Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Equal-izer Hitch Bars

Bigfoot2005
Explorer
Explorer
Hey guys

Will be getting a new Imagine 2800BH next year and looking into getting a Equal-i-zer Hitch

I did the hitch size calculator on their website and it is telling me to get the 1400 lb version.

GTW - 7995 lbs
Tongue weight - Dry 604 lbs - Rough actual - 13% is 1039 lbs
Cargo weight in bed of truck - 400 lbs

Truck hitch says max is 1250 lbs

is 1400 lbs bars to stiff or should I go with the 1200 lb version

All figures are estimates but close
21 REPLIES 21

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Bigfoot2005 wrote:

What is the issue with having to stiff of the bars? 1400 versus 1200

Stiffer bars make for a bumpier ride. That's about all. A softer bar allows more porpoising. Some receiver hitches in vehicles are rated at different weights.

Muleycrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Bigfoot2005 wrote:
Bigfoot2005 wrote:
opnspaces wrote:
Seems like 1200 lb bars to me. I don't think the weight in the bed comes into play.

When you do the calculation on their website they ask for the bed weight i guess because you are transferring weight from the rear axle and anything over the axle adds to the transfer weight

A rough ride and potential damage to the type frame
Bars are like shoes
Bigger isn’t better
The right size is the right size

As for the bed weight some believe in adding it in
Some don’t
Whatever you believe only the weight behind the tv rear axle would be counted
I have now had 3 different sized EQUALIZER hitches
As I moved up in tt weight I bought the next size up to match the weight

WayneAt63044
Explorer
Explorer
I'm using the 1,400/14,000 Equal-i-zer 4 point with the 7,800 lbs trailer gross in my signature and the Ram 1500. Rides fine. I had the 1,200/12,000 previously and the hitch head broke. To my mind, the dynamic forces are a consideration rather than just the non-moving static weights. If your hitch weight would be 15% of gross based on trailer loading in the front, you'd be at 1,200 lbs anyway.
2012 Forest River V-Cross Vibe 826VFK
pulled by 2009 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Hemi

Bigfoot2005
Explorer
Explorer
Bigfoot2005 wrote:
opnspaces wrote:
Seems like 1200 lb bars to me. I don't think the weight in the bed comes into play.

When you do the calculation on their website they ask for the bed weight i guess because you are transferring weight from the rear axle and anything over the axle adds to the transfer weight

Bigfoot2005
Explorer
Explorer
opnspaces wrote:

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
If you go with the heftier system, you'll never have to purchase a set again when you decide to get a heavier trailer someday. I had 14,000 / 1400 Equal-i-zer's but my trailer was heavier and my truck was a 1 ton dualy. Overkill? perhaps, but I never had issues of being under-par. Your choice, but if mine again, I'd go with the heftier system.

I gave my Equal-i-zer system to a colleague at work who purchased a Keystone Passport (approx 8000 pounds) towing with a 1500 Expedition. He said it towed with no problem at all. The WD system worked just fine.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup