Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

F-150 Ecoboost Milestone

Fordlover
Explorer
Explorer
link to story

"Ford introduced the F150 with the high tech EcoBoost V6 engine for the 2011 model year with quite a bit of skepticism, but those naysayers have been proven to be very, very wrong as the Motor Company has sold more than a half million F150 pickups powered by the EcoBoost V6 in just over three years"

500,000 Eco F-150's in ~3 years, impressive.
2016 Skyline Layton Javelin 285BH
2018 F-250 Lariat Crew 6.2 Gas 4x4 FX4 4.30 Gear
2007 Infiniti G35 Sport 6 speed daily driver
Retired 2002 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8 4x4
Sold 2007 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST19CK
51 REPLIES 51

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
v10superduty wrote:
mich800 wrote:
v10superduty wrote:
mich800 wrote:

That is a valid point. I still don't have a car because I just am not sure this whole horseless carriage fad will last. But I have got into some pretty heated debates about my horse. I have a tall Thoroughbred and a friend has a work horse with short legs. He says his can pull more because his has more torque due to the shorter legs and torque does the work but I maintain we both have one horsepower so it does not matter.

Confused as to why this is quoted to my post?
:h
I get the satire but not the connection to this particular post.
Call me dumb I guess.. :@ :@ :@

It relates to being afraid of new technology. I.E. wait until they have 200k, 300k...or more miles before they believe.

OK, you turned on the light for me
Thanks. 😉

However for M V, I think he was so sure the EB would be problematical that he keeps backing himself into a corner by coming out with a new "just wait period" as the EB passes his predicted problems period "without" major problems.

To say that ecoboost passed a problem period without any major problems is a BIG stretch. Happy people usually don't sue their auto makers.

Make that a HUGE stretch!

This guy did not pass his problem period! :E
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

v10superduty
Explorer
Explorer
mich800 wrote:
v10superduty wrote:
mich800 wrote:

That is a valid point. I still don't have a car because I just am not sure this whole horseless carriage fad will last. But I have got into some pretty heated debates about my horse. I have a tall Thoroughbred and a friend has a work horse with short legs. He says his can pull more because his has more torque due to the shorter legs and torque does the work but I maintain we both have one horsepower so it does not matter.

It relates to being afraid of new technology. I.E. wait until they have 200k, 300k...or more miles before they believe.

OK, you turned on the light for me
Thanks. 😉

However for M V, I think he was so sure the EB would be problematical that he keeps backing himself into a corner by coming out with a new "just wait period" as the EB passes his predicted problems period "without" major problems.
2000 F250 V10 dragin a 2005 Titanium 29E34RL

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
v10superduty wrote:
mich800 wrote:

v10superduty
Explorer
Explorer
mich800 wrote:

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
v10superduty wrote:
MARK VANDERBENT wrote:
Now lets see those babys after 200,000 miles. There is no doubt they are good fast motors, but my small block chevys, one with 200,000 and one with 280,000 keep working hard, and are very low maintenance. Time will tell when there are a bunch with high miles out there, then I could jump on the band wagon.

Mark..Mark.. It never ends with you.
I am not going to search, but know for sure a few years back when the EB came out you said something like
"wait a year a lets see how these are then !! "

When they made a year without all of them puking their guts on the pavement it was something like
"wait till these thing s start hitting 100,000 mile !! "

And now its this "Lets see 200,000 miles.." :W

But I really find this statement weird..
"then I could jump on the band wagon"
If you are suggesting you may consider driving a Ford EcoBoost if they all manage to hit 200,000 trouble free miles I would have to say I really don't expect that will happen.

You driving a Ford I mean..:B

I used my special stealth version of Google Earth that can see inside your house and I even spotted your GM branded boxers in your underwear drawer below the big GM poster on the wall, all under the sign painted on your roof that says "ONLY GM vehicle allowed here" :@

No, don't think a Ford is in your future really.

v10superduty
Explorer
Explorer
MARK VANDERBENT wrote:
Now lets see those babys after 200,000 miles. There is no doubt they are good fast motors, but my small block chevys, one with 200,000 and one with 280,000 keep working hard, and are very low maintenance. Time will tell when there are a bunch with high miles out there, then I could jump on the band wagon.

Mark..Mark.. It never ends with you.
I am not going to search, but know for sure a few years back when the EB came out you said something like
"wait a year a lets see how these are then !! "

When they made a year without all of them puking their guts on the pavement it was something like
"wait till these thing s start hitting 100,000 mile !! "

And now its this "Lets see 200,000 miles.." :W

But I really find this statement weird..
"then I could jump on the band wagon"
If you are suggesting you may consider driving a Ford EcoBoost if they all manage to hit 200,000 trouble free miles I would have to say I really don't expect that will happen.

