cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eternabond tape on fiberglass sides

penguin149
Explorer
Explorer
My 2011 Jayco X17C has a leak. It’s a HTT and on the front bed the there’s a seam where the fiberglass siding meets the metal trim, water is seeping in. It’s not much but enough that it’s wicking up and has caused some damage. I’m thinking about putting 2” Eternabond tape along this seam to seal it from leaking. Has anyone used Eternabond tape on the sides of their TT? Would there be any drawbacks doing this? Do you think it would look OK? I’m pretty particular about how my trailer looks but I cannot have it leaking!!
2021 Nissan Titan Pro-4X 5.6L V8 4WD - 2019 Keystone Bullet 243BHS
6 REPLIES 6

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Gdetrailer wrote:
While you could do that, I suspect it isn't going to look pretty.

The better route is to remove the aluminum trim, then remove and clean up the caulking that is under the trim.

Then add new caulking and reinstall the aluminum trim.

To remove the aluminum trim, you will need to remove the plastic cover on the trim, that will uncover the screws that hold the trim in place.

You might be able to reuse the plastic cover if it hasn't gotten brittle but better yet, you can buy new plastic cover material..

Looks like this..

1" wide can be found HERE

You will need to measure the width as there are different trim widths.

The caulking used under the aluminum trim is a flat butyl rubber tape, very sticky when new..

Looks like this..

Found HERE for $18 for 30ft

Do it right the first time with the correct products, otherwise you will regret the results of attempting to remove a product that is called "Eternabond"..

I would remove clean and re-calk with the correct calk and butyle tape.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have successfully used eternal bond tape on side of my fiberglass trailer and where it attaches to lower metal frame due to road debris damage. The white tape blended in nicely with my white trailer. Never any water leaks in many years of hard travel.

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on removing the metal corner molding, first I’d check the water damage JD deal with repairing it as left alone will just get worse. Then put down new butyl tape, then reinstall the metal trim and seal with Dicor.

A good video to watch is this one….. https://youtu.be/PO8EvZ4AAp8

In it you will see a Dicor corner tape available on Amazon used. If I ever have to do this job it’s exactly what I would use….. https://www.amazon.com/Dicor-CS200B-1-Seal-Tite-Corner-Seal/dp/B0778W37ZD?dchild=1&keywords=Dicor+CS200B-1+Seal-Tite+Corner+Seal+Tape+-+2%22+x+50%27&qid=1626444496&sr=8-1&linkCode=sl1&tag=lo02f-20&linkId=1955b9423a92affab706dfd5d1c137b8&language=en_US&ref_=as_li_ss_tl
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Eternabond will work but it is one heck of a job to keep it under control when you apply it.

I would use dicor next time.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
While you could do that, I suspect it isn't going to look pretty.

The better route is to remove the aluminum trim, then remove and clean up the caulking that is under the trim.

Then add new caulking and reinstall the aluminum trim.

To remove the aluminum trim, you will need to remove the plastic cover on the trim, that will uncover the screws that hold the trim in place.

You might be able to reuse the plastic cover if it hasn't gotten brittle but better yet, you can buy new plastic cover material..

Looks like this..

1" wide can be found HERE

You will need to measure the width as there are different trim widths.

The caulking used under the aluminum trim is a flat butyl rubber tape, very sticky when new..

Looks like this..

Found HERE for $18 for 30ft

Do it right the first time with the correct products, otherwise you will regret the results of attempting to remove a product that is called "Eternabond"..

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
Clean the joint and use some caulk.