cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

EMS Installation Question

dmullen
Explorer
Explorer
When installing a Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C are there any negatives to completely removing the heavy shore power cable and just use romex from the plug to the input of the EMS and then wire in the existing romex to the output? It would make for a much easier and cleaner looking install not having to deal with that black cable.

I could remove the metal box as well and just set the EMS there could I not?
38 REPLIES 38

dmullen
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
Yes, you can run properly sized type NM cables. I would up-size cable to #8 so you can get stranded.
Make sure when you install the solid wire that stress on bends is taken care of by shaping the wire as you install it.
Care must be taken as any continual vibration can fracture solid conductors.

Should I upsize to #8 stranded when the factory wiring is #10 solid?

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Yes, you can run properly sized type NM cables. I would up-size cable to #8 so you can get stranded.
Make sure when you install the solid wire that stress on bends is taken care of by shaping the wire as you install it.
Care must be taken as any continual vibration can fracture solid conductors.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
dmullen wrote:
GrandpaKip wrote:
Don't really understand your first question. Do you want to hardwire the camper to shore power?

For the second question, that is where I would put it.

I am removing the shore power cable and replacing it with a Furrion power outlet. I am going to add the EMS at the same time.

I found a few pages about it on line. Yes, you could use romex from there to your ems and then from the ems to your panel. You dont want to use romex where it will be flexed over and over. Romex of the proper size for the amperage securely fastened will be fine.

dmullen
Explorer
Explorer
GrandpaKip wrote:
Don't really understand your first question. Do you want to hardwire the camper to shore power?

I am removing the shore power cable and replacing it with a Furrion power outlet. I am going to add the EMS at the same time.

dmullen
Explorer
Explorer
Big Love wrote:
You can insert the EMS anywhere between shore power (input) and the Romex cable going to your converter. In my case, there was already enough slack in the Romex running from the outside shore receptacle going to the converter so that I simply cut the Romex and then re-attached it to both sides of the EMS.

That is what I was wondering, could I use Romex from the outside shore receptacle to the input of the EMS and then connect the output of the EMS to the Romex that is already there going to the converter. If I can do that then can I not remove the black cable and metal box that is in the picture?

GrandpaKip
Explorer II
Explorer II

Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

Big_Love
Explorer
Explorer
You can insert the EMS anywhere between shore power (input) and the Romex cable going to your converter. In my case, there was already enough slack in the Romex running from the outside shore receptacle going to the converter so that I simply cut the Romex and then re-attached it to both sides of the EMS.

heckufaguy
Explorer
Explorer
I've really no idea what you're doing, but I do a bit of electrical. Keeping in mind that stranded wire carries more amperage than solid and also flex's better. So keeping in mind that any stranded cable isn't there for flex, make sure you adjust your gauge of wire to compensate for solid over stranded.

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
I would call the manufacturer instead of asking for a bunch of guesses. JMHO