cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Experienced TTers, can you spare a little buying advice...?

LadyBetamax
Explorer
Explorer
I need a new trailer.

The top contenders: The Grand Design 2150, the Keystone Outback 220urs or the Forest River Surveyor 245bhs, with dark horse runnings from the Minnie Winnie 2201ds and the Lance 1995.

It needs to be safe. It needs to take miles. It has to handle both extremely hot and extremely wet weather. It absolutely can't spend six months of the first year in the shop...Please, I don't want to have to build this thing myself.

The truck: 2014 GMC Sierra, 5.3 v8, 2x4, 3.42 ratio, camper shell.

The job: Lots of towing back and forth across south and midwest during the spring/summer; around the Pacific Northwest, the West, and the Southwest during the fall/winter. Lots of blue line highways, older RV parks, lots of rest stops. Pitted asphalt. Crumbling roads. Washouts.

I like the way the Surveyor reminds me of a Catalina sailboat - it seems like an easy choice, turn key wise. But is it as seaworthy as it appears?

So there's the Keystone Outback - okay, I flat out adore the King Bed slide out and the fold away bunks in the small (>22 ft) size.

Then, there's the Grand Design. Pricey. Yet the "warranty" issues that seem to be a glaring issue in this industry, well, they seems to be less of an issue with Grand Design.

With cost/weight roughly about the same, I'm a little dizzy and I made the mistake of spending the day looking at all these models - again - which only made it worse...short of wandering California, haunting campgrounds and making small talk, y'all are my last hope...

Looking for your educated opinions!

Thanks in advance!
11 REPLIES 11

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
LadyBetamax wrote:
It needs to be safe. It needs to take miles. It has to handle both extremely hot and extremely wet weather. It absolutely can't spend six months of the first year in the shop...Please, I don't want to have to build this thing myself.

The job: Lots of towing back and forth across south and midwest during the spring/summer; around the Pacific Northwest, the West, and the Southwest during the fall/winter. Lots of blue line highways, older RV parks, lots of rest stops. Pitted asphalt. Crumbling roads. Washouts.

For that you need a TT that is durable and that starts with the frame. The vast majority of TTs have a frame made by Lippert. Lance and Jayco use a BAL frame. These don't have any welds to fail and use huck bolts instead. Any of the Northwood's brands, Artic Fox, Nash & Outdoors RV have an in-house built frame that is off-road certified. Lance and Northwood would be ahead of Jayco. Some Lippert frames flex a lot leading to various problems, axles can be under-sized and at risk of getting bent, plastic bushings, shackles.

I could go on for pages, but a few things to look for or upgrade to that come to mind:
Shock absorbers, upraded insulation package, quality ST tires (and with plenty of reserve load capacity) or upgrade to LT tires, large pass-through storage door, double pane (aka thermal pane) windows, arched ceiling, Mor/Ryde or Dexter equalizers and wet bolts, larger AC unit if available (15K vs 13.5K), avoid a 50 amp service, at least 1 Maxxis (or equiv.) power vent with remote & 2 is better.
Add an EMS unit (Progressive Industries and nothing else), get a good WDH with integral sway control, get a TPMS and if the truck doesn't have it, get a good brake controller. Get a 2nd 30 amp shore power cord & generator adapter - pedestals can sometimes be more than 25' away. For winter use, get an electric dehumidifier (moisture can destroy an RV). Low voltage is a common problem - get a permanent voltmeter and highly recommended is a Hughes autoformer. Get a good pressure regulator like Watts 263A. Water filtration would be a good idea but too much detail needed for here.

Make sure your TT can get warranty service work no matter where you are. Sometimes you have to go back to your original dealer. Check into the dealer and factory customer service. Some have terrible reputations and turn your TT into a nightmare. For all the hills and twisty roads you'll be on, I'd suggest HD shocks in the truck as well as getting or adding them to the trailer.

