cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

First real pull with 2015 and 5th wheel.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
We are in route to Arizona and our mid sized 29' 5th wheel is load to the gills and along with the boxes in the truck. Our GCW is 22,050. On flat roads towing 60-63 we are averaging 12-12.25 MPG. Rear axle on truck is at a surprising 6750 with empty holding tanks and full water in the very rear. After a few days of moving the water forward to the other tanks I saw 6950 on the rear axle! RGAWR is 7K.

We diverted around the Siskiyou Mountains via 101 and the coast. Mileage dropped to 10.5 on this hilly and windy route. I questioned the performance of the new combination under these driving conditions as being similar to my Old Blue 2001.5 RAM that we built to tow this trailer, although the 2015 combo is 1500 lbs heavier.

Then I got a chance on CA-58 from Bakersfield to Tehachapi 400' to 4000' with several 6 % areas to give it a good test. I have to say the new RAM walked up this in 4th gear at 2100 RPM quietly and using only part throttle at 58 MPH, and I could accelerate at will.

Using the new VGT based exhaust brake has been a learn experience. On first blush Old Blues Banks Exhaust brake worked better and was more predictable. With more gears, I am slowly learning that I have to gear down a lot more to get the new exhaust brake to match the old setup.

Comfort, ride and features are all great as we are all experiencing moving from earlier TV to this latest round of refinement that is on the market now. Just watch your weights carefully as I am maxing our 3500 SRW SB with a mid size trailer(packed for snowbirding).

If you have not driven one of these new trucks, go for a test drive, they are so quiet and powerful, and loaded with features! Now learning to use all these neat features takes a few trips to the owners manual. Yesterday morning I went to remote start the truck and set of the panic alarm. Try as I could, I could not stop it. I did everything except push the panic button again after 3 seconds(yep it is in the manual). 2 minutes later it stopped!

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021
23 REPLIES 23

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have upgraded the Brake wiring on the axles to a star configuration with heavier gauge wire.

I am set at heavy electric at 6.0. I had it on 6.5, and i could feel the trailer trying to hold the truck back.

You have pulled the drums and check for grease on the shoes?

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Searching_Ut
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
garyp4951 wrote:
I bet you miss your max brake controller, or did you move it this truck.

I let it go with Old Blue. I bought a 8 year 120k warranty and really do not want to change anything that could effect the warranty.

So far the IBC seems to be doing the job. If I would have bought a used 3rd gen I would have installed the Prodigy that I had kicking around before selling and kept the Max Brake. Chris

Chris

I'm really surprised that you are okay with the IBC on a 2015 Ram. Mine is so bad I'm going to have to install a Prodigy prior to towing the 5er again as it's just plain unsafe. Why the Chrysler engineers decided to limit the braking output to 65 percent of max is beyond me. For my setup that is no where near sufficient for driving the mountainous roads I spend so much time in. I've given up on the dealer trying to resolve it and am working to get Chrysler to get back with me on the issue. I'm also working on a documentation package to try and get the NTSA involved.
2015 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD, 4X4, AISIN, B&W Companion Puck Mount
2016 Heartland Bighorn 3270RS, 1kw solar with Trimetric and dual SC2030, 600 watt and 2k inverters.

CampingN_C_
Explorer
Explorer
NC Hauler wrote:
CampingN.C. wrote:
Agree the exhaust brake has a learning curve, one that I have yet to master towing in the mountains.
Also agree that these new diesels are just plain awesome.

I guess, seeing as how I do 99% of my towing in the mountains, I don't understand the problems. When towing, I'm in tow/Haul and EB is in first setting,(aggressive), and I rarely gear down, and I have 7% grades on several of the Interstates I tow on and even some steeper secondary road downhills.

5er was loaded to 16,300#. I can take my foot off the throttle and truck will almost immediately start slowing me down. EB works great for me...Going to a heavier 5er...I'll get all the weights again, and see how truck performs with the new 5er.

