cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi raise trailer ball

RVJimofOregon
Explorer
Explorer
I need to increase the height of my trailer tongue up about 2 inches but my WD hitch is maxed out. The way I see it I have 2 ways to go, one is to buy a new WD hitch and the other is to get a hi raise ball. Money wise the ball is a no brainier but am a little worried about having a 2 inch higher ball. It looks like to me they might be under stress. They are rated from 10,000 or higher but still a little worried. Any thoughts of this subject.
Thanks
RV Jim
Jim & Joyce
Central Oregon Coast

26 foot 2004 Komfort travel trailer
2014 Platinum Tundra pickup

Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents,“It was loaned to you by your children”
Indian proverb
13 REPLIES 13

RVJimofOregon
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the input. I have a Husky hitch and will check out a replacement unit. The looks of a hi raise is funny, that is for sure. Also hitting the tailgate is something that I didn't think about either way.
Thanks again.
RV Jim
Jim & Joyce
Central Oregon Coast

26 foot 2004 Komfort travel trailer
2014 Platinum Tundra pickup

Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents,“It was loaned to you by your children”
Indian proverb

jspence1
Explorer
Explorer
I added a high rise ball to my hitch. It still worked but I didn't like the way it looked, it just seemed wrong. I used it for the season and then replaced the hitch. The balls are cheap buy one and try it if you don't like it replace the drawbar or the hitch I think I paid about $15 for one locally.

APT
Explorer
Explorer
It is helpful to know which brand of WDH you have. I have a Reese which came with #54970. It worked fine for my prior TV, but my new TV needed a larger drop so I bought 63971 and I'm still on the bottom holes. Anyway, Reese makes several shanks. So does every other WDH brand. One of them will allow the proper adjustment for your situation.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

Keith_Haw
Explorer
Explorer
I figured there must be cheaper places to get them but was stuck at CW picking up our new (to us) TT so kind of stuck. Yeah it's a heavy dude alright but it's what it took. And have the same problem with opening the tailgate. But I've don't some suspension work on the rear and will see if that helps when I get my trailer back. Hoping I can go back to the regular shank, figures crossed.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Keith Haw wrote:
Had the same problem when we got the Thor Wave. It sat high enough we needed to purchase a longer drop(rise) draw bar. Wound up getting this one. Hate the damn thing but it solved the problem.

Some reason I can't make it clicky so here's the link.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/reese-tall-2-x-2-hitch-bar-assembly/8523

I have the same one - it is a heavy SOB isn't it! :B
I set mine up and then cut off the excess - didn't make much difference though.

Stickbowhip
Explorer
Explorer
I have the same problem in seeing up our new TT. I just ordered the same shank as Keith posted. But I found it a lot cheaper through StreetsideAuto.
Like Keith, I don't think I will like it because it is going to sit high enough that I won't be able to open my tailgate without it coming down on the ball. But it is the only option that I have to get the hitch set up properly.

Keith_Haw
Explorer
Explorer
Had the same problem when we got the Thor Wave. It sat high enough we needed to purchase a longer drop(rise) draw bar. Wound up getting this one. Hate the damn thing but it solved the problem.

Some reason I can't make it clicky so here's the link.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/reese-tall-2-x-2-hitch-bar-assembly/8523

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
Just raising the ball is going to mess up the geometry of the WDH head and your adjustments will be off.

The correct way to do this is to either invert the draw bar or purchase another one that will work.
X2

Going to a high rise ball would be a crapshoot.
The geometry of the WD hitch is designed around a standard ball.... Some have reported doing it with no ill effects, but 2" is a LOT of rise.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Just raising the ball is going to mess up the geometry of the WDH head and your adjustments will be off.

The correct way to do this is to either invert the draw bar or purchase another one that will work.

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Can your shank be inverted?
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

calamus
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same problem the other way. I bought a layton travel trailer to take up to the lake and leave it there the hitch on my truck was to high even a 6" drop was not enough so I bought this Hitch and was able to tow with out breaking off the waste pipe behind the rear tire. I got it where I wanted it put grade 7 bolts through it and then welded it in place and welded on a 1" ball for the sway brace and it worked perfect. One Option may be to go to a welding shop and have them rebuild your WDH, and raise it the 2 inches
2015 3500HD Chevy Dually Duramax, 2008 Sundance 2014 22'SSX bennington pontoon

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
You might start by telling us what brand and model WDH is being discussed.

Many manufacturers sell different shanks that have more adjustment.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I see this hi rise ball from Etrailer has a 25K lb. rating. I know the shear strength of that much metal is many times higher. I'd have no problem using it.

Just practically, if you could pick a point on the shank of the ball and targeted the force on that point, you are not increasing the bending moment considerably by elevating it 2". The most force is directed down from the weight of the trailer hitch and leverage of the WDH bars onto the ball.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton