cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ford Expedition 2012 EL Limited 31 foot Trailer

linchat
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all, new to the forums and new to RVing. Have a small dimemna. We purchased Ford Expedition 2012 EL (131" Wheel) with Tow Package allow for 8900# towing. We are looking at Cougar 31SQB at 7200#.

Do you think it is a good marriage? Any thoughts? Thanks.
44 REPLIES 44

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
deleted. came in too late with trailer suggestions.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Glad to hear it's working out. Sounds like you came here and asked questions. You then took that info and started looking at other options. You were smart to come here first and get some helpful insight (from some of us anyway!) LOL

It's nice when people come back and give an update.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

linchat
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I just happened to google some info and this topic came up. Wow, a year + few months since this started. So to go back and let you know my tow setup..

Ford Expedition 2012 EL (3.73 stock with tow pack)
35' Passport Ultra Light (600# Tounge)
Around 6300 dry for TT.
Equalizer Hitch.

This setup has been perfect. Been all over the place, no probs with TV or TT. We've been averaging trips couple times a month, usually within 300 miles of home. Very happy with the whole setup. No complaints, everything stable, easy to tow.

Worst prob I had, we had a big wind storm, I DID NOT block the wheels... Where my rv is stored, the wind literally pushed it down into a ditch. I had the front stabilizers down, which were bent about 70 degrees forward. Hundred bucks to repair. Other then that lesson (always block the wheels) everything has been A-OK.

tankgod82
Explorer
Explorer
Well look at my rig in my signature. It pulls great. I just wish I could get my wife to go camping now....lol.
TV 2010 Ford Expedition
TT 2007 Spree by K.Z. 320BHS
Wife, 7 y/o daughter, 4 y/o daughter, 1y/o son,

nomad297
Explorer
Explorer
And I forgot to mention, last year I pulled a Ford Expedition and a travel trailer the rest of the way up a hill in a campground after it's transmission blew. It was this guy's first trip with his new TT, which was substantially smaller than the one the OP purchased. Some people have to learn the hard way.

Bruce
2010 Skyline Nomad 297 Bunk House, 33-1/4 feet long
2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4x4, 6.0 liter long bed with 4.10 rear, 3885# payload
Reese Straight-Line 1200# WD with built-in sway control
DirecTV -- SWM Slimline dish on tripod, DVR and two H25 receivers

nomad297
Explorer
Explorer
Sometimes, I wonder why people even come here to ask for advice. Most of the time they already have their mind made up that they're going to do whatever they want regardless of what experienced people tell them. Why do they even bother to ask?

Bruce
2010 Skyline Nomad 297 Bunk House, 33-1/4 feet long
2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4x4, 6.0 liter long bed with 4.10 rear, 3885# payload
Reese Straight-Line 1200# WD with built-in sway control
DirecTV -- SWM Slimline dish on tripod, DVR and two H25 receivers

Ron35816
Explorer
Explorer
Please look at a ligter TT. We have a EXP short WB with tow package and pull a 30' Apex whith a 4960 lb and a 7000 gross weight and it pulls it okay, not speedy but gave us no problems in 5000 miles so far. Happy Camping!

NLPRacing
Explorer
Explorer
SprinklerMan wrote:
Terryallan wrote:
SprinklerMan wrote:
I pull a 30 ft sunset creek with a v10 excursion . Its a 3/4 ton truck basically . My truck is rated for 10k towing , camper weighs 8400lbs loaded .I know its back there. What always concerns me when towing is braking , I can stop with the 3/4 tons brakes , I wouldnt trust a 1/2 ton vehicle with towing weight with family on board .

Again. Neither the brakes on your Excursion, OR a 1500 truck , are rated to stop the trailer. The brakes on the Ex are only rated to stop the GVW of the Ex. Not the TT. That's what the TT brakes do.

Don't be fooled in to thinkin a bigger truck is rated to stop a bigger tailer. It's not. Anything over the GVWR of the TV, the TT brakes have to stop.

They may not be rated to but they will , The brakes and calipers are bigger on my excursion vs my old f 150 , yes the ex has a greater curb weight . but it will stop both rather well with out the trailer brakes. Accidents happen , as well as mistakes , a friend had his trailer plug come loose on his tripple axle 5th wheel pulling with a f 350 dually , going down an good incline , he stopped safely , found a parts store spent the next 2 hours replacing all the brakes and front rotars. Bigger brakes , better stopping .

