cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flexible roll-out 136w Solar Cell Deal

Boatycall
Explorer
Explorer
Saw this on Amazon.. Killer deal on a flexible, frameless solar panel. Literally peel and stick. Controller not included, you need a good MPPT controller to drop the voltage and up the amperage. At 24 volts they would only output ~ 5amps, but an MPPT will convert that to ~10amps@12v (in ideal conditions).

The catch - look at the dimensions. But I'm considering getting them because I can easily stick them to the roof of my car trailer in my sig.

Amazon Solar Clearance
'15 F450, 30k Superhitch, 48" Supertruss, 19.5's, Torklift Fast Guns
'12 Eagle Cap 1160, 800watts solar, Tristar MPPT, Magnum Hybrid 3k Inverter
'15 Wells Cargo 24' Race Trailer, 600 watts Solar, TriStar MPPT, Xantrex 2kw inverter
'17 Can Am X3 XDS Turbo
21 REPLIES 21

CptnBG
Explorer
Explorer
Now you've got my attention. Being as I camp a lot under dense tree canopy, I've never considered solar very seriously.

For you solar experts, any reason you could not use this as a portable system??
'03 2500HD CrewCab SB 6.0 Gas 4x4
'04 Northstar Laredo SC
Bilsteins 5100
2014 1500 Silverado 5.3 Double Cab
1951 Chevy 3100
Formally OBXcamper

Boatycall
Explorer
Explorer
oops.. double post
'15 Wells Cargo 24' Race Trailer, 600 watts Solar, TriStar MPPT, Xantrex 2kw inverter
'17 Can Am X3 XDS Turbo

Boatycall
Explorer
Explorer
Snowman9000 wrote:
They have been as low as $99 recently.

So I did some poking around on the ole interweb and, low and behold, yes, I found them for $99 Free shipping, plus an extra 3% off if you sign up for thier mailing list. Since I'm looking at 4, that's another whopping $12...
Hey, every little bit helps.

Link to $96, free shipping
'17 Can Am X3 XDS Turbo

mbloof
Explorer
Explorer
I was lucky enough to pick up 2x of the 12V 68W "peal and stick" panels for my 2014 NL. (installed spring 2014)

With a MPPT controller, they are awesome off angle/ambient light collectors, obviously sit flat on the roof and as an added bonus - no mounting holes.

The only downside is that the tar/glue that is used will be a ginormous PITA to get the things off if you ever wanted/needed to. I figured when/if they ever fail I'll simply mount something over the top of them - they are the lightest 68w panels available so I don't really care about the extra weight.

If you have room to unroll and stick the longer one's on your roof (would seem optimum for a TT, MH or 5er) I'd say do it, since they lay flat no added wind resistance or tall catch points to catch overhanging trees.

Its been less than a year and we've only dry camped a few times however the 2x68w with MPPT has kept our single #27 deep cycle topped off enough for us on weekend trips. So far we're very pleased.

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
They have been as low as $99 recently.
Currently RV-less but not done yet.

Boatycall
Explorer
Explorer
Well, it's from Amazon, so if they're doa they'll take care of it. But flexible peel n stick panels in that wattage are $600ish.
'17 Can Am X3 XDS Turbo

Gale_Hawkins
Explorer
Explorer
Wow that is a great price but too bad the company when bankrupt. What would something like that cost from a firm in business today?