cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Filling Propane While Traveling

1ed
Explorer
Explorer
Where do you fill propane while traveling?
I know a lot of campgrounds will have someone that is mobile and can come to your site, but what if you are going boodocking.
The company that fills my house tank use to do but now they have a new truck and something to do with increased pressure.
My tank are 30 pounds so not that easy to move around. Ed
35 REPLIES 35

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Truck stops, RV dealers, Tractor Supply and many other locations.

Boondocking involves extra time/travel so not to likely. But Quartzsite with it's large numbers of boondocking RVs has mobile just about everything.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Explorer II
Explorer II
I type in 'Propane near me' in Google Maps for Android on my cell phone. Works every time
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
Some U Haul locations also refill propane. RV Dealerships do too.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

Hondavalk
Explorer
Explorer
dblr wrote:
Tractor Supply if one nearby plus they charge by the gallon so only pay for what you are getting and they usually seem to be the lowest price around.

X2

dblr
Explorer
Explorer
Tractor Supply if one nearby plus they charge by the gallon so only pay for what you are getting and they usually seem to be the lowest price around.
2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB
2001 Kenworth T2000
2009 Smart on the deck.

rockylarson
Explorer
Explorer
Flying J
Tractor Supply
Many Rural Hardware/Farm supply
Jan and Rocky
Volunteers for USFWS. 29 refuges with 9300 hrs ea since 2006. 2004 Allegro 30DA, Workhorse 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty Jet, Blue Ox Aladdin, Brake Buddy Advantage Select, 300 watts solar, 5 Optima group 31 AGM's, 2000watt Ames PSW inverter.

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
I use the local ACE Hardware, but another retailer most dont think of is Tractor Supply as do many farm stores.

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Before I got the RV I car camped with the van. I was a bit paranoid about traveling long distance with full cylinders in the passenger compartment so I would empty them and then use the amerigas website to find a location that did propane filling near my destination.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Most of the rental places (as in equipment rental) have the ability to fill. Ace Hardware as well.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
If I am on the move , I just pull into a place that fills propane. Often they call fill it on the TT, just like a motorhome with built in tanks.

If I am stationary, and it is a cold weather trip, I bring extra tanks.

I just returned from the Utah mountains. 2 weeks with temps into the single digits. I brought 5 extra propane tanks, and still had to make a run into town to refill them.
Also, when stationary, I will use some 20# tanks. I just set them in the tray and hook them up. The advantage is that sometimes the closest propane is an exchange seller.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
1ed wrote:
Where do you fill propane while traveling?
I know a lot of campgrounds will have someone that is mobile and can come to your site, but what if you are going boodocking.
The company that fills my house tank use to do but now they have a new truck and something to do with increased pressure.
My tank are 30 pounds so not that easy to move around. Ed

Down load an application from the Apple computer store. Its free. Type in the word propane and it give you all the places that sell propane around where you are located.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
1ed wrote:
My tanks are 30 pounds and weigh 55 pounds when full. All of the exchange places in my area ONLY swap the 20 pound tanks. Hence the question.
30 pound exchange is very rare. You need to look for a bulk tank and have yours refilled.

salem
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW, those plastic milk crates are great for hauling propane bottles. You don't have to tie them down so they don't roll around in the back of your truck.

1ed
Explorer
Explorer
New 2020 Rockwood comes with 30 pound standard.

OleManOleCan
Explorer
Explorer
rbpru wrote:
My tank are a few years old and I take them to my propane dealer in town. If I run out on the road, I swap them out for the best looking tanks at the local gas station LP exchange. If they were new tanks I probably would not do that.

I do carry a extra tank in a milk crate secured in the truck bed.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When we go camping I put two full 20# tanks on and carry an additional 20 in the bed of my truck.
The extra 20 usually powers one of my Blackstone Griddles or a single burner
for Low Country Boils.
I'd rather have a half dozen 20s rather than 30s.
Easier to carry, easier to trade out when the Expiration date is coming up,
And our local garbage men pick up lots of them on the curb.
A case of beer and I can pick thru them for the best 4 tanks.
Yep I bribe civil employees... I'm a retired LEO.
I'm a little low on scruples since I retired...