cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Entry Door Hinges

Safariscout1974
Explorer
Explorer
Hi. Have a 2012 Starcraft Autum Ridge 336 RESS and the door hinges have ceased up.|The dealer is 1500 km away so it is cheaper for me to fix it (yes under warrty but cost of fuel & ferry would be $1500...one way). So my question is can you buy the door hinges (main door & screen door), or do you have to buy a new door? Thanks for any advice you can give.

Regards

Greg Harris
12 REPLIES 12

Safariscout1974
Explorer
Explorer
Mine seized up on my 2012 Starcraft and I had to cut the rod in between the hinges to get the entry door open.It's a 3/16 steel rod through alumimun hinges. I'm on the hunt now to find out the manufacture of the door to try and get a set of replacement hinges. If I get a set, the first thing I will do is replace the steel rod with either aluminum or a smaller diameter. Water could not escape so guess what happened....

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have heard of some manufactures using a steel pin in aluminum hinge. This causes a ; (oh heck , what's that called again) problem that causes them to seize up.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
This reminded me to check mine. Yup starting to get tight.Thanks for posting back.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Safariscout1974
Explorer
Explorer
If I get the replacement hinges, I will keep this in mind. I fear that it is a design flaw as the rod through the whole hinge is a 3/16 and the bore hole through the aluminum hinge is the same size, no room for water to escape. The new hinges or door (if I can get it covered under warranty) will be "frequently lubed". Thanks for the tips!!!!

Community Alumni
Not applicable
westend wrote:
Greg,
Have you tried soaking them with a rust penetrant? Mine were very stiff and I freed them up by using some rust penetrants and lubricating oil. They now swing easily.

Yeah, I agree. I spray mine with Jig-A-Loo every couple of months. They do have a tendency to squeak or tighten up.

Nvr2loud
Explorer
Explorer
I know you tried penetrating oil, have you tried a product like Jigaloo?

It has worked twice for me on very stubborn hinges. The first one was the door hinge on my Sierra, I had to spray it several times a day for a few days before it finally started working again. I swear that I opened and closed that door 300 times in a few days... just to work the product into the hinge.

I also had the side door on my utility trailer completely seize the hinges. When I attempted to open the door, the wall of the trailer was actually bending where the hinge attached, rather then the hinge opening up. I went out to the trailer each night after returning home from work and sprayed the hinges. I kept trying to carefully open the door. Eventually the door started to open a little bit on the hinge. I kept at it for awhile and now it works just like new again.

I spray a fluid film on the exposed hinges now to prevent the problem from occurring again. Those hinges are also the rod type with no water escape route.

aftermath
Explorer II
Explorer II
If the trailer is under warranty you should be able to have it fixed at a local shop. I don't believe you have to return it to the place of purchase but I would check with Starcraft and get their OK.
2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
Kanolab.com AeroKroil guaranteed to loosen anything in 24 hr.
http://www.kanolabs.com/msn/

Safariscout1974
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the replies and sorry for taking so long in getting back. "Westend"....I think I used a full can and "soaked| the hinges to no avail. It appears to be a design flaw by the door manufacture. It's a 3/16 rod with no room for water to escape.

"hddecker"...glad you enjoyed Newfoundland and the hinges on the door are all rivited in so I omaunfactureuld whave to drill them out of the frame. The hinge was siexed so bad it would no rotate around the rod. I am looking to see who makes the door and then contact them for a replacement set....that is my next quest.

hddecker
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Greg,

We was to your place for a visit just about this time last year, but you weren't home. I love your province, I didn't realize the Rock was as big as it is. Like everything else so much to see so little time. I want to go back for six to nine months and do NL justice.

I would give westends solution a try. If you can take the hinges off and let them soak in a penetrating bath for a few days they will probably free up. The hinges are a pain in the backside to keep lubed up, I keep a can of silicone spray in the trailer and give the hinges a shot every few weeks. You can find the silicone spray at Canadian Tire.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Greg,
Have you tried soaking them with a rust penetrant? Mine were very stiff and I freed them up by using some rust penetrants and lubricating oil. They now swing easily.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

RV_CONUS
Explorer
Explorer
In the same process right now.

I contacted Tiffin. Our hinges are no longer made. Phillips was the hinge manufacturer.

However, Tiffin Parts service is sending me three hinges that replaced our current hinges. They believe they will work.

Tiffin gave me dealer cost for each hinge which is $37.83, retail was $53 and change.

Doors are not cheap. I did a temp repair on the hinges, which snapped until I receive the new hinges. If the hinges they send don't work, then the only alternative may be a new door with framework. Not Cheap. $400-800, depending on where you look. Before I replace the door, think I'll try to locate a surplus/salvage source.

Contact your manufacturer. As your unit is under warranty they may send you new hinges without any cost.

Good luck. PITA for an entry door.
2006 Allegro Open Roads 34WA
2015 GMC Terrain
2009 Blue OX Aventa LX
2009 Brake Buddy Classic