cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dually tire valve extenders that make it easy

Jgwoods
Explorer
Explorer
I'm beating my head against the wall trying to set up my f-350 so I can easily reach the tire valves for inflate/deflate.

I have old knees and can't be crawling around trying to get at the tire valves.

Does anybody have a good set up? I don't mind modifying the plastic hubs, whatever it takes.

I am running the aluminum 17" wheels that are stock on the 2013 Lariat.

Any help is appreciated.
22 REPLIES 22

Oldme
Explorer
Explorer
Local truck repair center added the braided flexible air valve extenders
in 2013. Sorry I do not know the brand.
No problems.

Jgwoods
Explorer
Explorer
arto_wa wrote:
Milton S976 Dual Head Chuck Service Gauge has worked pretty good for me so far, without adding extenders.

Foam knee-pad is also handy to have :W

http://www.amazon.com/Milton-S976-Chuck-Service-Gauge/dp/B000CONUJM/ref=pd_sim_auto_6?ie=UTF8&refRID=1H4AJ78P5XPJ3E73M3VF

That's what I have now! Darn right about the knee pads.

arto_wa
Explorer
Explorer
Milton S976 Dual Head Chuck Service Gauge has worked pretty good for me so far, without adding extenders.

Foam knee-pad is also handy to have :W

http://www.amazon.com/Milton-S976-Chuck-Service-Gauge/dp/B000CONUJM/ref=pd_sim_auto_6?ie=UTF8&refRID=1H4AJ78P5XPJ3E73M3VF
99 F350 4x4 CC DRW 7.3L PSD, 97 Bigfoot 2500 10.6
(11,900#)

89 Duckworth 17' Pro 302

1971amerigo
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks I sent you a PM

Jgwoods
Explorer
Explorer
I just placed an order for Crossfires with extra valves that can be used to air down and also as a place to mount my TPMS.
Price for the 2 sides set up to my tire pressure spec and with hoses of the right length for my 17" tires came to $140 plus shipping.
I also got good advice - use some anti-seize on the threads, do not over tighten(finger tight +1/2 turn), watch out if you go to a tire store and let the tire guy get at them because he will over tighten and wreck them.
I can give you contact info for the very nice guy I ordered from via PM.
Joe

AISURFFISH
Explorer
Explorer
The addition valves half to be assembled at time of production..ie special order..
Find a local dealer to make the order.. Jeff is great to deal with but they don't sell to the public only to the wholesaler..
Got mine shipped directly but had to buy from a dealer via phone.. Took about 8 days.
2017 F350 6.2L Crew Cab

Arctic Fox 990 2021 TORK-LIFT FAST GUNS AND SUPER HITCH
COOLER RACK OFF THE FRONT ALWAYS FULL OF FISHING RODS TICA TO BE EXACT

AISURFFISH
Explorer
Explorer
Not so far.. Two trips in the sand last fall .. been to West Virginia and back Williamsburg Virginia and back and also Trenton New Jersey and back everything seems to be working fine so far
2017 F350 6.2L Crew Cab

1971amerigo
Explorer
Explorer
AISURFFISH
Thanks for that info .
Have you had any problems using these at the beach.

Thanks

Bob W.

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
I tried the chrome metal extenders from camping world and on two separate occasions found my inside duals flat...Problem is no matter how I tried them they would not hold air and deflate the tires...Threw them away and all is well again...

Jgwoods
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Aisurfish that's a big help. I sent the Crossfire folks and email and I am supposed to call Jeff there on Monday. Now I know what to discuss with him.

I may have to dismount and remount the wheels if it is necessary to have the tire valves be opposite each other to make it work. But that's OK.

I'm getting closer, and will post progress.

AISURFFISH
Explorer
Explorer
1971amerigo wrote:
I don't believe a crossfire system will let you deflate your tires.
They have a check valve to prevent accidental deflation.

They will air down if you special order your hoses with the additional valve before the check valve/gauge.

I have the set with the additional T in the hose so that I can air down to go on the beach the air will leave through this valve for each tire. this setup is also for people who have automatic tire pressure gauge is built into their truck system you would put your vehicles gauge here instead of at the valve stem..

I would also recommend having your valve stems changed when having these installed just to make sure you are getting a nice clean fresh seal to start off the job. when I did mine unfortunately I had a leak on one of the inner tires and it was because of the valve stem. once I replaced that Valve Stem everything worked fine.
2017 F350 6.2L Crew Cab

BigToe
Explorer
Explorer
The caveat to having long metal valve stems repurposed from tractor tires (such as what Tire Man sells) on the inside dual is when you go to rotate tires, or when you need another spare tire in a pinch.

I've had two blow outs on my dually, and one time, I needed to mount the inside dual from the rear onto the steer axle on the front until I could get to a place to get another tire for a spare.

If I had 6" long valve stems on the inside dual rear, then I wouldn't have been able to mount the tire on the front axle, and I wouldn't be able to air it up very well if mounted on the outside rear axle, which is the proper position if singling out a dually pair in an emergency (when not fully loaded to the point of needed all of the available tire capacity).

Granted, it is a rare instance when you need two spares, or when you are without a spare, but it can happen, and one would be less prepared for that situation with a permanently mounted long valve stem on the inside duals.

I'm not saying that the Tire Man option is a bad idea, I'm just pointing out that there can be reasons why it is not ideal or optimal in all situations. I like all my tires and wheels to be interchangeable. As it is, I now have four perfectly matched drive tires in two dually pairs that I would not want to break up as they are evenly worn across all four. In fact, I don't rotate them. I do have several steer axle tires I rotate through. But in a pinch, the normal hard mounted metal valve stems make all the tires deployable in any position when far afield and self reliant.

Jgwoods
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks,
All your links work fine. I tried Firefox and Chrome to no avail earlier, also laptop and phone, no luck. Odd.

Anyway- Tire Man stuff is for steel wheels and I have aluminum.
Still looking for a solution for Aluminum wheels.
I may call the Tire Man guy and ask him for help.
Thank you for helping,
Joe

fpoole
Explorer
Explorer
Joe,
Me thinks there's something going on with your browser, pops/websites being blocked?

Here's the link

http://tire-man.iwvisp.com/

try to copy paste in the browser to get here..
It appears to be a one man show..

This might help some:
Chuck & Sue Carvitto
Owners

STORE LOCATION: 517 W. Inyokern Rd. - Ridgecrest, CA 93555
STORE HOURS: Monday-Friday 8:00am-5:00pm, Saturday 8:00am-noon
PHONE TOLL FREE: 1-888-889-8996
PHONE: (760) 446-3546
CELL: (760) 382-1520
E-MAIL: tire-man@mediacombb.net

Hope that helps...
Frank Poole
Roam'n ROG (Full Timer since Oct '15)
2016 RAM 5500, C/c, 6.7 Diesel, AISIN HD 6-spd, 19.5 DRW, 72 Gal fuel, 4x4, 10’ Alum FB, 440 Amps, 4.10 Axle
2016 AF 990 640-Solar/10-6v Batts
GlowStep Stow N’ Go, E-Bike
RS1 Buggy
frank

Pooles website