.
If you choose to just rig up a tarp and a strong wind hits like a rogue wave on 'Deadliest Catch' , your neighbors will probably remember you.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Any ideas for rigging something up for privacy.

Girl not included. :W

Thousand of shower pop up tents to choose from. From $20.00 to $200.00!
https://www.google.com/search?q=pop+up+shower+tent&biw=994&bih=583&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&v...

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Stop at Walmart and get a shower tent. My shower tent came from Sportsmans Guide.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Nicholsfamily05
Explorer
Explorer
We have only used it once and it was when we were staying at an atv park and came back covered in mud each time.
We rigged something up with shower curtain and auctions cup with some pvc pipe.
Helped that our slide out was right there
Definitely was not fancy.

2016 Ram 3500 4x4 Big Horn Crew Cab, SRW. Cummins Turbo Diesel Automatic 68RFE Trans
50 gallon diesel Transfer Flow tank with the Traxx 3 system.
2017 Sierra FLIK 5th Wheel
42' Front Livingroom, 15K
Hydraulic level up system