You driving a Ford I mean..:B

I used my special stealth version of Google Earth that can see inside your house and I even spotted your GM branded boxers in your underwear drawer below the big GM poster on the wall, all under the sign painted on your roof that says "ONLY GM vehicle allowed here" :@

No, don't think a Ford is in your future really.

EcoBullet
Explorer
Explorer
Crazy4gsds wrote:
Surprisingly, towing MPG is very good at about 13 MPG so I'm not complaining about that.

That IS surprising. I think I would have to always go downhill with a tailwind to get that good with mine. But, I love it anyway! Smooth, quiet, powerful...
Me 1954, Nana 1954, Grandson 2003, Granddaughters 2005 & 2008
2014 Keystone Bullet Premier 22RBPR
2013 F-150 XLT Supercrew 4X4 Ecoboost Max Tow

Crazy4gsds
Explorer
Explorer
We've had ours for almost 2 years now and it has been a much more pleasant towing experience. Surprisingly, towing MPG is very good at about 13 MPG so I'm not complaining about that. Every day driving (not interstate) is another matter and no where near close to what the sticker said. Actually, it's only a few MPG's higher than towing. Huh?!?!

Perhaps our 2012 was the year the EPA got after Ford on their overstated MPG and we're really in line with the MPG. In stop and go traffic the MPG is really closer to what we got with our previous TV (Chevy Avalanche which was a V8). Come to think of it...I think the Avalanche probably did better around town.
2011 CruiserRV Viewfinder 27RBSS
2012 Ford F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew EcoBoost
Frannie our dark sable German Shepherd furkid
Fritz our red sable German Shepherd Dog gone but never forgotten
Darby our black/tan German Shepherd Dog gone but never forgotten

Hybridhunter
Explorer
Explorer
parkersdad wrote:
Also with the diesel you have a Jake break. We came down out of Boone North Carolina last weekend and didn't have to touch anything but the gas pedal to get going again. The Jake brake slowed me down so much I had to keep getting into the gas to get going. The point I am trying to make is I would rather not use my transmission all. I like the airbrake to keep my transmission nice and cool

Major technology misunderstanding here.
A "jake brake" is just an engine retarder brake. It still uses the transmission, more so than just ordinary engine braking.
And as mentioned, the throttle on a gas engine operates to the same effect.
An "air brake" is something your truck does not have.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_brake_(aircraft)

timskiwannacamp
Explorer
Explorer
Came from the dark side (Chevy 2500) to EB. Towed our TT (7,200 lbs.) on 1st trip last weekend and became a believer. Took mountains, rolling hills, 4-lane, 2-lane, all in stride. Had to keep looking in the rear view to make sure TT was still there! No problems with power or braking.

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Been an avid Chevy truck man for a very long time "37yrs" and currently looking hard at the EB. Yup...just might 🙂

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
Turtle n Peeps wrote:

The EB already has an exhaust brake; it just on the other end of things. It's called a throttle plate. 🙂

Well, I'm admittedly a dummy about these things. All I know is that some diesels have a switch that allows you to activate an "exhaust brake" which I *think* increases the exhaust back pressure by throwing a valve downstream of the turbo. Or maybe the turbo vanes are moved somehow.

Anyway, as I understand it, an exhaust brake on Diesels has more to do with the turbo part than the diesel part. So why not on the Ecoboost? Sure could use it. Or maybe somebody has already come up with a mod ??
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
brulaz wrote:
Jake brakes are a bit complicated and noisy for my tastes. But maybe an exhaust brake downstream of the turbo would help the Ecoboost. Dunno much about them though.

Not that worried about tranny heat as it's locked in gear, not using the converter where most of the heat gets generated.

The EB already has an exhaust brake; it just on the other end of things. It's called a throttle plate. 🙂
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
pappcam wrote:

Did you have Tow/Haul mode on? I had my combo below in the Black Hills of SD and I had no problems on long inclines or declines. The tranny should be slowing the truck down in Tow/Haul mode and you shouldn't need to be on the brakes constantly.

Tow/haul? Not good enough. I had it Manual, 2nd gear.

Like I said, it ran up to 40mph in 2nd between the 20mph hairpin turns. And I needed the brakes to get it back down to 20 mph. 1st was too low, would red-line at 20mph. My foot was never near the throttle,

Again, like I said, not all hills are the same. I'm told the average percent slope on this one is only 5%, but it's narrow (35 mph max) with many 20 mph hairpins.
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow