cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fixing TC, need help on a couple things...

SUPERCHARGE
Explorer
Explorer
Hey guys, so I purchased a very decent TC at a nearly given price. Problem is that the previous owners had struck a branch on the drivers side causing some slight damage. Plan was to repair it eventually, but a leak from the overhead skydome prompted me to start tearing it up early after only a few weeks of enjoyment. I opened and ripped the overhang right up, was first surprised at how weak and poorly this thing was built (cheap wood put together with weak staples)and found some rot. Replaced the rot, did a good job REALLY re-enforcing the sagging overhang structure which seemed shockingly weak. Interior overhang panels also being replaced.

So here are the questions...

The leak came from the Sky window, built of plastic, cracked sides, cracked base and broken screw holes covered by layers and layers and layers of old dried out and cracked up sealers . Since I'm too short on time to find a new one, and probably not a wise idea to try and fix and re-use the old one, decided to simply not re-install the top skydome. (heck, the TC already has two others in the main body) Will screw and seal an aluminum sheet instead. Any reason why I shouldn't go this way?

And Where can I typically find materials to repair the aluminum siding, such as bent trimming and replacements sheets? Despite living in Toronto, RV repair material seems to elude me. Home building stores don't seem to have all the answers and supplies. I have damaged trimming (from the previous owners accident)(the ones with all the screws and sealant which keeps the paneling in place) is the most problematic.

The roof seams which I want to seal permanently will be caulked using 3M 5200 (marine caulking). But for the majority of the trimming sealant, the caulking was really plentiful, seemed like thick, soft and gummy/sticky strips, easily softened with a heat gun, assuming to make repairs easy. Can anyone tell me what type of sealant/sealer this could be so I can replace it with something equivalent?

Thanks for the info guys
5 REPLIES 5

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
You might also try search an "RV junkyard" ... we have several around here, and you go in, remove what you need yourself, and then pay for it.

OR, you might try search RV junkyard, tell them what you need, and maybe they'll remove and ship it to you. I'm specifically thinking here the skylight, as they are not cheap --
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

JumboJet
Explorer
Explorer
All Rite

This company sells RV aluminum siding and trim. I replaced some aluminum siding on a 1985 Lance 200 years ago with a product from this company.

SUPERCHARGE
Explorer
Explorer
Ooh...Ok, ill see if I can find one then... Just built a strong wooden frame around that part of the roof but can resize before I finish the project if I find a larger dome.

And ill call dealerships about the soft sealant.

Thanks bud.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
there metal shops that will roll out you design, ours is in deerfeild ohio. BUT if you got water damage you might rethink fixing this Tc ,the wood is junk ,made that way .

Gaetan
Explorer
Explorer
The dome over the bead is also an escape access I would buy a new one maybe a larger size
so you could reinforce the structure.
As far as caulking is concerned all RV stores have some for sale specially made for Rv
Good luck in your project
Gaetan
Gaetan St-Hilaire
2004 silverado 4/4 2500HD long box Duramax/Allison
2003 everest 323k
2003 northernlite ten 2000 rd