cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ideas on how to transport generator on rear of Lance camper

omiles
Explorer
Explorer
Hello out there, looking for ideas on how to mount a generator + jerrycans on the rear of my Lance 820 Camper. Any advice/photos would be greatly appreciated! Heading back up to AK at the end of the month and want to bring a gen this time.
20 REPLIES 20

bigfootford
Nomad II
Nomad II
mkirsch wrote:
Respectfully, Wayne, yes they do bounce up and down. They may not "flop around" but they do bounce up and down every time the truck bounces up and down. It may not be visible to the naked eye but there is extra stress being put on the mounts with each and every hoop-de-doo in the road, each and every pothole. It's all about inertia.

If the mounting is not adequate, such as if the generator were strapped directly to the ladder, imperceptible motion would slowly become perceptible motion, then "flopping around" and finally the ladder with generator laying in the middle of the Interstate somewhere.

Uh? With over 100,000 miles on my camper with the generator rack carrying the generator, traveling on 90% back roads, Alaska, Dalton, Dempster etc, rough roads and not one loose bolt I guess the Flopping around is not occurring because my generator is still there.....

Maybe it's not flopping and bouncing up and down because of the bolt that holds the rack to the jack bracket is doing what it was designed to do.

47lbs/ 8 bolts and the loop at the top of the later then mounting on the roof is too much weight for your comfort level on each of those bolts. My roof to ladder bracket's sealant has not cracked and the screws are still tight after the 16 years I have had the camper with all that flopping around going on as you say.

Why do you say "They may not flop around" and then 3 sentences later say, "Flopping around will occur"? Geez
2000 2500 9.6 Bigfoot,94 F250, Vision 19.5, Bilstein shocks, air bags/pump, EU2000, PD 9260, Two Redodo 100ah Mini's, Aims 2500 Conv/Inv, 200W. solar, Morningstar Sunsaver 15A/ display panel, Delorme/laptop for travel, Wave-3 heat.

bigfootford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Post deleted by Bigfootford due to rv.net edit problems.

Jim
2000 2500 9.6 Bigfoot,94 F250, Vision 19.5, Bilstein shocks, air bags/pump, EU2000, PD 9260, Two Redodo 100ah Mini's, Aims 2500 Conv/Inv, 200W. solar, Morningstar Sunsaver 15A/ display panel, Delorme/laptop for travel, Wave-3 heat.

Reddog1
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch, I see your post as simply being argumentative.

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Respectfully, Wayne, yes they do bounce up and down. They may not "flop around" but they do bounce up and down every time the truck bounces up and down. It may not be visible to the naked eye but there is extra stress being put on the mounts with each and every hoop-de-doo in the road, each and every pothole. It's all about inertia.

If the mounting is not adequate, such as if the generator were strapped directly to the ladder, imperceptible motion would slowly become perceptible motion, then "flopping around" and finally the ladder with generator laying in the middle of the Interstate somewhere.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

bigfootford
Nomad II
Nomad II
My ladder has 8 bolts holding it to the side of the camper....
The ladder tubing is bent at the top and curves 180 deg and mounts on the top of the camper.
Any downward pressure, climbing on the ladder or static weight is distributed through those bolts and the tubing of the ladder. I have no doubt that there is enough strength to accomplish carrying the 3000.

Mind is a bit different that Wayne's. The drivers corner of the rack frame is anchored to the jack bracket. So at least 1/4 of the weight is supported there in that corner. Anchoring the rack there also creates a firm hold on the rack so there is absolutely no left right movement nor any up down movement in that corner, that could be detrimental to the ladder bolts..

Wayne's Rack is what he calls REV 3.... He added the angled tubing that you can see to have the outside/rear, passenger side of the rack secured there and to the jack bracket so there is no up down flexing of the rack to the ladder bolts as mine was done.

This is not a low skill fabrication project.

Wayne is a great fabricator and welder...

Jim

Reddog1
Explorer
Explorer
omiles wrote:
@phil good question, I have a Briggs & Stratton p3000, similar wight to the Honda 3000. Not sure that would support the 85 lbs...
I think if you use the Jack mounts as I did, you would have no problem. The jack mounts support well over 50% of the weight. Without the stabilizing braces to my ladder, my Honda is totally supported by the jack mounts. It will have the tendency to move side to side, that is why I installed the ladder brace.

I respectfully think you guys are overthinking this. I weigh about 290 pounds, and I climb my ladder with the gas and Honda mounted. Never a problem. The gas or Honda do not bounce up and down. Plus the fact, The Honda has over 50% if not all of its weight on the jack mounts. The jack mounts are strong enough to raise the rear of your 4000 lb TC.

1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II

I had a basket custom made for my old one, that attached to the left camper jack tube in three spots.

Other than a poor initial choice in clamps, it worked well for over 10,000 miles across the country.

Sadly, it won't fit on the Amerigo, so unless I find a new use, it'll likely go with the KIT when its sold.
My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

omiles
Explorer
Explorer
@phil good question, I have a Briggs & Stratton p3000, similar wight to the Honda 3000. Not sure that would support the 85 lbs...

meleavingsoon
Explorer
Explorer
Do you think a Honda 3000 could be installed in a similar fashion?...or is that too much weight?
2000 American Coach 45' Heritage

bigfootford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Here is another version of Reddog1's design... He did the fabrication I was the helper...

This design/concept has traveled about 100,000 miles to Prudhoe Bay, across the USA 2 times and it has never come loose or offered any doubt about it's strength.
If I need to get up on the roof via the ladder I use the rack as a step with the gen still on it... 50lbs for the honda and 200 for me...

Link for the thread:

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/22141035.cfm

omiles
Explorer
Explorer
@Reddog1 Thanks so much for this! Truly appreciate it!

Reddog1
Explorer
Explorer
These photos may give you more details. Over half of the Honda's weight is on the TC jack mounting bracket. Using the jack mounting bracket mounts, I can use this setup with or without my Stable Lift.

omiles
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all!

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Reddog1's setup is in the link that was added, but here's a photo from that thread.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member