cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Expedition tow vehicle

Dmich91
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all. We are looking to buy our first travel trailer. Our tow vehicle is a 2013 Ford Expedition with the tow package. Up to 9200 pounds. We are looking at a travel trailer with a dry weight of 6400 pounds and a gross weight of 8500 pounds. Our salesman seems to be confident that we won't have issues because we won't travel with all tanks full. We are new to this and want opinions from people that have experience. Any info is appreciated. We want to be able to pull on all terrains in the US.
26 REPLIES 26

horton333
Explorer
Explorer
mbutts wrote:
I towed with an Expy and went from a 4,400 lbs. 25' trailer to a 7,700 lbs. 32' trailer. The rear of the Expy was just too squishy (independent rear suspension and non-truck tires) and I was very uncomfortable towing with it.

I would suggest keeping your shopping list down to trailers with a gross weight of 6,000 lbs.

The independent rear suspension is a significant advantage of the SUV in that weight class, more stable, maybe you needed a bit more air in the tires ...

Ford Explorer or Chrysler 300C to tow with.
Tracer Air 238 to be towed.
Triumph Thunderbird Sport - with the toy-hauler gone it's at home.
Retired very early and loving it.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
"They don't tend to tow long distances or go very fast."
Tires NEVER blow if you don't go long distances or very fast...NEVER!

"but it does okay with the load."
And that means they will never have an issue..cuzz its "okay with the load."
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
"Our salesman seems to be confident that we won't have issues because we won't travel with all tanks full."

Sure! Travel with empty tanks, then if you find a really nice spot that doesn't have water...you can keep driving until you find water and another spot...when you wanted to stop 40 miles back. Sounds fun!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

mbutts
Explorer
Explorer
I towed with an Expy and went from a 4,400 lbs. 25' trailer to a 7,700 lbs. 32' trailer. The rear of the Expy was just too squishy (independent rear suspension and non-truck tires) and I was very uncomfortable towing with it.

I would suggest keeping your shopping list down to trailers with a gross weight of 6,000 lbs.
Mike Butts
DW+DD+DS+Poodles
2017 Forest River Forester 3011DS (first MH!)
Previously 1999 Coleman Santa Fe pop-up, 2007 Kodiak 23SS hybrid, 2013 Sunset Trail 29SS travel trailer

horton333
Explorer
Explorer
Dmich91 wrote:
Hi all. We are looking to buy our first travel trailer. Our tow vehicle is a 2013 Ford Expedition with the tow package. Up to 9200 pounds. We are looking at a travel trailer with a dry weight of 6400 pounds and a gross weight of 8500 pounds. Our salesman seems to be confident that we won't have issues because we won't travel with all tanks full. We are new to this and want opinions from people that have experience. Any info is appreciated. We want to be able to pull on all terrains in the US.

When you see people replying as if weight is the only issue then take it as suspect (you'll see lots of that). What height of trailer, length, axle type, hitch setup and expected live weight. These are typically the important criteria for an SUV and a medium weight trailer like this.
If you just plop it on the hitch you will be headed for the ditch even if your weights are fine, add adjusted weight distribution and almost for sure add some sway control (the overhang ratio on SUVs tends to dominate over weight carrying ability) then I suspect you will be fine but again there is not enough information for an informed reply in this post.

Ford Explorer or Chrysler 300C to tow with.
Tracer Air 238 to be towed.
Triumph Thunderbird Sport - with the toy-hauler gone it's at home.
Retired very early and loving it.

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
My sister and brother in law have a 3.5 Ecoboost EL and they tow a 6000 lb gross weight trailer with it. I'm sure they're over their GVWR with it loaded to camp when you add in the tongue weight, dog, three kids, two adults, coolers, etc., but it does okay with the load. They don't tend to tow long distances or go very fast.

I don't recall the axle ratings off hand, but the payload on it is pretty silly - 1350 lbs or so. I remember because it because it's the same as my wife's Pilot. It is a pretty loaded model.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
bikendan wrote:
Look for the payload capacity, on the driver's door yellow sticker.
Come back and post that amount.

Tow vehicles run out of payload capacity way before coming close to towing capacity, ESPECIALLY SUVS.
You'll never come close to the 9200lbs.
Agree with this. Your Expedition has a max rear axle weight rating. Everything in the vehicle counts as payload except a 150 pound driver. Trailer tongue weight and hitch weight count as well. As stated you will exceed that rating before you get to the 9200 pound tow rating. As a general rule 13 to 15 percent of the trailer's total weight for figuring tongue weight.

Arcamper
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 14 Expedition Limited and even though I have never pulled a travel trailer with it I have pulled my boat( 7,000 lbs and 680 lbs of tongue weight). This is all the load I would ever want to pull with it because the suspension is to soft. Going down the road it is ok but I am always afraid in the event I have to make a quick maneuver the boat would decide where we go. The power from the 5.4 comes in at a high RPM and a boat has very little wind drag so it may have a harder time with the large frontal area of a travel trailer. If I were in your shoes I would not do it based on the fact you will be at the top of its capacity and owning one myself think that 9200 lbs is a stretch to begin with. And yes mine has the heavy tow package also.
2016 Montana 3100RL Legacy(LT's,Joy Rider 2's,disc brakes)
2014 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Cummins/Aisin 14,000 GVWR
2014 Ford Expedition Limited, HD tow pkg
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
1999 Stingray 240LS
1994 Chevy 1500 5.7 PU
2018 John Deere 1025R
B&W RVK3600 Hitch

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
For towing that much weight in the Rockies I would want a vehicle with a turbo. Otherwise you will lose a lot of HP as the elevation increases.
You need to load your family and gear in the tow vehicle and weigh it, preferably with a separate rear axle weight. Then, using the vehicle's GVWR you can determine how much payload is left for hitch weight. Hitch weight wi" be at least 10 percent of trailer weight, likely more. I suspect you don't have enough payload for anywhere close to that size trailer.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
If you just load that trailer to 7,500 lbs, you will have a tongue wt around 900 lbs, plus another 100 lbs for the hitch. Your payload will be the issue, depending on family size, and gear in the tow vehicle.

This sounds like a 30' trailer, that may not handle the best, in the wind, or mountains, being towed by a SUV.

More info is needed, but this trailer may be too much for your intended use.

Welcome to the forum! You are wise to do some research before purchase, not just taking the sales person word that it will be okay.

Jerry

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Look for the payload capacity, on the driver's door yellow sticker.
Come back and post that amount.

Tow vehicles run out of payload capacity way before coming close to towing capacity, ESPECIALLY SUVS.
You'll never come close to the 9200lbs.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

b17drvr
Explorer
Explorer
The salesman would tell you it is no problem to tow the trailer with a Prius. Don't believe them.