I just replaced the brakes on my 07 Expedition EL after getting over 80,000 miles out of them. The rotors are about 14" in diameter all the way around and the front calipers are huge with 4 pistons. I was bit a surprised to see that big of brakes on it until I paid for the rotors & pads, they were expensive! Stopping, whether I was empty, loaded or towing, has never been a problem.

BTW - I use a Prodigy brake controller when towing.
2014 Ford F150 Raptor towing our 2013 Kodiak 300BHSL

mister_d
Explorer
Explorer
linchat wrote:
Yes, a 35' passport ulta lite with an 2012 expedition extra long and equalizer hitch. It tows, honestly great. I could see doing 400 miles a day no prob if the kids did not chew on my brain and wear me out. ๐Ÿ™‚

I weighed my whole setup before leaving on camp trip and it was around 13k, 2k under GCVWR.

This is my first time with TT, and besides hitting a number of objects like the house, a stop sign, etc.... Its been good.

It tows well, been towing boats for number of years, this setup is outside of that envelope, but has been very stable and of no concern while pulling. My biggest problem I am having is driving slow, that is why I hit things. ๐Ÿ™‚

Setup:

Around 6300 dry for TT.
Equalizer Hitch.

All said and done, 4 kids + gear, I am (depending on trip and length) 1.5k - 2k under GCVWR.

Glad to hear it's a good match for the TV and family! Our only problem came with sway but it sounds like everything is dialed in great!
Our Adventures
Me '77 DW '78
DD '04 DS '07
Yellowstone + more Trip Report
2011 F150 4x4 Ecoboost 6.5 SCREW 3.73 Max Tow
2011 Lacrosse 296BHS video tour
Hensley Arrow

linchat
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, a 35' passport ulta lite with an 2012 expedition extra long and equalizer hitch. It tows, honestly great. I could see doing 400 miles a day no prob if the kids did not chew on my brain and wear me out. ๐Ÿ™‚

I weighed my whole setup before leaving on camp trip and it was around 13k, 2k under GCVWR.

This is my first time with TT, and besides hitting a number of objects like the house, a stop sign, etc.... Its been good.

It tows well, been towing boats for number of years, this setup is outside of that envelope, but has been very stable and of no concern while pulling. My biggest problem I am having is driving slow, that is why I hit things. ๐Ÿ™‚

Setup:

Around 6300 dry for TT.
Equalizer Hitch.

All said and done, 4 kids + gear, I am (depending on trip and length) 1.5k - 2k under GCVWR.

linchat
Explorer
Explorer
No trany speed dial needed. The TT is pretty light and tows great. 6300lb dry. Well within range.

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Glad it worked out, happy camping! Keep your transmission guy on speed dial.

linchat
Explorer
Explorer
Been like 5 months since I replied to this. Below is what I am replying to.

Yes, It tows it great! Have no real concerns at all. I am surprised to, I think I could have gone with heavier trailor and been fine. But, have kids, so I am staying well within weight safety limits. I am about 1,400 LBS under for the GCWR on this setup. Took to local weigh station for verification.

Besides backing into the house a couple times (only dentend rain gutters) been good. Have 35' driveway, and tt just fits in with inches to spare.

Posted By: linchat on 02/14/13 09:22pm

Ended up with Keystone Passport 3220bh. Towed fine, added equalizer hitch. About 8-9 mpg though.

Posted By: CarolinaHokie on 02/16/13 11:45amPosted By: CarolinaHokie on 02/16/13 11:45am

Linchat, no we have the regular length. Shorter wheelbase but more tow capacity. We did get the 3.73 axle ratio to assist with towing.

Wow, you are towing a 35 foot trailer with an expedition??

Ron_Gratz
Explorer
Explorer
moose44 wrote:
---One thing that may be not to your advantage is the fact your Expedition is EL version. That means the distance between your trailer hitch ball and your back tires are longer than typical Expedition.

---I am saying that maybe one area EL version of Expedition is not as good as other TV.---
It is correct that the rear overhang of the EL is longer than that of the standard Expedition -- 51.1" vs 48.3".

However, you also must consider the difference in wheelbase -- 131" for the EL vs 119" for the standard.

The TV's yaw stability depends, in part, on the ratio of rear overhang divided by wheelbase -- the lower the ratio, the better the stability.

The EL's ratio is 51.1/131 = 0.39. The standard's ratio is 48.3/119 = 0.406.

The EL's longer wheelbase more than compensates for the longer rear overhang.
And, the extra 300# of curb weight also gives some added stability for the EL.

Ron