cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First look at travel trailers today at Camping World

breeves2245
Explorer
Explorer
Looking to buy a travel trailer and was thinking 16-18ft would be about right. Just me, so only need one bed.

Never stepped foot inside of a travel trailer so I had no idea how it "felt" inside in terms of roominess, etc. Went to Camping World at lunch today for a quick look see.

The 16/17/18 were fine but the 23ft felt exponentially larger and felt more livable.

I can figure which layout makes sense for me based on how I will be using it, but what I can't know is how much different does a 23ft 4,200lb trailer with twin axles tow vs a 17ft 3,000lb single axle. Have a 1/2 ton Silverado with towing package, so no concern there either way with 8,200 lbs towing capacity and 1,000 tongue weight.

I gravitate to the smaller ones because I envision it being so much more nimble to tow and get in/out of gas stations, etc.

If I had to buy today, it would be a 17ft Casita/Scamp/Escape. None of which were at Camping World.
26 REPLIES 26

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Add 5 ft as a start.

It is crazy how small our 31 ft TT felt after three days of rain.

Towing a small trailer is slightly more nimble in a gas station but it’s not unbearable by any means to tow a larger one. You get use to the size pretty quick.

Remember when towing in tight spaces it’s all about the set up. Take up as much room as you need and think about your exits.

Regardless of the trailer you choose figure 8 mpg while towing to estimate your gas stops and then look on Google Maps at the satellite view along your planned route. Find gas stations that look like they will accommodate your rig.

Typically the Flying J, Pilots, and some T/A’s work great for TT’s. (Not the T/A or Loves south of Atlanta ... those two are ROUGH for trailers... IMHO.

But seriously, look at the largest trailer you envision for your use. Just know that for most of us, it’s about 5 ft too short on our first trailer.

Camping Worlds vary... some are great some are not. It depends on the people running the store.

JMHO based on experience.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Delete

breeves2245
Explorer
Explorer
I did look at Bigfoot and Oliver. That is a completely different price range. If this was my second purchase and I felt real sure about what I wanted, I would not be hesitant to upgrade. I watched some YouTube production videos, both impressive.

Whatever I get, I want to be able to sell without too much of a hit. One more reason to lean toward the fiberglass rv's.

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
Friends don't let friends buy from Camping World.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Look for a Bigfoot trailer. Their larger, well built.

breeves2245
Explorer
Explorer
I have the 5.3 with 3.73 rear end. So no issue.

I will be buying used as suggested above. I have not doubt I will not make the best decision on the first try. I am leaning toward the fiberglass trailers (Scamp/Escape/Casita) to hopefully have a better chance of avoiding water damage on a used unit.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
What motor does your Silverado have? If you have a 5.3L OK, if you have the tiny V6, then your not going to be happy long term. You might actually be happier with a short class C or a class B motor home for ease of driving, backing, parking for a single person.

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Buy a two axle unit and a used one. It seems most people go through three RVs before they find the one they really like.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

George3037
Explorer
Explorer
I agree that for your first TT you should look at used. Most new buyers find that during the first year they figure out numerous things they don't like about the TT and usually trade it in on a different model so they take a big financial hit. Buying used you can usually find a reasonably priced trailer, try it for a year and if you decide to sell you don't lose that much of the initial investment.

Since you are by yourself or even if you have a partner you probably don't need a trailer with bunks. Single or double axle and length will depend on what you like for living space. By staying under 5000 lb. as you mention, your 1/2T will be plenty and haul it without problem.

I would suggest you get a weight distribution hitch with sway control and learn how to use it properly.

When buying used, inspect the TT for any signs of water damage, make sure everything works, check the tires for age, sidewall cracking, battery, any damage, age of propane tanks, They will eventually need to be tested and recertified but not too expensive. If unsure what to look for take a friend or TT mechanic who is. Buying something that needs a lot of repairs can be a bad experience for a new camper.

I hope you enjoy your new to you trailer experience

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
My first trailer was a 17' hybrid (the kind where the tents pop out of the ends) single axle. Second was a 24' double axle. Honestly there's really no difference in towing. Other than the 24 being easier to back up (less responsive, didn't jackknife as quick). The 24 cut the corners a touch more, but nothing to worry about. Either way you need to pay attention entering parking lots and gas stations.

For myself, even if travelling solo I would absolutely positively require a permanent bed, and a couch. Beyond that, I'm flexible. :B

But generally speaking, larger will give you larger fresh and grey tanks too, which is nice especially on the smaller units that are more likely to be taken to remote areas.
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
You haven't looked at enough RVs to make any decision...I'll start there. Next is do you have a tow vehicle or are you going to buy a tow vehicle? Hopefully, you'll buy or select the trailer first and then match a TV to it. If you have a TV already you are limited to its max towing weight and PAYLOAD. Next you have not revealed the type of camping you want to do...RV parks? Dry camping/boondocking? I believe a bunch of reading should be in your immediate future.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
It all depends on what you want. To most folks floor plan and comfort are top priority. Of course what your going to tow with should play into the mix. The weights you mentioned I would bet are terms like "dry" or "shipping", are what you mentioned and are totally useless. Look in the street side front corner for a tag that will give you the trailers GVWR and base your tow vehicle on that number. At least doing that you wont go wrong.
The differwnce between a 18 foot and a 23 foot trailer is nothing towing, not much backing, and a world of difference living. Also quit looking at new, look instead at used.