cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

ford ecoboost

boingram
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all...my wife and I r going to buy a larger tt in the 7500 pound range. The new ford f150 ecoboost properly equipped is rated at 11300 with the 3.73 limited slip dif.

The f250 superduty w diesel is way overkill and another 20k in cost.

Anybody had experience w the ecoboost....340 pound feet of torque btw...thx.., bo
83 REPLIES 83

bigcitypopo
Explorer
Explorer
EcoBullet wrote:
bobbyg123 wrote:
bigcitypopo wrote:
Personally... if you can afford the 3/4ton, you'll be better off.

I don't agree with this comment across the board. If you're a weekend warrior who tows your rig short distances and use your truck as a daily driver, a 1/2 makes more sense provided your within your weight limits.

I agree with bobbyg123, even if you tow longer distances as long as your trailer doesn't max out your payload ratings. I've towed close to 7K of the 24K miles on my truck. The only time I wished for more truck was when pulling a 33' trailer in a heavy crosswind.

Not many 3/4 tons will get 20+ mpg hwy or ride as smooth, and I'm unaware of a supercrew 3/4 ton available with 5 1/2' bed that will fit in my garage easily.

I'd tend to agree... But, seeing that I logged 19k miles towing with a 30ft 7500lb dry trailer. With an ecoboost to boot... I've pulled the Rockies, the sierras, and grapevine a ton... I've been through the wind, snow, and rain. The ecoboost was a great truck, but... I was always doing the math for payload. I'm seeing the same mileage in my cummin, as I was in the ecoboost.... Right out of the shute. I'd gladly have a heavy half, if I wasn't towing so much. But now that I've been in a 3/4 ton, just came home from an 800mile trip... Wow. What. Difference.

I loved my Eco.... I am thrououly impressed with my RAM. But you can't ignore the numbers.

Oh.... My ram is 3" longer than my f150' 4" taller, with 1100lbs more payload... ๐Ÿ˜‰
2014 RAM 2500 BigHorn CrewCab 4x2 ShortBox, 6.7L CTD
2014 Keystone Springdale 294bhssrwe - Hensley Arrow!
The best wife, 2 kids and a bunch of fun

EcoBullet
Explorer
Explorer
majorgator wrote:
I don't agree at all with the notion that a 1/2 ton is better, when you're pushing the limits. [majorgator]

Who said it was?:?
Me 1954, Nana 1954, Grandson 2003, Granddaughters 2005 & 2008
2014 Keystone Bullet Premier 22RBPR
2013 F-150 XLT Supercrew 4X4 Ecoboost Max Tow

majorgator
Explorer
Explorer
I don't agree at all with the notion that a 1/2 ton is better, when you're pushing the limits. As I've already said pushing the limits is never a good idea. You want to pull a 5K or 6K trailer, then enjoy the 1/2 ton. If you're pulling the 8K trailer, then your TV needs to increase in size.

Get the bigger truck and be safer...if not for you, then for others on the road.

To the poster who talked about the semis falling behind on the hills...they do that because they don't want to dump the fuel it takes to keep speed, and to also stay safe coming down the hill. It is most certainly not for a lack power.
SAVED BY GRACE, THROUGH FAITH*
1998 Coachmen Catalina Lite 248TB
TV: 1996 F350 Crew Cab 4x4 7.3L Diesel (a man's truck)

*signature amended so that religious components aren't included (per "Admin")...hooray, now nobody will be offended by my personal beliefs

EcoBullet
Explorer
Explorer
bobbyg123 wrote:
bigcitypopo wrote:

I don't agree with this comment across the board. If you're a weekend warrior who tows your rig short distances and use your truck as a daily driver, a 1/2 makes more sense provided your within your weight limits.

I agree with bobbyg123, even if you tow longer distances as long as your trailer doesn't max out your payload ratings. I've towed close to 7K of the 24K miles on my truck. The only time I wished for more truck was when pulling a 33' trailer in a heavy crosswind.

Not many 3/4 tons will get 20+ mpg hwy or ride as smooth, and I'm unaware of a supercrew 3/4 ton available with 5 1/2' bed that will fit in my garage easily.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
brulaz wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:
Seems obvious that the F250 is loaded with options not on the F150 example. What can I say? Apples & oranges.

No. Just different options, for example the F150 has the fancier display with instantaneous graphical mpg displays and so on. But the F250 has rear-view camera. Certainly nowhere near $8400 worth of option difference.

You can build trucks that are closer option-wise, but you will never get rid of that 8K difference, at least not at Canadian site. I've tried repeatedly and it's always 7-10K difference depending upon how I do it.

There's just no way Ford is going to give you a heavier duty truck with the same options as a lighter duty truck for a lower or even equivalent price. You guys are just dreaming.
Did the Ford build compiler ask for your postal code before you were able to start the selection? It did when I started the build selections. These trucks are not sold at the same price across the continent. That may be why you are seeing the big differences. I'm not dreaming, if I wanted to take the time to download a screen saver app, it would show the price of an F-250 and a 150 with EB, the 150 being higher.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

bobbyg123
Explorer
Explorer
bigcitypopo wrote:

2018 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5BHDS
2017 Ford F-350 CC 6.2L

gunner65
Explorer
Explorer
EcoBullet wrote:
gunner65 wrote:
The road that my tt is stored on has a deep vally that drops to a river then climbs sharply back up that should be a nice test as I know how my avalanche performs there.

