cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

First 4 months observations and ramblings

Rthomas61
Explorer
Explorer
I can't believe the summer is almost over! Figured I might share some observations.

First a little background. I live in Mass and have been a seasonal camper in Bourne, MA. I can look out my window and see the Cape Cod Canal. It's great! I went from a tent to a pop-up to a new 2013 KZ Sportsmen Show Stopper 28" bunkhouse. Quite a step up over the years but possibly a mistake. See I used to fish the Cape Cod Canal every waking moment...hence the seasonal site. It was easy to wake up at 0300, roll out of the bare minimum pop-up and get fishing. Not so much now. It's raining? I'm sleeping in and watching cable TV. Hot? A/C...cold? Heat? See where I'm going with this??

I have 2 kids...8 year old boy and 5 year old girl...oh yea, a wife and dog too. Can't forget them! She's a teacher's aide so has summers off. Guess where she stays now! It's about 1 1/2 hours away from home so it's kind of nice for me (don't tell her!!) but far enough away to get away from the riggors of work!

So this year I dragged the new rig down and set it up. Everyone was quick to give me pointers...like unhitch before trying to drive away. Yeah...that. I just wanted to move it a little more ๐Ÿ˜‰

I am still learning a lot...like

1. The freezer really builds up frost in the summer mugginess and heat
2. Make sure to cover the whole house filter outside or algae will bloom
3. Emptying the black tank into the honey wagon and then dumping it isn't as bad as I thought!
4. The family is spending more time than I am down there!
5. The more I'm down there, the more I find I need....grill, shed, bike locks, canoe....uggh
6. Maintaining and keeping up with the rig is a little tedious and time consuming. I'm meticulous and the rig is under pine trees. No fun but worth it
7. I'm learning more and more as I go along
8. Might be time to look for a new truck that can handle the rig comfortably. The 2003 Trailblazer is pretty much maxed out.
9. The most important of all is this. THIS FORUM IS INVALUABLE! I keep reading and learning from everyone on this forum and thank you....one & all!

My season is half over (We have to pull out in October). I can't believe it. Still learning and having fun doing it.

So far, I can honestly say that the KZ is holding up fantastic. Granted it hasn't had a big test or anything but everything is holding out better than expected. It seems like a good quality trailer and well worth the price! Plenty of room, easy to maintain and very comfortable!

I'm not looking forward to the impending snow around the corner (it was down to 46 degrees here last night...BRRRR!!!) so I'm hoping summer drags along until December!

Thank you all for the great insight, trick & tips and general fun reading!

Stay safe and happy camping!!
Bob
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab 6.0 V8
2013 KZ Sportsmen 280BH Show Stopper
5 REPLIES 5

flylipsdaddy
Explorer
Explorer
Be careful drivin back after a great summer - You just might be "Overweight".

2edgesword
Explorer
Explorer
We're relatively new to RVing (purchased our first TT last year, KZ Spree Escape) and since my wife is a school nurse our plan was that I'd save most of my vacation time so that we could take off and camp locally every other week during the summer. We did take a trip from NY to FL in April (Ft. Wilderness campground) but beyond that we've stuck to our plan of taking short local trips about every other week during the Summer. It's been great.

But no talk of Summer being over. I've still got three trips planned before she heads back to school :).

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
For you, Summer is zipping right on by. For me, it's dragging oh-so-slooooowwwwwlllllyyyy. I'm going to retire in December, and hit the road semi full time next year. I feel like a kid waiting on Christmas. It will never get here.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like you're having a ball!

Per item #5 on your list- hope everything you're hauling up there one trip at a time doesn't have to come home in October, too...at least in one trip. I have some friends who used a seasonal for the first time last year, and they SWORE that the truck/trailer must have had gotten smaller by the time they pulled out in the fall. :B
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

rightlaneonly
Explorer
Explorer
I'm with you, where did the summer go. Not lucky enough to spend most of it in an area like you are but have had some good camping trips close to home. Enjoy yourself and oh yeah ------fish more;)
Lee & Jane
Ford died once to often.
Replaced with 2019 GMC Canyon
Aliner, soon to be gone.