A mobile hotspot like the Verizon 4G mifi is very useful so you can get onto the internet just about anywhere and is great for route planning, checking road conditions, booking a CG and much more... Now that we have added, I'd suggest satellite TV. OTA reception can be spotty or non-existent and CG cable can be awful. A large screen RV GPS is helpful.

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
The Imagine 2150 is an awesome floorplan in my view. One of the roomiest and most ergonomic at that length. Nice big bathroom too. The outside storage doors are huge. That three year warranty sounds great too. One caveat, the bedroom would be inaccessible with the slide in.

Right now these Imagine trailers are at the top of my list.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

fx2tom
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Surveyor (albeit much larger than the 345) and we love it. We have had very few issues and the only time it sat at the dealer was when they were waiting on a new A/C unit (covered under warranty) from Dometic.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Surveyor.
2002 Ford F250 Lariat 7.3l 4x4 CCSB
2007 Forest River Sierra Sport M-26FBSP

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Prior to owning our FW, we owned four TT's and all were of excellent quality - a KIT Sportsmaster, two KIT Companions, and a full timer version Komfort. These are no longer manufactured. Just from reading RV.net and various blogs, I've read that Jayco provides an excellent warranty and stands behind all their products. We have been very, very, pleased with the quality of our current rig. I only mention it because of the manufacturer. Have you thought of a Casita? I follow RVSueandCrew and she is very happy with her Casita as her followers who own the same are. Anyway, here is a link to Roaming Times that provides reviews on various RVs, including TT's. Since Roaming Times's site was skimpy on TT's, I found this one - RV Reviews.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
OK...we have the Minnie 2201DS and we've had it since the fall of 2013 and have put a lot of miles on it. It's a great little trailer. Best features include so much storage in bathroom, outdoor kitchen and so far, overall reliability. We haven't had any major issues. We did replace the seat cushion foam as the original foam wasn't very good for sitting too long. I added a power vent over the bed, and just replaced the bathroom fan with a better one.

But...I've looked online at the Grand Design 2150 and if we had seen it when we were looking, it would have been a contender. I like the sofa type dinette with portable table, larger tanks, heated underbelly. If in looking at them, you can see that the quality is better than the Keystone or Forest River, I would go with it.

If your TV can handle more weight, I would also suggest looking at 4 season trailers from Nash/Arctic Fox or Lance, especially if you want to do any colder weather camping.

Another factor to consider is the dealer as you want to be able to get good and timely service for any issues while under warranty.

Finally, make sure you know the towing capacity of your truck and the limitations of the payload. It's best to really crunch the numbers, but I also subscribe to the idea that you only want to tow 75-80% of the maximum weight capacity. For easy towing, and it looks like you want to do quite a bit of traveling, you don't want to be pushing the limit.
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
Have you looked at Northwood mfg, aka Nash and Arctic Fox? Better built and insulated than most. We had a Surveyor around 2008 and it was a decent unit, however since I understand they have cheapened them e.g. ours had torsion axles like Airstream, but now they have leaf springs.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

LadyBetamax
Explorer
Explorer
Got it: NO DOGS IN TRAILER

LadyBetamax
Explorer
Explorer
Nope, dogs aren't actual cargo - they'd be in the cab/climate controlled camper bed - but I would, essentially, include them in the total weight...

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
NO TO DOGS IN TRAILER. THEY WILL GET HURT!
Even in crates.
Bouncy to the extreme.
I would consider it cruelty ride an animal in a trailer.
Get a friend to drive down the road while you are in a trailer and you will understand immediately.
It is not safe
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

FrankShore
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Lance 1995 and love it. Zero issues and it's built really well. I can't speak about the other candidates since I've never been inside any of them. Oh, by the way Lance has a 2 year warranty, something the other models my not have.
2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In-Burnout-Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G (Great Trailer But Heavy - Traded In)
2018 Lance 1685 w/ Solar & 4 Seasons Package
1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis Yacht
En Norski i en Fransk bรฅt - Dette mรฅ jeg se!

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
Are you intending the dogs as cargo in the trailer?
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...