Now unloaded this truck will put a smile on anyones face the acceleration from a dead stop is amazing. Going to be hard to keep the tread on rear tires!

My prediction is that you will wonder how you tolerated towing with the Avalanche. :S If unloaded acceleration gives you a smile, towing acceleration will give you a huge grin.:B

The feature on my truck that keeps me from spinning tires and wasting gas is the fuel economy calculator on the screen. I like to see those numbers over 20 empty and over 10 when towing.

Yes it towed the 50 mile round trip spectacular. Even with the 3.73 gears my avalanche was not enough truck. I hate to say the old saying that always irritates me when I hear others say it but "I could hardly tell it was back there" Indeed at times no bucking plenty of acceleration and power to spare.

bigcitypopo
Explorer
Explorer
If you get Lariat package in either the F150/F250 they are going to have similar features offered.

F250 will have more weight than the F150... not just heavier payload.. when your trailer weighs more than your truck, you are more likely to experience "the tail wagging the dog"

a 3/4 ton truck is not too much. Personally... if you can afford the 3/4ton, you'll be better off.

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
Seems obvious that the F250 is loaded with options not on the F150 example. What can I say? Apples & oranges.

No. Just different options, for example the F150 has the fancier display with instantaneous graphical mpg displays and so on. But the F250 has rear-view camera. Certainly nowhere near $8400 worth of option difference.

You can build trucks that are closer option-wise, but you will never get rid of that 8K difference, at least not at Canadian site. I've tried repeatedly and it's always 7-10K difference depending upon how I do it.

There's just no way Ford is going to give you a heavier duty truck with the same options as a lighter duty truck for a lower or even equivalent price. You guys are just dreaming.
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
brulaz wrote:
westend wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:
I think that you owe it to yourself to completely price out the F150 and the F250. You might be surprised to learn that there is less difference than you think.
I just used the build your own feature and the F-250 in the configuration I wanted is a couple of thousand less than the ecoboost. Also, 2015 F-250 vs 2014 F150.

Dunno how you folks do that. I always end up 7-10K Can$ more for the F250 6.2L versus F150 EcoB with HD Payload and similar features. Thats either on the lots or with the build feature.

But I would expect to pay more. The F250 is a heavier built truck, and they build fewer of them than the F150.

Since you need to add in the engine, tires, suspension, tow package and more to get closer to a F250, the price gap nearly closes. I looked at comparing trucks similar to mine and, after incentives, the price was about the same.

????
But I do just that: EcoB engine, HD Payload (includes LT tires, HD shocks and suspension) + Maxtow (1150# hitch) packages compared to F250.

Maybe it's just different in Ontario, Canada. The biggest Ford truck dealer in Ontario (Hanna Motors) has both F150 HD Payload and F250s on the lot.
Hanna F250
F150 EcoB HD Payload
About 8.4K Can$ difference, trucks with similar options, XLT model.
And I get similar results when using the Canadian web build app.

But of course the F250 is heavier duty rig with more payload (and worse mileage). And that's why you pay more.

Seems obvious to me.
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

bigcitypopo
Explorer
Explorer
I loved my ecoboost... Towed my current trailer great. In honesty, you can't go wrong with more truck... An F250 , RAM/GM 2500 is not overkill. I upgraded due to it being the right time... I would not hesitate in buying another ecoboost. Get the standard bed/HD. Max tow... You'll need the payload. I added airbags for comfort.

Good luck

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
brulaz wrote:
westend wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:
I think that you owe it to yourself to completely price out the F150 and the F250. You might be surprised to learn that there is less difference than you think.
I just used the build your own feature and the F-250 in the configuration I wanted is a couple of thousand less than the ecoboost. Also, 2015 F-250 vs 2014 F150.

Dunno how you folks do that. I always end up 7-10K Can$ more for the F250 6.2L versus F150 EcoB with HD Payload and similar features. Thats either on the lots or with the build feature.

But I would expect to pay more. The F250 is a heavier built truck, and they build fewer of them than the F150.

Since you need to add in the engine, tires, suspension, tow package and more to get closer to a F250, the price gap nearly closes. I looked at comparing trucks similar to mine and, after incentives, the price was about the same.

Atlee
Explorer II
Explorer II
Today I'm signing all the paper work for a new 2014 F150 Scab 4x4 w/ 8' bed, HD pkg and Max tow package, and EB engine.

Virginia dealers did not have any HD pkg trucks. My local dealer found 4 up in PA. They secured one, and are driving it down today.

I wanted the Heavy Duty & Max Tow pkgs in order to add 1000# to the GVWR. Went from the standard 7200# to 8200#.

I also wanted the ability to move up from my current trailer to a larger trailer and not worry with TV change.

PS - The deal has been done.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

EcoBullet
Explorer
Explorer
gunner65 wrote:
The road that my tt is stored on has a deep vally that drops to a river then climbs sharply back up that should be a nice test as I know how my avalanche performs there.

Now unloaded this truck will put a smile on anyones face the acceleration from a dead stop is amazing. Going to be hard to keep the tread on rear tires!

My prediction is that you will wonder how you tolerated towing with the Avalanche. :S If unloaded acceleration gives you a smile, towing acceleration will give you a huge grin.:B

The feature on my truck that keeps me from spinning tires and wasting gas is the fuel economy calculator on the screen. I like to see those numbers over 20 empty and over 10 when towing.