cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

flat tire

mangchibike
Explorer
Explorer
i just picked up brand new tt (2014 outback 250RS) from a dealer and stopped my home then went to friend's house for storage (total 70 miles) and when i went back following week to try out camping, there is flat tire (no one notice cuz it was covered). So I tried to remove it using 7/8 deep socket (the manual says use 7/8 or 13/16) and i stripped a wheel lug nut so i stop and pump the air and went to local tire shop but it took them 4 hour to remove and fix flat... (well it was small parking lot, and i had to park side of the street and they had to bring all the tool and it was 95 degree day)

By doing this I had to buy all the tool from deep socket, torque wrench, air pump.. everything..

So i made a first trip and went back home check the tire pressure and it did loose more than half (62 to 30). I just could not believe.. so I tried to order new tire from a rv dealer and to get the same tire they don't even know how long it is going to take... (trailer king ST225/75R15 load range D I think they only deal with towmax tires)

So here is the questions
1. can I use different brand tires? I don't think it make a diffrence..
2. why is tt doesn't come with jack and wheel lug nut wrench like cars?
3. I tried to talk to dealer and keystone directly requesting new wheel lug nuts (6 of them) and denied, even though the manual say ues 7/8. The service dept. says use 13/16.
4. this kind siuation what would u recommends? fixing yourself or emergency road service by insurance co? (found out later i could)
5. Do you check tire wheel lug nuts torque pressure often? (manual says so,, but most cars we don't and i don't want to touch them again

I just want to get this over,, change new tire and wheel nuts..
Thank you in advance
9 REPLIES 9

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
1. Same size tires on the same axle however tread design in more important. Tires with different tread design (all season vs a all terrain type tread) can have different braking performance that show up on wet pavement. I would use the same/similar tread design on the same axle. ST tires have similar tread designs so it shouldn't matter.

2. Can't answer that one for ya'.

3. Take the lug nut to a auto parts store or a trailer parts house and get the size required.

4. I have over a million miles towing trailers up to 22k GVWR mostly commercially so I do all my own flat tire changing as I have all the necessary equipment and have done it dozens of times in all types of weather and road conditions.

5. New trailer or new wheels just installed or a wheel after having a flat should be checked for proper torque within a couple of hundred miles of last service.
I use a tire thumper and a visual at each stop. Each tire should sound/look the same. If one isn't I check the pressure.

Your using a ST tire so I would have a TPMS installed. If you don't have the equipment or proper know how for changing a flat tire then its time for a roadside service plan or... get the proper equipment and practice at home. On the road can be a humbling frustrating experience to learn how its done...... safely.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Mike_Taverniti
Explorer
Explorer
Had a similar problem this past winter. Finally discovered a small crack in the wheel ! Replaced wheel and problem solved.

mangchibike
Explorer
Explorer
Yes I did buy 4 way lug wrench also and lots of extra tool.
I think the guy who fixed flat did not do good job, there was nail inside the tire. (He even told me it was done without 2 lug nut got damage when removing... the manager had to cut the nut cover so that I can use it for a while.. they did not have same size)
Just past weekend I pump the air 62 psi went to cc about 2 hour drive only lost few psi, but next morning when we left it was down to 40...then today I decided get new tire.. hopefully It can be done this friday before I head out again this weekend.

mooky_stinks
Explorer
Explorer
I had a situation this weekend. Towing home on 81 in upstate NY. Trailer started to have unusual sway. I pulled off into a rest area to check things out. I quickly noticed the right rear tire was low. I religously check pressures before every trip. Tire had 35lbs in it when it should have had 65lbs. Valve stem guts were leaking. I didn't have the valve guts tool with me so we just went to the next exit and were able to air up the tire to get us home. When we got home I was able to tighten the guts a full turn. Just goes to show you no matter how much you check things, there's no guarantee you're not going to have problems.
2020 F150 XL Screw 4x4 6.5โ€box
3.5 ecoboost Max tow HDPP
7850 GVW. 4800 RAWR
2565 payload

2020 Cougar 29RKS 5th wheel

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
+1 on any brand, but match size and the 4-way.

