cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Engel Built-In Frig

hedgehopper
Explorer
Explorer
Recently, we bought an Engel portable frig-freezer to use as a freezer in our TC. After using it for three trips, the last two in very hot weather, we are delighted.

During those last two trips, the built-in frig that came with our TC has struggled to keep the temperature below 40 F, sometimes not successfully. So we are wondering if an Engel built-in would be an improvement.

Do any of you have any experience with an Engel built-in, either positive or negative?
5 REPLIES 5

big_whitey
Explorer
Explorer
hedgehopper wrote:
big whitey wrote:
for all intents and purposes engel does not offer a built in. they are a great unit but not really intended to be a RV fridge as their feeble attempt at a built in is just that as it does not have a freezer just a fridge. it is a shame but Japan has no desire at present to get in the RV fridge business. the above is the info i gained after considerable research and numerous phone calls to their corporate office.
I am puzzled by your statement that "Engel does not offer a built in." What about the SR48, SR70, and the SB70? All of these appear to have a small freezer.

maybe things have changed maybe not since my research about 3 years ago. got all my info at that time straight from Engel,if it was a lie they told it. my apologies if my info was wrong or dated.

hedgehopper
Explorer
Explorer
big whitey wrote:
for all intents and purposes engel does not offer a built in. they are a great unit but not really intended to be a RV fridge as their feeble attempt at a built in is just that as it does not have a freezer just a fridge. it is a shame but Japan has no desire at present to get in the RV fridge business. the above is the info i gained after considerable research and numerous phone calls to their corporate office.
I am puzzled by your statement that "Engel does not offer a built in." What about the SR48, SR70, and the SB70? All of these appear to have a small freezer.

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have the Engel 45. Will not buy another. Started vibrating badly after the first year. I've done everything I can to it save a new compressor!!! $$$$

My gas fridge is pathetic at best. I am researching 12/120 fridges for a winter project. TruckFridge has some attractive prices but I don't know if they have the Danfoss system, and that is the system you want.

Four Wheel Camper has good luck with their fridge. You might email them for info on that.
'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.

big_whitey
Explorer
Explorer

transit_94
Explorer
Explorer
I have a NORCOLD 12VOLT/110 VOLT COMPRESSOR FRIDGE IT WAS INSTALLED IN 2005. GREAT UNIT LOW VOLTAGE DRAW ON 12 VOLT,NEVER A PROBLEM WITH TEMP OR OF LEVEL. NOT CHEAP BUT QUALITY NEVER IS. I WOULD NOT WANT TO GO BACK TO PROPANE. HERB.