cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

ford f-150 ecoboost?

Clemson11
Explorer
Explorer
I hear a lot of bad press on the ecoboost. Does anyone here pull with one and what as your experience been with it. Would you buy it again? I just can't make up my mind on it.
45 REPLIES 45

Explorer II
Explorer II
Kevin O. wrote:
2112 wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
Clemson11 wrote:
I hear a lot of bad press on the ecoboost. Does anyone here pull with one and what as your experience been with it. Would you buy it again? I just can't make up my mind on it.

Here's a video for your viewing entertainment.

Linky

Keep in mind this is with either a Max Tow or HD vehicle. Not all EB's will have the same capability, especially when it comes to payload.
Obviously the tow rating and payload ratings are different with each model but the Ecoboost engine makes the same hp/torque no matter what it's in.

I'm pointing out the obvious to you and me but not everyone realizes this. Some see an F150 EB badge towing a heavy trailer or FW and think a Platinum 4X4 dresser can do the same.

I know two people personally that bought high $$ dressers under pressure from the other half only to realize their limitations as being a usable truck. The bells and whistles come with a price, payload. I show them my stripped down Max Tow that cost half the $$ and they kick themselves in the head.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Kevin_O_
Explorer
Explorer
2112 wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
Clemson11 wrote:

Linky

Keep in mind this is with either a Max Tow or HD vehicle. Not all EB's will have the same capability, especially when it comes to payload.
Obviously the tow rating and payload ratings are different with each model but the Ecoboost engine makes the same hp/torque no matter what it's in.
KEVIN :C
DW-Debbie :R
DS-Tyler 11yrs old:D
DD-Makayla 8yrs old:p
MERIDEN,CT
2001 Ford Powerstroke F350 Lariat
2012 Keystone Outback 292BH-OLD
2016 Jayco 29.5BHDS-NEW

Explorer II
Explorer II
FishOnOne wrote:
Clemson11 wrote:

Linky

Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm coming up on 3 years 30,000 miles and love this truck. She still makes me smile ๐Ÿ™‚
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

FishOnOne
Nomad
Nomad
Clemson11 wrote:

Linky
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

FishOnOne
Nomad
Nomad
rhagfo wrote:
fla-gypsy wrote:
Any problems with the EB were very limited and an extremely small percentage. It has been around long enough to prove it is a great towing motor in the right application.

I am no longer a true Blue Ford fan, went with a Cummins/Ram for my diesel. That said i have stated before I really think Ford hit a Home Run with the EB!

I think they have addressed the early issues, and they seem to be strong pullers.

I went with a Ford 6.7 Power Stroke for my diesel. That being said, I agree Ford did good with the EB and the PSD! :B
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

EcoBullet
Explorer
Explorer
Kevin O. wrote:
I prefer to be able to climb steep grades towing 7500lbs with the engine purring along and never seeing anything above 2600rpms. That's much more relaxing to me on a long drive then constantly listening to an engine downshift and hit 4000rpms to maintain speed on every hill. But that's just me...:B

No, it's not just you. It's me too.
Me 1954, Nana 1954, Grandson 2003, Granddaughters 2005 & 2008
2014 Keystone Bullet Premier 22RBPR
2013 F-150 XLT Supercrew 4X4 Ecoboost Max Tow

mhsmith
Explorer
Explorer
Ordered mine in March of 2012, had it four weeks later and would do it again. I love the 36 gal tank. Oh...love the way it pulls our trailer-all 7800 lbs of it. I almost pulled the trigger in 2010 for a new truck, but glad I couldn't cause I would have missed this one as I keep them a loooonnng time (10-12yrs). Only downfall...I need a new garage now cause the supercrew with the 6.5 bed doesn't fit to well. We went with the longer bed incase we get a urge to buy a 5th wheel in the future.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Kevin O. wrote:
Lessmore wrote:
I don't doubt the EcoBoost V6 is ok. I understand that it outsells the 5 liter V8 by a significant margin.

Thing I don't understand is why ? I have a couple of friends who have 5 liter V8 F 150's...one a '12, the other a '13.

Power is similar...although the V6 torque is greater....the V8 has that wonderful V8 exhaust note....the V6...sort of a blaaat.

But that's just me... I'm a V8 person I suppose.
You are correct in saying they have similar power #'s. But the biggest difference is when those peak #'s come into play. The Eco reaches max torque(420lb/ft) at 2500rpms and the 5.0 around 4000rpms(385lb/ft). A bunch of us don't care about the wonderful exhaust note. I prefer to be able to climb steep grades towing 7500lbs with the engine purring along and never seeing anything above 2600rpms. That's much more relaxing to me on a long drive then constantly listening to an engine downshift and hit 4000rpms to maintain speed on every hill. But that's just me...:B

Sounds like a diesel vs gas argument:)

Kevin_O_
Explorer
Explorer
Lessmore wrote:
I don't doubt the EcoBoost V6 is ok. I understand that it outsells the 5 liter V8 by a significant margin.

Thing I don't understand is why ? I have a couple of friends who have 5 liter V8 F 150's...one a '12, the other a '13.

Power is similar...although the V6 torque is greater....the V8 has that wonderful V8 exhaust note....the V6...sort of a blaaat.

You are correct in saying they have similar power #'s. But the biggest difference is when those peak #'s come into play. The Eco reaches max torque(420lb/ft) at 2500rpms and the 5.0 around 4000rpms(385lb/ft). A bunch of us don't care about the wonderful exhaust note. I prefer to be able to climb steep grades towing 7500lbs with the engine purring along and never seeing anything above 2600rpms. That's much more relaxing to me on a long drive then constantly listening to an engine downshift and hit 4000rpms to maintain speed on every hill. But that's just me...:B
MERIDEN,CT
2016 Jayco 29.5BHDS-NEW

Nebraska_Rambli
Explorer
Explorer
I bought one of the first in 2011. Max trailer package. I would buy another without hesitation. I have a 7,000 pound 32 foot trailer. I had a Chevy 5.3 liter that did not do well with this trailer. The only thing I wish I would of done different is wait another year to buy my Eco. I have a 26 gallon fuel tank and in 2012 they introduced a 36. When traveling with the trailer it would be nice to have the extra fuel. Other than that no problems what so ever. I am retiring in 92 days (but whose counting) and me and the D.W. are looking forward to traveling. See you on the highway. Oh and yes the torque at low RPM's is great. The acceleration from a dead stop onto the interstate is great. When I hit a mountain 50mph minimum in 4th or 5th gear no problem.
2011 KZ Spree 310 RLS 6700lbs
2011 Ford XLT Supercrew Bronze V-6 Ecoboost Max trailer package. 2600
payload and 11,200 tow capacity. 6 1/2 foot bed with factory trailer brake, trailer sway control, rear camera.
Nickname Truck (Therma) Trailer (Louise)

Kevin_O_
Explorer
Explorer
I have owned mine for almost 2 1/2yrs now with 31,000 miles. Not a single hiccup since i drove her off the dealers lot(Knock on wood). Out of the 31,000 miles 8200 of them are from towing our 32' Outback weighing between 7500-8000lbs. Could not be happier with the job she does! I average 10mpg towing, around town i average 15 and on the highway I have gotten a best of 19.4mpg. I have absolutely no complaints considering it's a 6000lb 4x4 truck.. I would not hesitate on buying another one!
MERIDEN,CT
2016 Jayco 29.5BHDS-NEW

milo
Explorer II
Explorer II
13' XLT HD Ecoboost, build date Oct 31, 2012 .. 11,700 miles. city mpg 15.2-15.6, hiway 21.3-21.8 and towing a 8600# TT 9.8-10.6 Last September & October on a 32 day trip up to & back from the Northwest part of the country it rained or snowed on us 29 of those days. Not a single hiccup, burp, belch or fart from it. What a fantastic towing machine.
Janet & Milo ...47 fantastic yrs 2gether :B
Mona Yorkie & Buddy our beloved Beagle (both in spirit)
2013 F-150 Kodiak Brown XLT 4X4 HD Ecoboost
2014 Cougar 26sab

Living under the best Government money can buy ... Bob Brinker ๐Ÿ˜‰

CND_SuperCrew
Explorer
Explorer
Lessmore wrote:

See if they still like their V8 towing a 6000k+ TT at over 6000' asl....

Thats my reason for the EB....
TV 2012 F150 loaded XLT EB SuperCrew 7700GVWR Maxtow 6.5'
TT 2021 Keystone Passport GT 2870RL