cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

F-350 360 degree camera system ? (custom ordered 2020)

LosAngeles
Explorer
Explorer
F-350 360 degree camera system question (custom ordered 2020)

I’m about to custom order a 2020 Lariat F350 - crew cab, 8’ bed.

We will *never* tow. We hate towing. 😛

We also keep our vehicles for a really long time, so resale isn’t really an issue.:)

There will always be a 9.5’ pop up truck camper in the bed. Tailgate will be permanently removed. Camper will hang out 18” approx.

So do I want to spend the $$$ to get the 360 camera system?

How useful is it?
Or will just using my mirrors + a backup camera be enough?
I’ll be driving alone quite a bit, so without a person who could hop out and be a spotter.

I am on the fence about adding the $710 ULTIMATE TRAILER TOW CAMERA SYSTEM to get the 360 degree camera system.

I have a couple of options:

OPTION A) (works only as a backup camera)

I could get a “tailgate” relocate external camera, and mount it low down on the rear of the camper, and plug it into the plug where the tailgate camera was plugged. No soldering. Here is an example camera. NOTE - this camera is NOT compatible with 360 camera system.

https://camera-source.com/automotive-cams/ford-oe-fit/add-on-universal-cam-for-trucks-w-factory-camera-8-display.html

OPTION B) is to get the $710 ULTIMATE TRAILER TOW CAMERA SYSTEM to get the 360 degree camera system….
then add the $415 Camera Source (ROSTRA)
“2017+ Super Duty W/ 360 View-Relocation Kit -Camera Included” (plug and play)

https://camera-source.com/automotive-cams/ford-oe-fit/2017-super-duty-w-360-view-relocation-kit-camera-included.html

Thoughts?

Thanks! 😉
11 REPLIES 11

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I heard that in newer cars computer will turn side camera on when you turn the blinker - for extra safety. Curious if Ford is up to date on this?

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
My opinion .... which doesn't matter much ... especially here since I don't have a TC, but towing a behemoth 5er ..... get the system. I'm ALL for safety, and ANYTHING you can do to make your driving experience safer .... well .... that's better for me, being the guy on the road next to you in traffic. Your eyes on ME helps ME avoid accidents too!

Get the system. I'm sure you'll love it once you get it. We got the Furrion Observation-back-up monitor system on the back of our 5er. I did not get all the side monitors, but just adding that one camera has made my driving experience much, much better. I'm really contemplating the side monitors now.... seriously considering them now.

JD5150
Explorer
Explorer
I bought off the dealer lot the 2017 F350 XL with no cameras. I installed a piece of junk wireless rear camera.

Only money and you can't take it with you when you die. May as well enjoy the benefits of making life easier while being here.

You say that you keep your vehicle's for a long time. Lets say 18 years.
It cost you a whopping $3.24 a month to have it :). If you drove it everyday for the 18 years you got to enjoy 6570 times of having it :).
If you die anytime in these 18 years it's still not a waste because another one of your family members takes over where you left off. I bet they think to themselves..I'm glad he bought this camera system because it makes driving this beast a pleasure 🙂

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have it and it is priceless for me.
The truck has rear bumper sensor, but nothing up front and even mine is RWD, the hood is very tall and numerous times, before I learn to trust the camera, I was stopping 20" before the wall.
Since I park my TC on 90 degree turn, without camera I would have to make 6-point turn to get out with my truck. Thanks to the camera it can be 2-point.
The same when I took empty truck downtown Atlanta.
They had car parking only where I wanted to park, so I had to zigzag between posts and other cars.
Takes 1 avoided fender bend to recover invested $700
And yes, I relocated my tailgate camera on camper ladder.
You loose some perspective, but that was never too good originally, than you do see what's behind you and what's around you in 360 view.

swines
Explorer
Explorer
With my 2019 F350, I have described how the system works by stitching the cameras around a graphically generated vehicle.

And pardon me all to hell for attempting to make a useful post. Yes, with the camera system there is an additional camera connection available at the rear of the truck. It is hidden above the spare tire on the passenger's side of the truck. It is an extra camera port meant for use with a trailer camera. When you select the camera icon on the LCD screen, you have an additional camera icon available for that camera. As you have pointed out, there are systems available that will trick the 360 degree system into using the additional camera in place of the tailgate camera.

The question would be - how does the system deal with a different camera location and field-of-view when it attempts to add that camera to the 360 degree view?

LosAngeles
Explorer
Explorer
swines wrote:
It won't do you any good with a truck camper if you take off the tailgate. The system uses the front camera, side cameras located under each of the side mirrors, and the rear camera located in the tailgate to generate the 360 degree view. The system generates a graphic "truck" that it places in the center of the cameras that are stitched around the graphic truck to make the 360 degree view. As soon as you take off the tailgate, the system no longer generates a 360 degree view as the rear camera is missing.

Incorrect.

Check out the info at the link.

🙂

And I quote from my original post

“... add the $415 Camera Source (ROSTRA)
“2017+ Super Duty W/ 360 View-Relocation Kit -Camera Included” (plug and play)

https://camera-source.com/automotive-cams/ford-oe-fit/2017-super-duty-w-360-view-relocation-kit-camera-included.html

swines
Explorer
Explorer
It won't do you any good with a truck camper if you take off the tailgate. The system uses the front camera, side cameras located under each of the side mirrors, and the rear camera located in the tailgate to generate the 360 degree view. The system generates a graphic "truck" that it places in the center of the cameras that are stitched around the graphic truck to make the 360 degree view. As soon as you take off the tailgate, the system no longer generates a 360 degree view as the rear camera is missing.

With my 2019 F350, the 360 degree view is only available when the truck is in reverse. It's meant to be used to check your distance from other vehicles when parking and if you're centered in a parking space.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Now both options are covered.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
No you should not get it.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Yes you should get it.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Not sure why you need it. You are basically driving a pickup. Unless you plan death defying moves/lane changes or plan to ignore what's going on, that is. But hey didn’t you want the the lane protection stuff, so maybe it’s worth it to you to see who is in the lane before you cut them off. 😄

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member