cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Eternabond?

87bob
Explorer
Explorer
I am re-roofing a 1996 Jayco Eagle and for the vents and other projections through the top and sides of the unit I am considering the Eternabond product what is your experience with it?
9 REPLIES 9

wjurls
Explorer
Explorer
87bob wrote:
I am re-roofing a 1996 Jayco Eagle and for the vents and other projections through the top and sides of the unit I am considering the Eternabond product what is your experience with it?

Bob, On my Jayco (Same model as yours) I used a product called "Quick Roof Rubber" Works like Eternabond and comes in a 6" wide roll. I cut the strips down to 3" wide to cover the screws and flange of the vents. I used a full 6" wide strip along the end seams where the rubber meets the corrugated aluminum.

Quick Roof

This stuff is super sticky, I used some to patch holes last fall and had trouble removing it for the re-roof job...

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Dayton furnace blower, DIY manometer, ladder, piece of plywood taped in window opening:

In a 22' Starcraft, I was pushing 2" on the manometer. The commercial testers pull 1" or less so there was plenty of pressure. One thing I thought of in advance (not too often this happens, lol) was to sketch out five pages with all the sides, front, back, and roof. It then made it pretty easy to mark on the paper where the leaks were, go back and fill the openings with Geocel Tripolymer sealant (similar to Geocel Proflex). My experience, too, was that all of the Eternabond areas held without leaks. The one exception was the smallest of pinholes at the junction of two tapes. I rerolled that joint and hit it with a little sealant.
My pressure test turned up about 20 leaks. This was after completely reframing, restoring, and resealing every joint. A lot of the leaks were at corners, siding panel intersections, marker lights, and such.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

kayco53
Explorer
Explorer
I like your blower system will have to try it out on my rig.
2007 GMC 2500hd
2011 Creekside 23RKS

Jerry9n
Explorer
Explorer
It can be done by a dealer. Also some have used leaf blowers through a door or window. I had an old furnace blower I rigged through the pass through storage. Slide in. Found dozens of leaks on a 2 year old trailer. Ended up pulling out all the caulking and replacing it. None of the Eternabond I had put in leaked though.

Pics:

The blank in the pass through opening was held in with toggle bolts.
Jerry9n
2009 23' Cikira Escape EXP
2006 Ford Expedition
Reese Pro Series SC
Tekonsha Primus IQ
HTT Mods

Krazykid
Explorer
Explorer
I have a rookie question. How do pressurize the interior with a blower? And do you do this with the slide in or out?

westend wrote:
Jerry9n wrote:
It's great. Used it on all the penetrations and seams on our roof. Make sure the roof is clean and you use plenty of pressure.

Also, you can use a caulk like Pro Flex along edges and joints if you wish.
Exactly!
Tip: When you're done and everything is sealed, pressurize the interior with a blower and spray soapy water over the exterior. Every pinhole will turn up.

A pin hole exposed:

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Jerry9n wrote:
It's great. Used it on all the penetrations and seams on our roof. Make sure the roof is clean and you use plenty of pressure.

Exactly!
Tip: When you're done and everything is sealed, pressurize the interior with a blower and spray soapy water over the exterior. Every pinhole will turn up.

A pin hole exposed:
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Jerry9n
Explorer
Explorer

Jerry9n
2009 23' Cikira Escape EXP
2006 Ford Expedition
Reese Pro Series SC
Tekonsha Primus IQ
HTT Mods

pbitschura
Explorer
Explorer
Used it, love it, great factory support if you have questions. Start slow, it takes a little practice and it sticks like nobody's business. There's no loosening it or repositioning it. Where it touches anything, it sticks. Good luck.
2020 Braxton Creek 24fb travel trailer

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Eternabond is a fantastic product. It's a one time repair.
Make sure you clean the area well before applying the Eternabond.

Eternabond Posts