cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Extra water

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
I want to carry additional water and have been looking at different jugs for doing so: Coleman 5-gal jugs, 20-L NATO plastic jugs, etc. I read that the Reliance jugs are very poor quality.

Any experiences with jug quality, problems, etc?
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2014 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
300W solar, MPPT controller, LED lights
Xantrex Freedom X Inverter 3000W
2 Fullriver 105AH AGM batteries
Air Lift WirelessAIR and air bags
Hankook Dynapro ATM 10-ply tires
31 REPLIES 31

rider997
Explorer
Explorer
Geewizard wrote:
I want to carry additional water and have been looking at different jugs for doing so: Coleman 5-gal jugs, 20-L NATO plastic jugs, etc. I read that the Reliance jugs are very poor quality.

Scepter military water cans are fabulous. Extremely strong and durable, excellent sealing, etc.

The best price I've found:
http://lexingtoncontainercompanysonlinestore.mybigcommerce.com/military-water-can/

Bedlam
Geewizard wrote:
Bedlam wrote:
Hang a RV fresh water tank off the frame just forward of or over the axle and you will be set.

Good idea. What's not shown is a cargo box that goes in the open area between the milk crates. This is where we put the kayak gear.

Have the top of the water tank level with your trailer frame so you can still straddle the frame with your cargo box.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
Photomike wrote:
I used a regular water jug, the round ones for the coolers, and added a pump to it. The great park was that you could put it on a picnic table, it was sealed and after a trip you took it back and got a filled jug.

We have 6 of these for extended trips. I like the ones with the handle built in better, a lot easier to handle. We siphon them into the FW tank or put them in a small dispenser. The only downside is ours don't have a screw down lid. We use multiple squares of Glad press and seal and rubber bands to seal them up tight. Every few years we trade them in for a new set by buying the water once.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

mellow
Explorer
Explorer
Can you put a front mount hitch on your Tundra? I carry a 30 gallon water container on my front racks.

Water container:
2002 F-350 7.3 Lariat 4x4 DRW ZF6
2008 Lance 1191 - 220w of solar - Bring on the sun!

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
Hang a RV fresh water tank off the frame just forward of or over the axle and you will be set.

Good idea. What's not shown is a cargo box that goes in the open area between the milk crates. This is where we put the kayak gear.

Bedlam

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for everyone's input.

Here's my reason for asking. This is a Malone Kayak Trailer and I've added HD plastic milk crates to hold water jugs for longer trips....or anything else I want to haul.

I also mounted my Swift Hitch wireless camera so I can keep an eye on the trailer while towing. The wire is 12vdc coming from the porch light switch.

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
If you run short of water just call me...

my whole camper is a water tank being that it's fiberglass shell
and leaks like h___.
I'll drill a water spigot in the side
and be ready to pull up alongside..

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
RinconVTR wrote:
Geewizard wrote:

I own 5 Reliance 7 gallon water containers and could not be happier.

"Reliance Aqua-Tainer 7 Gallon"

They are very thick, rock solid, and have excellent gaskets. I have no idea what type may have been called poor quality, but its not these!

They are also STACKABLE. Beat that!

Good to hear. I'd rather have the 7 gallon jugs.

Are yours newer or older one? What I read was that the newer ones were made thinner and the seams would split open because of that.

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:
Oh, it's an OUTDOOR shower, so the gray water generated by it doesn't count! Even though it's the exact same composition and makeup as the gray water generated by taking a shower indoors.

I ran into this recently when I set up a sink in the backyard, connected to a garden hose, to rinse produce before bringing it in the hose. A normal thing where I am from, but I was in a city new to me and I got a visit from the building inspector. He claimed my garden hose was 'permanent plumbing' and therefore not ok. $350 fine, no appeal.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

RinconVTR
Explorer
Explorer
Geewizard wrote:

I own 5 Reliance 7 gallon water containers and could not be happier.

"Reliance Aqua-Tainer 7 Gallon"

They are very thick, rock solid, and have excellent gaskets. I have no idea what type may have been called poor quality, but its not these!

They are also STACKABLE. Beat that!

Vinsil
Explorer
Explorer
Have Coleman ones,4 and had the same experience as the other guy. Broken spigot, one leaks past the valve and the other two are just storage so capped. Had them about ten years now so I got my money out of them.
2017 Ford F-350, crewcab, 4x4, 6.7 diesel.
2016 Thunderjet Luxor 21' limited edition, Yamaha powered.
2016 Wolf Creek 840-SOLD, Arctic Fox 990 ordered.

tplife
Explorer
Explorer
We have both the Aquatainer and Reliance models, and prefer the Reliance due to its vertical shape for storage, and no bung valve to go stiff and replace. As a car-camper, I like the Reliance's ability to store behind one of the seatbacks in the Prius...

narcodog
Explorer II
Explorer II
fpoole wrote:
Water in - Water out..

I was also thinking of ADDing a backup water source, but then realized that I'd have to empty it back into a tank, so that means carrying 2 tanks, fresh then grey.

But, I'm not hearing anyone who is ADDing fresh water tanks and also adding a gray water tank. so just what do you all do as the water goes in, to the water coming out...

Or is this a 'Question not asked...'
A White Elephant in the room.

Just a Wandering Mind that Wants to Know...

Thanks..
I just dump gray water in an inconspicuous location.