cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Electric Water Heater install?

AirForceAngler
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone ever changed out their standard gas water heater for one that will work on either gas or electric? Thinking of doing this with our Palamino Mustang. I haven't even looked at the electrical box to see if there's an open place for a new circuit yet, just curious.

Thanks!
2013 Toyota Tundra DoubleCab 4x4 iForce 5.7
2014 Grey Wolf by Forest River 26BH TT
4 REPLIES 4

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hott Rod & Lightning Rod are two aftermarket electric heat elements that install in drain hole of water heater tank.

Both are low wattage elements and can be a source of supplemental heat...great for maintaining hot water but very slow in recovery time.

Both have adapters for use in Atwood (1/2") or Suburban (3/4") drain holes and also have a small anode rod adapter for use in Suburban Brands (needed!)

Both Atwood & Suburban will void any warranty if they are used.
Not OEM equipment and because they go in the drain hole folks have a tendency to NOT drain & flush tank.

Replacing with a combo electric/gas model can be done......
Need to stay with same brand and size otherwise opening in side of rig would need to be modified.
Also would need AC circuit breaker, switch and wiring added.
Depending on brand may have to have 12V DC power also..Atwood uses a DC relay to energize AC power to element.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
We have electric/propane in our fifth wheel, and it is WONDERFUL! A friend of ours installed the kit above and really likes it. He said installation was a snap and he's not really mechanically inclined.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

AirForceAngler
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks! That looks like something to look into. We don't use a heck of a lot of hot water since we no longer have a shower so that should work great!
2013 Toyota Tundra DoubleCab 4x4 iForce 5.7
2014 Grey Wolf by Forest River 26BH TT

bondebond
Explorer
Explorer
Without going to the trouble and expense, you can add an electric heating element to your existing water heater, such as the Hott Rod kit at AdventureRV.com. There are a few other similar products.

The upside is you just need to find an existing 120v AC circuit or run a new one and install an outlet that is handy. I would install the outlet on the inside and route the cord to the inside to make it easier. Technically, I would install an actual switch with LED light to visually confirm that it is turned on - quite a common installation.

The downside is that it is not as strong of a heating element as the dedicated or OEM elements.

This is a relatively easy route to try before you commit to something more intensive.

I'm not sure if you have a particular model picked out but a Suburban 6 gallon with electronic ignition and 120v heating element is about $325 here before shipping.
You would still need to run 120v service just as you would above but then it's a relatively swap out with what you currently have, most likely.
This space left intentionally.

2006 Fleetwood Sequoia and mods...one of the tallest highwall pop-ups on the planet after flipping the axle.