cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Don't let this happen to you!

Vintage465
Nomad
Nomad
Took off for a wonderful trip up the California Coast. We braved the rainy weather and flooding to arrive at our campsite only to find the inside of our trailer as flooded as the countryside we just crossed! The new kitchen faucet I installed actually turns on by pulling the lever down....and I have not real good at making sure the water pump is off when traveling(however, that won't be the case now!). What happened was a combination of three things:
1. I installed a new single lever faucet that when I hit a number of bumps(on detours from the flooding)the handle jiggled down(on).
2. The water pump was left on while traveling.......this won't happen again!
3. Because I had just installed the sink and faucet I had the stoppers in the sink/s to check for leaks. At least a third of that water would have gone to the gray water tank had the stopper not been inserted.................

When we got to the campsite we found all 66 gallons of fresh water inside the trailer! Took every towel and roll of paper towels in the trailer to get it sopped up. Had to find a laundry to wash and try the towels we used. And had to fill up the fresh water! That was Thursday night. We salvaged the week end at the beach and had a great time. It will take some time to let the trailer dry properly and refill it with provisions.
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!
26 REPLIES 26

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
I don't know of any lever type faucet that turn ON buy pushing the lever DOWN??

All the ones I've put in my house all need to be pushed UP to turn ON..

Oh well, lesson learned I guess! I've left my pump on accendently while on the road, but the worst that happened is that it lost it's prime and was just running.. It was a little warm, but still the same pump from 2002.. ๐Ÿ™‚

Good luck!

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Sounds like a State Farm commercial!
don't you mean a farmers commercial?

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
What kind of flooring do you have?

We had a water leak...flooded our living room/kitchen area in our 5th wheel
I used a 16 gal wet/dry shop vac ----dumped it 5 times
Finally decided that just wasn't going to cut it.
Pulled carpet/linoleum up and used blowers/fan to dry out subfloor BEFORE it swelled up, crumbled.
Missed section of slide out where water pooled in corner
$6000 + in damages

Trailer subfloors do NOT play well with water.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Vintage465
Nomad
Nomad
Rbertalotto wrote:
I just installed a lever type faucet. Got to remember to shut the pump off.

Does the single lever fixture in yours maneuver the lever down to turn it on? Here is a photo of the one I installed. Love the faucet, I think it just wasn't ready for the number of rough ride detours we had to take.
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

Bucky_Badger
Explorer
Explorer
I've always turned the water off when I leave the trailer. Never ever take the chance
2010 F150 5.4, 3.55, 4x4, Equli-z-er Hitch
2007 Forest River Salem 27RB LE
and
2009 Nomad 3980

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
I also never leave the pump on when I leave my RV unattended at the campground while I'm out playing for the day. ALso, if I'm hooked to city water, I turn off the spigot before leaving to play.
Bob

Rbertalotto
Explorer
Explorer
I just installed a lever type faucet. Got to remember to shut the pump off.
RoyB
Dartmouth, MA
2021 RAM 2500 4X4 6.4L
2011 Forest River Grey Wolf Cherokee 19RR
520 w solar-200ah Renogy Li-Epever MPPT

Vintage465
Nomad
Nomad
DutchmenSport wrote:
Wow! My wife and I were just discussing yesterday about swapping out the 2 handle faucet in the TT sink for a single handle faucet with the pull down head that can used as a sprayer. I always turn my water pump off when traveling, (I even have it double switched), but I never once though about the handle giggling on. We have these types in house and they are wonderful! Your post NOW has me rethinking. I'll be sharing with my wife! Thank-you!!!!!

Well, I am sticking with the current faucet, cause it would take a bit of work to change it, but the thought of it jiggling down into the on position never cross my mind. I am thinking of a rubber band around the spout to the lever to keep it from moving, but first..........the pump off for traveling!
V-465

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sounds like a State Farm commercial!
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Oh boy...not good.
Sounds like the perfect "storm" disaster.

Thanks for posting. At least the rest of us can learn.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Wow! My wife and I were just discussing yesterday about swapping out the 2 handle faucet in the TT sink for a single handle faucet with the pull down head that can used as a sprayer. I always turn my water pump off when traveling, (I even have it double switched), but I never once though about the handle giggling on. We have these types in house and they are wonderful! Your post NOW has me rethinking. I'll be sharing with my wife! Thank-you!!!!!

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't do that!!!

Seriously, that sucks. At least it was only 66 gallons.

When something like this happens read my sig.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!