Keep in mind that if you or the previous owner upgraded tires to ones with max PSI >50 PSI, you likely need a different valve stem.

Of course, check for any leaks in the rim and tire.

I learned the valve stem issue first hand. When >50 PSI with old stems, they tend to leak down.

Your lug wrench/socket/etc should have VERY LITTLE wiggle when placed on a lugnut. Also make sure it is pushed on fully.

A tire that leaks down, even over a few days, is a recipe for disaster. Make sure it gets fixed and stays at MAX sidewall listed pressure.

Sorry you had troubles...

powderman426
Explorer
Explorer
Why not spend a couple hundred dollars and buy a TPMS. That way you get to check tire pressure every few seconds which is much better than trusting you didn't pick up something from the road right after you checked them. You probably spent many thousands on your unit and a flat can cause many thousands if it goes unnoticed which is the case many times. JMO
Ron & Charlotte
WD8CBT since 1976
32' Gulfstream Ameri-Camp & 05 Ram QC LB

I started with nothing and I still have most of it left

I never fail, I just succeed in finding out what doesn't work

amxpress
Explorer
Explorer
1. can I use different brand tires? I don't think it make a diffrence..You can use any ST tire of the same size and construction. i.e. radial
Because a jack and lug wrench cost money which the RV manufactuers do not want to pay. Many don't even come with a spare tire. Buy a hydraulic bottle jack large enough for your TT, maybe like a 6 Ton. Harbor Freight has them cheap. Also, pick up a 4 way lug wrench.
3. I tried to talk to dealer and keystone directly requesting new wheel lug nuts (6 of them) and denied, even though the manual say ues 7/8. The service dept. says use 13/16. Why not try both sizes and see which fits? Seems if the dealer is removing and installing lug nuts, they would know what size. Having a 4 way lug wrench covers all your bases.
4. this kind siuation what would u recommends? fixing yourself or emergency road service by insurance co? (found out later i could)
If you don't mind changing a tire, go for it. Me, I'm too old and lazy so I'll let my road service do it for me.
5. Do you check tire wheel lug nuts torque pressure often? (manual says so,, but most cars we don't and i don't want to touch them again
They would like you to check your lug nuts before each trip, and at a certain mileage interval. I have a $20 torque wrench for that purpose. It's probably a wise thing to do, or so they say.
2021 Toyota Tundra TRD Off Road double cab
2022 Airstream International 27FB
Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch
M.I.L is self quatanting in Jacksonville Zoo

westend
Explorer
Explorer
You will need to dismount the wheel from the trailer and have it inspected to find the cause of the leak. It may be that the rim has a hole or crack, the valve stem is faulty, or there is something causing an imperfect bead seal. I would suggest that you have someone else do the service.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

MackinawMan
Explorer
Explorer
mangchibike wrote:

So here is the questions
1. can I use different brand tires? I don't think it make a diffrence..
3. I tried to talk to dealer and keystone directly requesting new wheel lug nuts (6 of them) and denied, even though the manual say ues 7/8. The service dept. says use 13/16.

I just want to get this over,, change new tire and wheel nuts..
Thank you in advance

1. Yes, you can run different brand tires, just make sure the size is corrrect.

2. Just not a standard in the RV industry.

3. Not surprised

4. Depends on the person. I carry a lug wrench, a bottle jack, some wood boards, a fully inflated spare tire, and a torque wrench/socket with me so I can change out a flat on my TT (or truck) if necessary. But if you can't haul that or change the tire roadside assistance is a good idea IMHO

5.I check the tire pressure and lug nuts before every trip. It only takes 5-10 minutes or so.

Good luck!!
2000 Ford F350 XLT 7.3L PowerStroke Diesel CC 4x4 OffRoad SRW Long Bed
2008 Jayco Eagle 314BHDS (Momma Eagle)
Equalizer Hitch System (1400/14000lbs)
Prodigy Brake Controller
Curt XD Class V Receiver Hitch (1500/15000 lb)