cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fair price for tt?

centracom
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking at a new travel trailer. I am being kinda picky with what I want. After owning my first travel trailer for 7 years, I have became way more knowledgeable in what my needs and wants for a new trailer are.I have narrowed my search down to a couple of units. I went and looked at a new 2016 Flagstaff V Lite 30Wrliks. I really like the quality and finished product of this trailer. I told the sales manager I am not in a rush to buy. I let him know that a better deal later is worth more to me than paying more today. Myself and the salesman spoke briefly and I asked him to give me his best price. Of course he left and went to talk to the sales manager and came back with a price. He told me the msrp is $42,592. The best he could do is $30,995. I asked him if this was the best he could do. He said yes. I said if I was still interested I would be back in contact, or if he could do better to please give me a call. I left the dealership.

I feel like I did not get a fair price on my first travel trailer. With that said I must not have worked hard enough for it. Fair to say? When you are new to RV'ing I know the sales department could see me walking in from a mile away.

What do think about the trailer im currently looking at. Is their price fair or can I do better?
http://www.daviscampersalesinc.com/specifications.asp?StockNos=0088
2012 Ford F150 5.0 "BUILT FORD TOUGH"
2011 Jayco JayFeather 242

""fast cars N' mason jars""
8 REPLIES 8

summitpower
Explorer
Explorer
Your getting great advice on here, I just went thru same thing this week, I tend to overthink things, and after hearing from several people on here if your happy with price and like the unit, then you got a good price, in my case MSRP was 45k and I paid 33k otd and that included sales tax, license, fees, 7yr extended warranty and the interior and exterior protection stuff. I felt like I got a good deal when all was said and done.

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
We just bought a new 37 foot Forest River Wildwood.
the MSRP was something like 35,000.
The salesman said he could get the price down to 27,000.

That night we sat down and decided that our highest price would be 25,000.
The next day we went back and asked what his lowest price would be, and he said I told you 27,000. We said that was way too high and he wanted to know what we thought the price would be.
We told him 22,000, and he said that was too low, he could come down to 26,000.
We said that was too high and offered to come up to 23,000.

After more dickering and him going back and forth to the owner, we ended up with a final sale price out the door of 24,500.

I was surprised at how much leeway they had to dicker with.
We were happy and he was happy

I think you can get your dealer to come way down a lot more.

jack L
Jack & Nanci

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
drsben1 has it right....

Our Outback listed at $35,000. They gave us $8,000 in trade on our old trailer. They gave us a discount of some kind. Then they added on delivery charges, prep charges, Route 66 Road Side assistance, extended warranty, TAX, and title and temp license plate fees ... you guess it, the price out the door was $35,000. We were still pleased. (BUT!!! The back still gave us financing!)

JFNM
Explorer
Explorer
Excellent advice from darsben1!!
JD - Full timer out west
1998 MCI 102-EL3 Revolution | 2010 Wrangler (daJeep) | 1.7kW Solar - 10kWh Lithium
My Adventures

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
You have gotten some good advice so far. A salesperson never gives you their bottom line the first time. There's still room for more. Decide what your out the door price is going to be, stick to it and walk if you have to.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
You are not at a dealer to bargain.
You should proceed as follows; You need to be thinking out the door price not what the dealer tells you. He will have a million add-ons after you negotiate and in your mind you have already said "yes"
Put your name, address and phone number on a card. Go back to the dealer state the following.
"I want to buy this rig. My offer is $30,000 out the door no add-ons. My price includes tax, state fees and registration and any dealer prep or other add-ons you dream up. I am not here to dicker I am here to buy and am willing to give you a deposit and pay the balance after MY PREDELIVERY IINSPECTION finds all is good. I will not take delivery until all systems are working nor will I pay you until all systems work.

If they say yes and you need to finance (which you should do before shopping) then you say the following
"I have financed my purchase through _____________ at an APR of ______% for _____ months. If you can beat that I will allow you the to place the financing for me.

BE CAREFUL as I have seen salesmen change the terms after the first signing with various ruses. MAKE SURE YOU THOROUGHLY read every document BEFORE SIGNING. Do not believe the salesman. He IS NOT your friend. You are how he feeds his family and they want Filet Mignon make sure they are not tricking you up from ground beef.
Do a thorough pre-delivery before signing for the rig and make sure they plug in the fridge 24 hours before the inspection and fill the water tank/hot water heater. I am serious if you show up and it is not done reschedule and TELL THEM WHY.
You are not there to be nice. As the saying goes "Its just business"
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

RavensFan24
Explorer
Explorer
I did a quick search and found this trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GF7ZNerhFx0 It's listed at $29,900

When I bought mine I did a ton of research and sent the dealer all the list prices for the same model with the same features (or at least close enough) and told them they need to beat the best price....they did.
2010 Chevy Tahoe & 2015 Keystone Bullet Premier 30'

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
Sales teams will always start high using the MSRP as a bargaining chip. "Look we knocked $12,000 off the MSRP" Sales people have a 5 "no" rule. Until the prospective buyer says no five times there's a chance they will buy.

You have to make an offer before they will come down.

Do some research by looking on RVTrader.com to see what other dealers are offering the same model for. Then look for used ones and see what they are going for. Set a price that you can live with and then make a much lower offer to the dealer. Let them come down to your "live with price". Don't tell them what it is work at getting them down and use the 5 No rule on them. Once they get close to your price and it looks like they won't go any lower then try to get stuff thrown in....window awnings, patio mat, upgrade TV, leveling blocks....etc.