Good report Chris

I just had an issue on a slower two lane where I manually put it in first and the EB didn't activate. I had a thread on it a while back you may remember. I know now I should've just left it alone. I've had no issues other than that.
2018 Ram 3500 DRW CCLB Aisin 4.10 4x4

2018 Jayco Talon 413T
B&W Companion

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
NC Hauler wrote:
Bionic Man wrote:
I am glad that Eyetalian Mexican cross breed is working out for you. After what my neighbors, sisters, football coach's, wife's hairstylist told me about the muffler bearings wearing out in the first 5 miles, I am surprised you haven't had more trouble by now.

Hope you are keeping the closest dealer on speed dial. You are obviously on borrowed time by now.;)

Well, my son's second best buddies wife's sisaer-inlaws uncle told a guy that I know who works with me, who worked one time for another brand truck that his 2nd. cousins sister said that....uh, oh heck, forgot what we were talking about:):h

I think we were talking about fishing. Or, more precisely, trolling.:B
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
Bionic Man wrote:
I am glad that Eyetalian Mexican cross breed is working out for you. After what my neighbors, sisters, football coach's, wife's hairstylist told me about the muffler bearings wearing out in the first 5 miles, I am surprised you haven't had more trouble by now.

Hope you are keeping the closest dealer on speed dial. You are obviously on borrowed time by now.;)

Well, my son's second best buddies wife's sister-inlaws uncle told a guy that I know who works with me, who worked one time for another brand truck that his 2nd. cousins sister said that....uh, oh heck, forgot what we were talking about:):h

You won that one....Eyetalian??:)
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
NC Hauler wrote:
CampingN.C. wrote:
Agree the exhaust brake has a learning curve, one that I have yet to master towing in the mountains.

I guess, seeing as how I do 99% of my towing in the mountains, I don't understand the problems. When towing, I'm in tow/Haul and EB is in first setting,(aggressive), and I rarely gear down, and I have 7% grades on several of the Interstates I tow on and even some steeper secondary road downhills.

5er was loaded to 16,300# I can take my foot off the throttle and truck will almost immediately start slowing me down. EB works great for me...Going to a heavier 5er...I'll get all the weights again, and see how truck performs with the new 5er.

Good report Chris

I think some don't understand the 1100 RPM, EB shuts off at 1100 RPM, thats some of the reason for needing to gear down to keep the RPM's up to keep the EB on. Once all that is figured out the EB on the new Rams work great.

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
CampingN.C. wrote:

5er was loaded to 16,300#. I can take my foot off the throttle and truck will almost immediately start slowing me down. EB works great for me...Going to a heavier 5er...I'll get all the weights again, and see how truck performs with the new 5er.

Good report Chris
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
Bionic Man wrote:

I see where you were going there :B
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
garyp4951 wrote:

I let it go with Old Blue. I bought a 8 year 120k warranty and really do not want to change anything that could effect the warranty.

So far the IBC seems to be doing the job. If I would have bought a used 3rd gen I would have installed the Prodigy that I had kicking around before selling and kept the Max Brake. Chris

Chris

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer

2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

Redterpos3
Explorer
Explorer
I'm going to enjoy mine tomorrow for the first time towing long distance!! Nice report!! Enjoy!
The Travelin' Terrapins!
2016 Ford F-350 SRW;CC;4x4;172WB;6.7PSD;34,000m
2011 Nash 27T 12,995m
2013 Yr1 30nts 3150m
2014 Yr2 52nts 3365m
2015 yr3 25nts 2260m
2016 yr4 46nts 2500m
2017 yr5 24nts 1720m
2018 yr6 4nts 30m

CampingN_C_
Explorer
Explorer
2018 Ram 3500 DRW CCLB Aisin 4.10 4x4

2018 Jayco Talon 413T
B&W Companion

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
MFL wrote:
It seems that new truck is doing a good job for you! Have you needed to use the sliding hitch Yet? I am surprised at your axle wt, and also the combined wt. I am curious, what is the FW GVWR? You must be getting close. It is nice to get that mileage, when you have a lot of miles to cover.

Hope all continues to go well!

Jerry

I have to side it for the release lever to open, so I aways side it for spotting the trailer. Chris