cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Foam for beds/seats and replacing the covers

sillynikki
Explorer
Explorer
We just sold our 38 foot travel trailer because it was way too big. Our intentions were to buy a 5th wheel, but because of our teenage daughters cheerleading taking up every spare moment, it didn't make any sense to buy something that we would never have time to use.

Fast forward to today. My parents recently bought a new pop up and are going to sell their little 17 foot pup. They offered it to us instead for the price of $500. DH said how can we pass that up?! We are itching so bad to get back to camping but I do NOT want to sleep on the ground in a tent and without air conditioning. So, needless to say, it looks like we will be buying it off them. We won't have much time to camp, but this would be nice to have on hand for long weekend trips to the lake.

I would really like to replace the foam on the beds and chairs. What is the cheapest way to go about getting that? Also, does anyone have any links or suggestions as to how to make new covers (preferably removable ones that I can wash)?

I can't believe we're going from one extreme to the other, but hey....it's better than nothing and I just want to get back to enjoying the outdoors (while having an air conditioned place to sleep. lol)!
Just sold 38' Coachman Catalina
Ford F250
Kia Soul
4 REPLIES 4

eb145
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased foam online to replace the dinette foam with, but it took me many hours of research to learn about what kind of foam to get and the shipping was pretty expensive.

I should have just gone to a local upholsterer with the dinette pads. They could have helped me pick the right foam and cut it for me.

It was easy to unzip the covers and replace the foam.

Good foam is pretty expensive.

DH is very happy with the new denser foam - comfortable dinette bench seats now.

Ed

rccs
Explorer
Explorer
There are several sellers on Ebay who sell foam rubber of various sizes. I was going to order some to replace the mattress we sleep on in our older popup camper but we decided to go better than that and had a new mattress made for us by Verlo,not real cheap but very comfortable, should have done this years ago.

five_er
Explorer
Explorer
My DW wanted a window seat and I agreed to make it for her. Well I was blown away by the price of foam!! We had an old foam single mattress.. I cut the cover off it and in my application used a bread knife to cut the mattress in half (thickness wise so it was 4 inches or so thick) then used some baton to cover that and so on.. So.. My advice for cheap.. Start with an old foam mattress and a bread knife! I'll leave the covering to others as a window seat is not the same as the base was wood and fabric not removable. (Stapled)
2009 1500 Dodge Sport QC, Prodigy Brake Controller, 2009 KZ 266 MXT

Wakita46
Explorer
Explorer
You might take a look at www.thefoamfactory.com